Kick Heads.

DrewTheShoe

Drew back, now with a few inquiries about kick heads.

The first is about the batter, simply a question of which head.
I've been browsing, looking, and trolling and have found that I would be interested in either the heads from the SuperKick series or one of the EMAD's.
So, I'm looking for loads low-end,and a fat, warm, BOOM from the bass, and would either of these heads do the job? Which model would suit it best? If neither of these heads, which one would you recommend?
I have a 22x20 kick, if that influences the decision.

The second question is about the reso.
I have a Tama stock reso, and I personally like the looks of it. I've seen that lots of people keep stock resos for looks, but I have also noticed a significant amount of others buying new resos. So, do you have any suggestions with resos? I'm really open for anything with these.

I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm pretty new to drumming, and I'm short on money. Knowing that you guys know a LOT more about drumming and heads then I do, I decided to make the most of my resources.
Thanks in advance! :)

I'm a Remo guy, so I use the Powerstroke 3. The Superkick (Aquarian) and the EMAD (Evans) are basically in the same "ballpark", and very popular kick drum batter heads. All have secret corporate "patented" muffling devices designed into them. The only real way for you to decide, is really try 'em all out yourself. What drummer A, B, and C have to say about what they like, and what you like the most might be two different things. Most company logo heads are 1 ply "Ambassador" type heads. I, personally, dislike the logo head look. I'm not a "sponsored" stock car driver, so my car doesn't have "Oldsmobile" written on it in big letters. So neither do my drums have a huge "logo" on the front head. If you want to change out your reso., you can get "logo" decals to put on the head of your choice. Easy enough.

Drew back, now with a few inquiries about kick heads.

The first is about the batter, simply a question of which head.
I've been browsing, looking, and trolling and have found that I would be interested in either the heads from the SuperKick series or one of the EMAD's.
So, I'm looking for loads low-end,and a fat, warm, BOOM from the bass, and would either of these heads do the job? Which model would suit it best? If neither of these heads, which one would you recommend?

If you want boom from the bass drum, stay away from those heads, especially the 2-ply versions. The SKs in particular are quite dead sounding--you won't get "boom" out of them.

Try something like a Remo PS3 or Evans EQ4 for the batter. Tune the reso up to the point where it begins to make a real tone with some bottom and sustain. This is higher than "just above wrinkle" but not by much. Then tune the batter a smidge higher. The higher you go on the batter the more attack and less sustain you'll get.

Back