Is Vinnie playing Pro-Mark now!!!!

D

drumming sort of person

Back in the late 70s early 80s Gretsch made a signature Tony Williams stick that I absolutely loved. I don't think it was actually made by Gretsch, but probably some OEM like Capella. Regardless, I've never found a stick like it. Even the Zildjian Tony Williams model (which Tony actually used) wasn't the same.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Changing companies probably made for even bigger changes before todays possible options and quality control. Vic has a Buddy Rich model, but it seems it's quite far away from anything he actually played.

In regards to Vinnie's sticks they may look the same, but they are not. The hickory in the Zildjian sticks is way heavier. It's more than that, though. I can't say anything other than that they feel different. The Vic's have a sort of straight and unnatural broomstick feel in comparison. They last longer too as they tend to dent more as supposed to the Vic's chipping. I've used Zildjians for months. My second pair of Vics I broke in about one minute with a rimshot. It's actually the only stick I've ever broken in my life.

V-Four

....I understand that if you are a fan of a certain signature stick, it would be news and worth talking about. ..

.... It would be news to me if his stick was no longer available.

I agree.
Personally, I use just a plain ol VF 5B. There are a few sig sticks that I think I would favor based on a little feature here or there. My luck, I'd get used to the sig sticks, and then..gone. I hate it when I like something, and then it vanishes from existence. (like the "crazy calypso" flavor potato chips from Wise years ago. I loved those chips..sweet, spicy... and gone. Or the "Summit" cookie bars from the 80's, or the ORIGINAL "Bar None" candy bar ) :(

T.

Maverick10

V-Four,

The old school Pro-Marks with the dark grain, heavy lacquer, and black end caps. oh and basically everything I grew up with in the 80's and 90's hahaha.

Maverick10

What's funny is after all this talk about VC's sticks. I pulled out the pair I own and they feel pretty good. I'm going tonhave to put these back in the bag. Hahaha

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
They must be paying more.
I knew Vince back in high school and he swore by Regal Tip 5B's.

The concept of companies paying artists to endorse their products is a misconception. While I've heard rumors and whispers of things here and there, that's all they ever seemed to be was rumors. Typically endorsing a particular brand gets you either a discount on their products, or free product. Sometimes both depending on the budget the company has at the time. "x" amount or item free, everything else discounted.

When an artist has a "signature" product on the market they typically receive a royalty on units sold. Companies sometimes contribute a small amount of money for clinic support as well, but not a regular paycheck for endorsing the brand.

I'm guessing this is the case with Vinnie. He probably got free products plus royalties on every pair of his sticks sold.

I always wonder when a famous drummer switches a signature piece of gear to another brand if it's money motivated, customer service, or just needing a creative change.

Vinnie wants to play what Vinnie wants to play. Many artists today are playing a stick that is modified so that the stick company can sell it.

Attached is a pic of sticks that Vinnie bought last week. BOUGHT!!! He is not looking for freebies or anything like that. He doesn't want to play a standard 5B with his name on it either. He wants exactly what he wants and that's what I made for him :)

This is a case where he was needing a creative change and no one would do it for him.

3 models were made:
.595-.250X16", Medium Taper, Acorn Tip, Lacquer Finish
.580-.250X16", Medium Taper, Acorn Tip, Lacquer Finish
.565-.250X16", Medium Taper, Acorn Tip, Lacquer Finish
Vinnie Sticks.jpg

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Vinnie wants to play what Vinnie wants to play. Many artists today are playing a stick that is modified so that the stick company can sell it.

Attached is a pic of sticks that Vinnie bought last week. BOUGHT!!! He is not looking for freebies or anything like that. He doesn't want to play a standard 5B with his name on it either. He wants exactly what he wants and that's what I made for him :)

This is a case where he was needing a creative change and no one would do it for him.

3 models were made:
.595-.250X16", Medium Taper, Acorn Tip, Lacquer Finish
.580-.250X16", Medium Taper, Acorn Tip, Lacquer Finish
.565-.250X16", Medium Taper, Acorn Tip, Lacquer Finish

Still searching then, I guess.

You keep a bit more moisture in them right, as opposed to the Vics?

MrPockets

Gold Member
The concept of companies paying artists to endorse their products is a misconception. While I've heard rumors and whispers of things here and there, that's all they ever seemed to be was rumors. Typically endorsing a particular brand gets you either a discount on their products, or free product. Sometimes both depending on the budget the company has at the time. "x" amount or item free, everything else discounted.

When an artist has a "signature" product on the market they typically receive a royalty on units sold. Companies sometimes contribute a small amount of money for clinic support as well, but not a regular paycheck for endorsing the brand.

I'm guessing this is the case with Vinnie. He probably got free products plus royalties on every pair of his sticks sold.

My brother is a professional golfer in Cali and it is obviously similar. Some brands he gets free stuff with whenever he asks, some brands he has a limit of free stuff he can get per year, and other brands are only a discount.

Reactions: TJK

SoC

I'm super late to this thread. I came across it because I like to collect drumsticks, and it may not be a big deal for some, but it is a very fun thing to do for me. I like the 5b range of sticks, and trying different variations when I practice or gig is enjoyable. I was trying to see if Vinnie's sticks are still available and came across this thread. For those that liked those sticks, the Vic Firth Nicko McBrain model seems to be quite similar -- not the same, but not far off. The Nicko McBrain sticks have the same diameter, the same length and a beefed up neck. The tip looks a bit different.

Last edited:

TJK

There's two sides of the music business. Many people here are equally as interested in the business. Hence the thread.

In drumming circles Vinnie is about as big a name as you can get. He can play anything. And he's played with everybody. Of course drummers are going to sit up and notice what he does, both on and around the drum kit.

What's the harm?
I agree completely, side musicians are not rich unless you sell yourself. Good for him, he deserves to be a billionaire with the talent he has.

BenOBrienSmith

Wild to see this thread pop up as I didn't know that people were aware of him playing Promark. I was actually just messing around with the sticks he had worked on with them the other day. Quite the story behind all of that but I'm not sure it's for me to share. Suffice to say that even with all of the speculation from those watching deals like this go down, there's ALWAYS more to it than meets the eye.

TOMANO

All I know is The Zildjian Rezo ride he helped with is one of my all-time fave cymbals. As for sticks, I'm not him and our hands are different. I choose sticks solely based on feel and need. But, good on him. Fella's gotta earn a living.

Bozozoid

Whoa!..im all over the internet looking for a brick of Vinnie sticks old new stock...ANYTHING. I was brought to the forum here thinking great!..i don't have to start a thread looking for my favorite sticks. Um.....I guess it's a bad idea. I'm looking for my fave 5B and am now ducking a food fight. Sorry guys.