I've gone Frankenstein mode (again?)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yes, I have a beautiful natural maple Pearl Reference kit complete with ICON rack and some heavy hardware that I love to play (more importantly I take it out of the house often too).

But lately I've really been digging on the drums I've been taking apart and putting back together. I've collected quite a few orphaned Pearl shells and turned those into a number of different kits (I'm covering them all in black) and I have a substantial collection: 8x12/9x13/14x14/16x16/16x18/14x20/18x22/14x26. I have a 9x12 Session tom in blue, that I put black old skool lugs on and that drum actually sounds great despite the abuse the wrap has taken. I also have a dismantled 8x20 Rhythm Traveler bass drum I don't know what to do with (with the addition of the 14x20, the 8x20 isn't really necessary - the shell is damaged anyway). My garage has a nice little pile of black drums now.

I've been focusing on using the 12/14/20 configuration for almost everything and have been wondering since I'm lightening my load quite a bit, would I ever need the monster Reference kit in public again? I'm facing my own mortality too - I just turned 54 this month, and I am beginning to notice how heavy the Reference drums are, and the fact that when I do use them, that also includes breaking down and carrying an ICON rack too - but I love how those sound. They definitely can take anything I can dish out. OTOH, my orphans, being thinner Session/Vision/Export shells, are no slouches either. They all have new hardware, and also sound good, and nothing is in fear of breaking if on a gig. I could definitely use all the toms and the 26" and have a big black Tony Williams kit (I know he played a 24").

So like the other thread about getting older and learning anything new doesn't really matter at this point, I feel like I'm there with the physical drums. (However, I feel like there's always something to work on - I do still keep a practice pad on a snare stand so I can run through warm ups and rudiments, so maybe I'm not completely lost yet). Now, I know there are people here who are lucky to have one kit, and others that are super lucky to have ALOT of kits, but how many of you actually feel better about your Frankenstein drums than you do about your brand new store-bought mega-great drum sets?

I like to add drums from my vintage Pearl to my store-bought mega-great drum set. I've never had a problem with adopting orphans into my kit. With the right heads and tuning, it usually works.

Bo you like big stuff. Turn that 20x8" kick into a snare. Set it up like a double kick and play it with your right foot.

I like to add drums from my vintage Pearl to my store-bought mega-great drum set. I've never had a problem with adopting orphans into my kit. With the right heads and tuning, it usually works.

Bo you like big stuff. Turn that 20x8" kick into a snare. Set it up like a double kick and play it with your right foot.
That’s a possibility.....

Back