Jost Nickel

BeethroDM

Just finished watching Jost's latest video here on Drummerworld. Damn this guy is impressive! He really manages to keep my attention throughout these 10-minute drum solo performances. Outstanding technique and such a creative way of applying it.

Here's the link to the latest video (his other vids are also worth checking out):
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/jostnickelmontreal.html

What do you guys think of Jost?

Jost Nickel - funky groove

Jost Nickel - drumming with German act Jan Delay - posted this transcription and video link on facebook today. I can't help but come back to that video, rewatch it and also mock along best I can (which is lousy, haha) as it's so funky so I thought I'd share. Nice hihat going on - feels hard to me.

Pretty cool to start that song piece by piece, adding more and more musos. And the drummer goes first ;-)

Also, it makes me go and get a cowbell. Or 2, or 3 - as on Claus Hessler's new DVD. I think I'll copy the cowbell placement.

Here's the video:
http://vimeo.com/70423955

Attachments

• Jost Nickel_grooves.jpg
    Jost Nickel_grooves.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 976
Re: Jost Nickel - funky groove

Jost Nickel is a freaking monster. I saw him at the 2010 Montreal Drum Fest and he was one of my favorite.

This guy is an absolute beast and I could listen to his groove-based solos all day long.

Really looking forward to getting a copy of his book. I have to wait for the English version though, my German has gotten SO rusty!

BTW, Jan Delay is currently at #1 position of the German album charts.

Last week, we had Jost Nickel over in Switzerland and Liechtenstein. I organised four days of clinics, masterclasses, and private lessons with him.

After sitting in on all the lessons & participating in one of the masterclasses, there is only one thing I can say: if he does come to a town near you, make sure you go check him out!

Great groove, fairly simple (but extremely effective) ideas & concepts re playing, orchestrating, etc., great sense of humour - and a nice bloke.

And if you do have questions re Latin or Jazz drumming: he can answer those, too!

Here's a video he did not too long ago for drumeo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1fd3u-o44

Patrice
www.schlagzeug.li

I've been watching videos of Jost over the last week or so and really enjoy his playing, as well as the sound of his kit, particularly on this video:

As a new owner of a Sonor SQ1 kit, I wanted to try tuning my kit to achieve a similar sound. I found his Tune-Bot settings online, and noticed that he tunes his 12" rack tom fairly high - a C fundamental pitch, three semi-tones higher than a more typical A. So I cranked mine up a bit and I love the sound. Frankly, I don't know what to do with my 10" tom now, since the 12" now has a satisfyingly high voice, yet is louder and punchier than the 10". Maybe I'm turning into a 1-up 2-down guy.

Tunings aside, his playing is incredible, and he is a gifted teacher. Check out his two Drumeo lessons on YouTube.

Back