Kangaroo Hide Drum Heads.

Australia is a very big land, many ill thought out introductions of animals and fauna have exploded out of control.. ( Cane Toads ) come to mind.. I don't think whining is the right choice of word to describe concerns about the environmental damage caused by these introductions.. The sheer size and remoteness of the country makes it difficult to right the wrongs so to speak.. Camel Heads could be a more helpful product maybe?

I would LOVE to try out camel drum heads.

After 60,000 years of human migration and population expansion we've remodeled the planet. It's a little late to let nature take it's natural course. . Because we've domesticated plants and animals that they now dominate species compare to wild then harvested them in one area and export to another. The US was remodeled with non indigenous species. We are stewards of the earth-poor ones but too late really to do much now but more human engineering. War, disease, and famine control human populations and we do everything we can to try and eliminate that which nature has provided. After years of medical research my initial ecology background haunted me what am I doing-disease is natural it's ironically good. Now I hate cancer and a dear friend just died from it Monday this week. So now we want to live 1000 years with no disease, no war, no famine. That's delusional and against all nature, biology., evolution and ecology. Seems no matter what diseases we conquer a new one will arise. Even controlling deer populations in US isn't stopping the spread of numerous diseases in their populations like chronic wasting disease, etc. We acted like gods creating a new planet of our own liking-screw everything else attitude. Maybe if we go back 10,000 years ago we could prevent the mass extinction event altering biomass of carbon cycle and altering every natural cycle-nitrogen, phosphorus, water, etc. setting us up for climactic change. We remodeled the planet and most life. Humans really don't have any redeeming qualities. We should make drum heads out of human skin sort of poetic justice, karma, setting things right ROFL.

After 60,000 years of human migration and population expansion we've remodeled the planet. It's a little late to let nature take it's natural course. . Because we've domesticated plants and animals that they now dominate species compare to wild then harvested them in one area and export to another. The US was remodeled with non indigenous species. We are stewards of the earth-poor ones but too late really to do much now but more human engineering. War, disease, and famine control human populations and we do everything we can to try and eliminate that which nature has provided. After years of medical research my initial ecology background haunted me what am I doing-disease is natural it's ironically good. Now I hate cancer and a dear friend just died from it Monday this week. So now we want to live 1000 years with no disease, no war, no famine. That's delusional and against all nature, biology., evolution and ecology. Seems no matter what diseases we conquer a new one will arise. Even controlling deer populations in US isn't stopping the spread of numerous diseases in their populations like chronic wasting disease, etc. We acted like gods creating a new planet of our own liking-screw everything else attitude. Maybe if we go back 10,000 years ago we could prevent the mass extinction event altering biomass of carbon cycle and altering every natural cycle-nitrogen, phosphorus, water, etc. setting us up for climactic change. We remodeled the planet and most life. Humans really don't have any redeeming qualities. We should make drum heads out of human skin sort of poetic justice, karma, setting things right ROFL.
I understand human skin is attached differently and they're much harder to skin than many other animals. Never tested that information, though... :O

Well my parents beat me, my brothers beat me and other family, my friends beat me and my enemies. So it seems inevitable I would become the monster- a beater- so I play drums. I wish all those I listed did but no they beat me. It’s part of my new book Drumming your Way Back to Good Mental Health . You have to beat it. Hey thats cstchy I like that!

No you could use human skin to make drum heads. Scalp is thick skin and you will need some seriously big fat headed people. Now plenty of thin skin like belly that should make great thin Hazy reso heads. People that have tattoos might bring a higher costs?

Australia whines about the environment yet they keep ONE MILLION non-native feral CAMELS around. The population doubles about every nine years. Permission is required to cull them. Bizarre.

There are believed to be more than 1 million camels in Australia and the country's camel population is growing rapidly
Not sure what you mean by "we keep" 1 million (now 1.2 million in 2021 apparently) feral camels around.

Feral implies they are roaming the countryside (which they are) and causing massive damage to the environment (hence the "whinging" and the culls). It's not like we're keeping them locked up in a zoo somewhere and letting them out on weekends.

Same as cane toads, rabbits and feral cats, an introduced species is running rampant and needs controlling- where does the bizarre part come in?

Culling won’t eliminate them. Killing all of them is required.
I think the main issue is simply the size of the problem and the costs involved.
There are businesses that capture camels, herd them and sell them back to the Middle East. But it's a vast area of The Outback and it's a costly operation.
The other thing is - out of sight, out of mind. Living in Sydney or Melbourne you would never know there is an issue with feral animals.
Most of these animals proliferate in regions where there are very few people.
There are large damaging communities of feral rats, rabbits, horses, camels, goats, pigs, deer, foxes, cane toads, cats and dogs.
In the area I lived in just outside Sydney there was a problem with packs of wild dogs, basically escaped pets. Pet cats have been one of the biggest destructors of native animals in Australia.
I know there are periodic campaigns to eradicate some feral animals, but it's time consuming and costly. People pig hunt for fun, and also shoot kangaroos for fun. Farmers put down poison bait for foxes and wild dogs, but that's obviously indiscriminate in what other mammals it kills.
I don't think there are many occasions where native animals need to be culled, especially after the devastating bush fires of 19-24 months ago.

Last edited:
There are YouTube videos where people are outraged over the small-scale killing of camels in Australia. These killings are actually rare. Politicians mostly don’t want to admit that killing is necessary and what is being done is actually insufficient. I didn’t see any pro-eradication videos out there.
There's a lot of social media by Aussie native wildlife and Australian conservancy orgnisations about eradicating feral pests. It is actually going on all the time. I have met rangers, while I was traveling in the Outback, who are out on quad bikes with high powered rifles shooting wild pigs and goats.
Yes, in those conservancy social media posts there are a few 'animal lovers' who complain about killing feral cats etc, but the vast majority of comments are supportive of taking actin against feral.
None of which really has anything to do with my original post.
I would personally not use kangaroo skin on my drums. And it was wrong to suggest kangaroos were collected naturally, without having been killed first by mankind.

Well the raw products that make Mylar drum heads (polyethylene terapthalate or something like that) comes from oil and natural gas so if drummers were really ecology minded they would abandon mylar and go with animal hide heads. I'm ecology minded but have been so since 1973 so now have given up because it's way too late too little too bad. No worries life will still persist-unless the new cloud gurus prediction comes true that clouds and greenhouse gases will heat the earth and vaporize all the seas and we turn into Venus. I really doubt that scenario-given earth's past and carbon dioxide and temperatures higher than today-like the PETM (the age of Mammals). This is an interesting article regarding harvesting kangaroo for meat. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...humane-and-sustainable-or-exercise-in-cruelty

As I said, they can be captured and exported to The Middle East, which is what happens now.
By far the bigger problem is feline. And there are places where owning a cat is prohibited. letting your cat out at night is prohibited. And feral cats are caught and euthanised. Conservancy organisations have fenced huge areas of land to keep feral predators out.
It is a huge problem, basically started in a less knowing age; 50 to 150 years ago. I don't really get why you keep posting negative comments when actually action IS being taken, but it is a huge and expensive problem.

This is an interesting article regarding harvesting kangaroo for meat. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...humane-and-sustainable-or-exercise-in-cruelty
It's an opinion piece.
The problem is, virtually no one actually eats kangaroo meat. * Apart from the traditional first people who historically harvested all the native wildlife in a sustainable, respectful way. You mostly see kangaroo dishes offered in tourist spots. And I wonder how many tourists actually chose it off the menu. I suspect a large majority of kangaroo meat ends up in pet food.
As I said, I lived in a rural area outside Sydney and there was not an abundance of kangaroos, but what there were were targeted by dairy farmers. I never once saw a professional shooter following the rules mentioned in your link. No, they were farmers mates or family members out to have fun. They hunted at night in 4WD, with powerful flood lights. If you shine a bright light in a kangaroos' face it freezes, not knowing what to do. A sitting target for shooters. From 100 feet away how do you tell if it's a female (if you even care)? How do you tell if it has young in it's pouch?

Recently, captured camels were selling for $240 a head, not for meat, but for weed eradication..
Again recently:
Last year South Australian officials approved the culling of up to 10,000 camels on Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) lands because the drought had caused camels to converge on settlements in search of water.

You keep posting that this or that isn't being done, but you are wrong.

Those that live or have lived in Australia know what is the case.. My take on this part of the discussion is that it would seem that the hide of introduced species ( feral ) would be more sensible to utilise as drum heads .. The notion that Australian Politicians have " got this" on any level is laughable.. if it's political it couldn't be correct.. in short there really is no need to use Kangaroo for heads and to virtue signal it is just marketing..Not saying you shouldn't use them just saying why? Given the recent bushfires and flooding the native species of all kinds in Australia needs a helping hand. And that's not whining.. or preaching .. it is what it is..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the existence of these heads is really unfortunate, but I see that opinion is, for some reason, a touchy topic so I’ll refrain from any further comment. I’ll chalk it up to cultural/social differences in ancestral experiences.

Last edited:
Back