Just resigned my position as an officer in a charity organization

A J

I'm a retired US Army Officer.

For the past two years I have served as in unpaid volunteer officer in a national charity organization. I worked hard, earned the trust of the upper management and quickly was invited into the "inner circle". Things were going great. They loved me and I was seeing great things being done. I became the "go to guy" and the "fixer". Then one day... I looked at the financials and started asking questions about a "scholarship program".

I soon discovered that the "scholarship program" was nothing more than a vehicle for laundering money into the pockets of friends and family of upper management. I emailed my evidence to all officers. I expressed my concerns to the higher headquarters people. In the end, they all defended the ruse and were content to keep things as is. The local officers immediately destroyed all paperwork relating to the scholarship program.

I was invited to a high level meeting where they tried to convince me that wrong was right. I argued my point, listened to their positions, politely excused myself and immediately resigned through a professionally worded email.

Why am I revealing this on a drum forum? Heck, I don't know! It's late. I'm ticked off and am just blowing off steam.

At this point, I have done everything a reasonable person would do and notified all higher echelons. I don't want to pursue it further. I quit. I'm done.

Blk Diamond

Good for you.

Your personal code of honor and ethics led you to do the right thing. You do not want to be a part of any charitable organization that siphons donations to some slush fund for the upper brass under the guise of a phony scholarship.

Hopefully, this could be brought to light in some manner (i.e. the press) that would lead to the ousting of the bad actors in the organization.

It sounds like you loved what you did while working with the charity. Perhaps your knowledge and skill set could benefit another reputable charitable organization in your area, if you so desire.

Last edited:

AzHeat

Platinum Member
There are a few great charities, but you have to be careful who you are contributing to. Anyone who doesn't produce a solid annual report showing income vs distributions with no more than 15% overhead should be immediately of the list.

A J, good of you to call out the scam and take a stand. Great way to lose friends, but who needs those kinds of friends.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Well kudos to your integrity. I and a peer faculty exposed a cheating scandal. A Dean was fired and probsbly was the sacrificial lamb. We both resigned due to that and several other issues- some financial . When I was in grad school , and had no authority or power, I witnessed numerous abuses of you name it. I thought highly educated people would be less disgusting than the rural yahoos I grew up with but Heck no-I can be so naive.

yammyfan

We've had a similar thing happen here in Canada recently where our Prime Minister's family received hundreds of thousands of dollars in perks from a nationwide charity.

Me? I would probably run it by a lawyer and if I wasn't breaking any laws or contracts, I would go to the press with it. That will get their attention.

Ransan

Good on you for that catch.

Why don’t you go and complete the motion, if it were me, I’d be a whistlin’ away.

Reactions: A J

Birdy

I’ve blown whistles at various jobs, it took a lot of verve and sleepless nights, no one I knew would have done the same I’m sure.

A J

We've had a similar thing happen here in Canada recently where our Prime Minister's family received hundreds of thousands of dollars in perks from a nationwide charity.

Me? I would probably run it by a lawyer and if I wasn't breaking any laws or contracts, I would go to the press with it. That will get their attention.

A buddy of mine still deep within the organization told me there's a sort of "carnival" atmosphere now that I'm gone. No more rules. No more standards. No more accountability.

If they don't mess with me or my friends, I will not bother them again. If they do.... Here are the tools I have at my disposal:

1. Filing an ethics complaint with the employer of one of the offenders.
2. Writing a formal complaint with the charity's national headquarters.
3. Informing the county prosecutor.
4. Informing the State attorney general.

Believe me, the options above are the LAST things I want to do. Years ago I served as a witness to a crime. I did all the right things, but it changed my life for the worse. I do not want to go through that again. But I will, if pushed hard enough,

Bozozoid

Gold Member
What a swamp. It needed to be drained. Looks like there will be some people avoiding you in the checkout lane at the grocery store.

iCe

Silver Member
Believe me, the options above are the LAST things I want to do. Years ago I served as a witness to a crime. I did all the right things, but it changed my life for the worse. I do not want to go through that again. But I will, if pushed hard enough,

Was just thinking about how i'd probably would make an anonymous report to the authorities, would also have a bad time dealing with knowing wrong is being done (pardon the phrasing, don't know the English variant of our saying hehe). Was going to post 'do something', but then read the post i quoted and understand why you don't want to light things ablaze. Seem like a though spot and hope you're dealing well with it :)

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
In the UK there is a regulator, the Charities Commission. They will investigate any accusations of wrong doing or corruption.
Is there no one watching over charities in the U.S.?

The government here mostly doesn’t care if charities are just tax dodges. In fact, wealthy people write laws to make it easy to use charities and nonprofit organizations to avoid taxes.

A J

What a swamp. It needed to be drained. Looks like there will be some people avoiding you in the checkout lane at the grocery store.
Funny you say that. I live in a small town and will likely see these thieves again.

A J

I couldn’t personally sit on that. I would have to find a way of acting on it, be that anonymous or otherwise.

I used to work for a company that committed industrial-level fraud and seven years on still regret not reporting it.

Yeah, I definitely hear you. I DID go around the local fraudsters and reported it to the "state-level" agency. Should I do more? That's what I'm wrestling with.

A J

In the UK there is a regulator, the Charities Commission. They will investigate any accusations of wrong doing or corruption.
Is there no one watching over charities in the U.S.?

Not that I'm aware of. I think the "nuclear option" for me would be to file a complaint with the county sheriff or prosecutor. Both gentlemen are, however; are "friends" of the charitable organization and would be highly unlikely to go after it.