Just fell in love again with Neil Peart Promark PW747

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
I’ve been using 5As for a while, trying to keep things light and fresh. However I just pulled these out of the bag and MAN what a difference with triplets and quads! The extra weight does wonders for balance and response, can play probably ~25% faster with more control than with the lightweight sticks while doing double bass. I forgot what a difference the weight of the sticks make.
My old favorite was Billy Cobham 808 with a round head but I can’t find them today as they were discontinued years ago.

What’s your favorite stick?F98826B5-8924-4B58-825A-5562B76FD173.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been using 5As for a while, trying to keep things light and fresh. However I just pulled these out of the bag and MAN what a difference with triplets and quads! The extra weight does wonders for balance and response, can play probably ~25% faster with more control than with the lightweight sticks while doing double bass. I forgot what a difference the weight of the sticks make.
My old favorite was Billy Cobham 808 with a round head but I can’t find them today as they were discontinued years ago.

What’s your favorite stick?
I actually loved both the 747s and 808s, especially the Jap Oak series, so smooth and they had a forwarded moment about them.

But a creature of habit I always go to the Pro Mark 7A wood, or plastic bead - I interchange those frequently.

What’s your favorite stick?View attachment 107557

Yea actually I've always noticed that the better shape my hands are in - the more I like a heavier stick.

Currently I'm rocking the Promark Carter McLean signature stick which is between a 5A and a 5B and is a slightly longer than a normal 5A. Awesome stick with great balance and with enough weight to have some horse power for when things get loud but with enough finesse to cover all the jazz stuff.

I've never played those, but did try out a set of Promark Oak 777 sticks (with the ball tip). Can't find them at the moment and seems like they're not made anymore, but remember that the diameter was like a between 7A and 5A, but felt like a 5B in weight because of the oak. The tip made it really articulate on cymbals, a bit to brash and loud for my liking. But after a few sessions they neck of the stick was a but dented; truly strong stuff!

I think i'm going to stop saying i have a favourite stick. A few months back i thought 'yup, Vater Sugar Maple 5B is the stick' only out of curiosity tried out a pair of Vic Firth 5A's a month ago and been playing that pair ever since (need to get a few more as backup). The maple 5B's started to feel a bit too light and thin so looked at something a bit heavier and a thinner stick; a hickory 5A was the logical step :)

I think i'm going to stop saying i have a favourite stick.
Same here.
I've probably said that hundreds of times in drum convos over the years & invariably I end up playing something other than what I said.
I do love Regal Tip, but their long absence from the market made it so I went elsewhere (simply because I couldn't find them).
Loved the Vic Firth Thomas Lang sticks for a bit, but then that faded in favor of something lighter. Had the Buddy Rich model for a while & might revisit those.

Ahead came back into my world after using a softer, no-name maple stick for a while (and seeing how many wood chips they leave on my rug). Been digging how they don't make my hands feel tired as their anti-vibration technology is top notch.

More changes to come I'm sure.

Reactions: iCe
Same here.
I've probably said that hundreds of times in drum convos over the years & invariably I end up playing something other than what I said.
I do love Regal Tip, but their long absence from the market made it so I went elsewhere (simply because I couldn't find them).
Loved the Vic Firth Thomas Lang sticks for a bit, but then that faded in favor of something lighter. Had the Buddy Rich model for a while & might revisit those.

Ahead came back into my world after using a softer, no-name maple stick for a while (and seeing how many wood chips they leave on my rug). Been digging how they don't make my hands feel tired as their anti-vibration technology is top notch.

More changes to come I'm sure.

Now the fun part is... i took the 5A's with me and they felt off for some reason. Took out a fresh pair of maple 5B's and...

tenor.gif

First thing i thought was 'oh man, i just posted on DW Forum that i wasn't sure about a fav stick..' :LOL:
The maple 5B's i was using were a bit chewed up and off balance. No wonder the 5A hickory sticks felt better.
Darn it, i thought that after 25 years of drumming i would be smarter than this hehe

Oh man...here we go. My fave for years was the Zildjian Vinnie colaiuta. When I recently ordered my 24 2002 ride I had Memphis drumshop throw a pair of Carter McLean sticks in the box. At first I was thinking probably not but those sticks grew on me as the days went by. My favorite part is when I use the very tip on the ride...nice but a tad warm and Softish sounding. I'm starting to like the way they FEEL in my hand over the Vinnies. The Carter's made me undecided now and on the search again which is kinda fun.

Owned a few pairs of the oaks ,but never cared for the feel
They tended to feel brittle and broke way more often than hickory.

Back