It happens to Evans too

Doug Masters

Silver Member
Came across my first bad Evans head today after almost 5 years of playing Evans. I have recently been ordering heads online to avoid making a trip into the city and had taken for granted the quality of Evans. I had to run errands today though and found myself at Sam Ash. After purchasing a clear G2 pre-pack and tap testing the heads I found the 10" to be completely dead...not a little bit dead but dead as a doornail. I swapped it out of course but this made me wary of ordering heads online now. And for all you Remo bashers out there, keep in mind that it apparently happens to Evans as well.

Well I'd consider that pretty good odds though. I like Remo Fiberskyns but after getting multiple defective heads in a single order, I am afraid to spend that kind of money on them. The same happened to me with Aquarian heads.

It's been my observation that Evans has the best overall QC of the big 4. *One* bad drumhead in 5 years is a great ratio. That is really commendable. No one is perfect, but Evans is close enough.

Just like any product that is man made therr is bound to be something defective or flawed at some point regardless of manufacturer. I don't know that it would make me hesitant to order online but if you have a store nearby it's worth supporting them so they can stay in business.

I've been using Evans heads exclusively for almost 8 years, regularly outfitting new snares & kits with fresh heads, and changing my tour kit heads weekly... so I've been through several hundred heads in that time. I haven't found a bad one yet.

But I'm glad you found one, it would be hard to imagine that Evans is 100% perfect. But I'll still take 99.9% over Remo's spotty track record.

Bermuda

I haven't had any problems with Evans. I've used Genera drys, HD drys, ST drys, J1s, and Power center reverse dots on snares. EC1s, EC2s, G2s, GIs, on toms. EMADs, EMAD2s, EQ1s, EQ3s on kicks.

By contrast I've had 3 PS3s that didn't fit the bass drum well at all, and a couple of dead tom batters out of three sets of heads.

It isn't bashing. It's a fact. Remo two ply heads seem to have a lot of issues, and several of our forum mrmbers have complained about the ill fitting PS3 bass drum heads.

YMMV

I've been using Evans heads exclusively for almost 8 years, regularly outfitting new snares & kits with fresh heads, and changing my tour kit heads weekly... so I've been through several hundred heads in that time. I haven't found a bad one yet.

But I'm glad you found one, it would be hard to imagine that Evans is 100% perfect. But I'll still take 99.9% over Remo's spotty track record.

Bermuda

Changing your tour kit heads every week? Do they really wear off that fast? I can imagine putting new heads on before recording a record, but every week on tour, that's after how many hours of playing?

Changing your tour kit heads every week? Do they really wear off that fast? I can imagine putting new heads on before recording a record, but every week on tour, that's after how many hours of playing?

It's about 10 hours of playing between changes (just tom & snare batters, I don't change the kick very often.) But once a week is a long time, a lot of players want their heads changed every few shows.. or even every show. Evans was pleased that I was getting as many as 5 shows between changes (and of course that's based on how hard I play.)

Bermuda

It's about 10 hours of playing between changes (just tom & snare batters, I don't change the kick very often.) But once a week is a long time, a lot of players want their heads changed every few shows.. or even every show. Evans was pleased that I was getting as many as 5 shows between changes (and of course that's based on how hard I play.)

Bermuda

do they make you buy your own heads or do they supply them for you for free or extremely discounted since your endorsed? (assuming that you are indeed endorsed by them lol)

thanks (hope this isnt to personal a question)

One bad head in over 5 years sounds more like an endorsement than a warning to me.

Bermuda

Wow, to think that my heads are on my toms and kick for more than two years now...

You change sticks every song too?

do they make you buy your own heads or do they supply them for you for free or extremely discounted since your endorsed? (assuming that you are indeed endorsed by them lol)

thanks (hope this isnt to personal a question)

I am an Evans endorser, but I don't discuss the details, sorry. But basically, I change heads as often as I feel is necessary, not just because I 'can'. And I also have several drums in use where the heads haven't been changed in a few dozen gigs.

Bermuda

Back