Jabo Starks RIP

OldReliable

Was on the r/drums subreddit today, and someone posted a photo that said RIP Jabo. I was surprised, so I checked Wikipedia and it says he died today. Oddly, I can’t find any other info. I really hope this is a hoax!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_"Jabo"_Starks

Aaron Kennedy, drummer friend by way of Ireland/Pennsylvania/Nashville, had a tribute to Jabo on his website, and Facebook today. I'm afraid it is true.

It's unfortunately been announced by the family via his Facebook page.

Rest in peace, 'Jabo'

Amazing drummer, light jazzy funky brilliance! Was a big influence and shaper of James Browns sound. Rest in peace

Loved Jabo, both as a funky drummer and also as a guy with deep integrity that he expressed in every interview I watched.

Just the plain and simple explanations for what he did, no fanfare.

He said he just played 'what he was,' obviously a great natural talent that found his way into the right musical situations and was a perfect fit!

I've never heard of him until today, but I didn't realize he played on some of James Brown's best tracks. R.I.P

I'm in bits about this. I always fought Jabo's corner when people were debating the influence of Clyde. Loved, loved his playing: Lickin' Stick, Sex Machine, Super Bad, Soul Power, as well as all the great JB's tracks, like Pass The Peas, Doing It To Death, etc.

So it is true. Rest In Peace Jabo. I absolutely love his playing on one of my favorite James Brown tracks, The Payback. His groove is so tight without ever getting too busy.

Back