Just ordered Trick Dead Blow Beater

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I couldn’t find many reviews online, but I’m really hopeful that this will be a lot of fun to play with. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

It looks like they're based on dead-blow hammers. Interesting. And the price seems more than reasonable. Let us know what you think of them.

I haven’t used one. The beater head contact area seems rather inflexible - A large flat metal circle. If it doesn’t line up exactly flat at the contact point, it seems that the impact wouldn’t be as strong as expected and the batter head would be stretched oddly.
The contact area isn’t flat, it’s rounded. I had the same concern until I looked more closely.

I will definitely post a review of it when it comes in.

Looks cool but something about a symmetrical beater end appeals to me more. I'm thinking of the case where, during a gig, you look down and the pedal is no longer perfectly perpendicular to the kick. Unless you could stop playing and re-center the thing (assuming you don't mind tearing up your nice wood hoops if you have them), you're going to have the opportunity to ruin your batter head, thereby giving new meaning to the word "trick", as in that thing right there sure did pull a trick on me.

The other thing is, it looks like it could double as a murder weapon. Yes, I've watched too many CSI Miami shows LOL.

Looks cool but something about a symmetrical beater end appeals to me more. I'm thinking of the case where, during a gig, you look down and the pedal is no longer perfectly perpendicular to the kick. Unless you could stop playing and re-center the thing (assuming you don't mind tearing up your nice wood hoops if you have them), you're going to have the opportunity to ruin your batter head, thereby giving new meaning to the word "trick", as in that thing right there sure did pull a trick on me.

The other thing is, it looks like it could double as a murder weapon. Yes, I've watched too many CSI Miami shows LOL.

The problem is that, when a longboard direct-drive pedal is tweaked to a really light/loose feel, it can be kind of hard to get loud with it. Not impossible, but it requires more attention. I’m hoping this solves that issue somewhat, plus I’m planning to wake up the old people in my church with it one Sunday when I’m laying down a quiet groove with brushes or some such.

The problem is that, when a longboard direct-drive pedal is tweaked to a really light/loose feel, it can be kind of hard to get loud with it. Not impossible, but it requires more attention. I’m hoping this solves that issue somewhat, plus I’m planning to wake up the old people in my church with it one Sunday when I’m laying down a quiet groove with brushes or some such.
What does 'longboard' have to do with it? And is direct-drive a chain or link?

Bonus question: What is high tension lugs?

What does 'longboard' have to do with it? And is direct-drive a chain or link?

Bonus question: What is high tension lugs?

A longboard gives you a quicker response and lighter feel, just like direct drive (linkage) does. The downside is that it reduces overall power, so it’s harder to play really loud. I don’t know anything about high-tension lugs LoL.

Looks like an older Tama Iron Cobra beater, instead made entirely from metal. I use the wooden version on my double pedal and most likely will put those on my two single pedals as well. Although similar, but not the same; i really like the older IC beaters. Can get a good solid note of the bass drums that way and they're lightweight too.

Back