Kangaroo Hide Drum Heads.

Wouldn't mind a full set on a kit in a climate controlled room though.

I don’t think hide heads are all that great on the smaller toms. They kill too much resonance. They’re great on 15s and larger, though. They REALLY thunder when you tune them mid-low. And of course they’re great on kick drums.

There is also the killing native animals aspect to consider. I'm happy with the offerings from Remo and Evans.

Whoah, Pastor Vegan. Those kangaroos die of natural causes. None are raised or killed for the making of those drumheads. LOL

And as far as calf heads go, they’re just a by-product of the meat industry. If you want to take on the farming of animals for meat, feel free. I have gone many years at a time without eating meat, although I very occasionally eat it now. But this is a strictly non-political forum, please let’s keep it that way. This is a contentious issue.

No thanks. I had calfskin heads in the 1960s and they were completely weather & humidity dependent. Tight and brittle on hot and/or dry days, becoming loose and flabby when the sun set and things cooled off. I’ll take biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate any day over animal skin for my drumheads.

Whoah, Pastor Vegan. Those kangaroos die of natural causes. None are raised or killed for the making of those drumheads. LOL
Firstly, don't label people dismissively just because they have a different outlook to you. I'm not a vegan. I lived in Australia for ten years.
You can't find enough Kangaroos that 'die of natural causes' as they would die in isolated spots, in dense undergrowth, probably infested by venomous snakes.
Culling of native animals has become more controversial, especially since 2019/20 when literally millions of native animals, including kangaroos, perished in the bushfires.
I applaud Kentville for being straight about where their skins are sourced. I am not totally against it, but have decided for myself I couldn't play a drum with a kangaroo hide installed.
This is the info you seek from the Kentville website:
Quote: The hides we use are the ethically sourced by-product of a culling program overseen by the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage. This program ensures that the kangaroo population in eastern Australia remains healthy and at a sustainable number. Harvested animals provide consumers with an eco-friendly alternative to consuming beef or lamb and in using the hides to produce drumheads, more of each animal is used, resulting in less waste.

This isn't 'politics' it's a discussion about a drum product and your information was wrong.

Last edited:
Firstly, don't label people dismissively just because they have a different outlook to you. I'm not a vegan. I lived in Australia for ten years.
You can't find enough Kangaroos that 'die of natural causes' as they would die in isolated spots, in dense undergrowth, probably infested by venomous snakes.
Culling of native animals has become more controversial, especially since 2019/20 when literally millions of native animals, including kangaroos, perished in the bushfires.
I applaud Kentville for being straight about where their skins are sourced. I am not totally against it, but have decided for myself I couldn't play a drum with a kangaroo hide installed.
This is the info you seek from the Kentville website:
Quote: The hides we use are the ethically sourced by-product of a culling program overseen by the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage. This program ensures that the kangaroo population in eastern Australia remains healthy and at a sustainable number. Harvested animals provide consumers with an eco-friendly alternative to consuming beef or lamb and in using the hides to produce drumheads, more of each animal is used, resulting in less waste.

This isn't 'politics' it's a discussion about a drum product and your information was wrong.
🙄🙄

No thanks. I had calfskin heads in the 1960s and they were completely weather & humidity dependent. Tight and brittle on hot and/or dry days, becoming loose and flabby when the sun set and things cooled off. I’ll take biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate any day over animal skin for my drumheads.

There’s less problem with sympathetic snare buzz when using a natural hide reso head and cable snares, and they’re naturally dry-sounding and don’t need muffling, but yeah, they’re quite a hassle compared to plastic heads. Mainly they’re good for small acoustic gigs, and orchestral work.

The brush fires in Australia were catastrophic especially in areas rich in diverse and novel plant and animal species-many of which were already at risk and now prone to extinction. If they do recover since been in cycles of drought-and a warming climate and less rainfall could impede that (as well as ocean acidification impact sea life and barrier reefs.) I imagine animal populations will have to be managed as ecosystems recover so they have resources. They have allowed harvesting specific species but now after fires that could change I imagine?

I tried the Kangaroo Hide snare head form Kentville Drums a while back and I was very impressed the overall quality and tone.

Has anyone else tried or experimented with them, love to hear some feedback.

I haven't tried the heads, but as for feedback on the video, I would prefer more playing and maybe different tunings, and less talking. 😉 I mean that constructively!

OK, so Push Pull has some and likes em, BUT DO YOU see differences/fluctuations that you don't see with synthetic heads caused by climate changes, as CB suggested?
I mean, can in and out of the car/case/venue/house in very cold or humid weather make for tuning and sound issues on a larger scale?

OK, so Push Pull has some and likes em, BUT DO YOU see differences/fluctuations that you don't see with synthetic heads caused by climate changes, as CB suggested?
I mean, can in and out of the car/case/venue/house in very cold or humid weather make for tuning and sound issues on a larger scale?

Of course. That’s why I don’t gig them at outdoor gigs. And also why I only have them on kicks and snares, at least for drums that I gig out.

Back