Is this steel snare good or?

Even though this is outside of the parameters you are looking for, I'd suggest a Pearl Steel Piccolo 13 x 3. You don't have to really crank it down to get that "pop" sound for ska and reggae. They can be pretty plentiful and cheap.
I know what you mean about the 13 x 3 piccolo but I already have a pearl 14 x 3 1/2 brass I just didn’t want another piccolo

That looks like a 1005.
If you are wanting an excellent Premier Steel Snare then have a look for either a 1026 (8-Lug) or a 1036 (10-Lug) Both are beaded & incredible drums for the money :)

just as I was about to buy that premiere - I'm now torn between these 3:

what a pain - too many choices - you guys have a fav amongst these 3?

My Gretsch Brooklyn Hammered, COS was only $350 and it's wonderful.

just as I was about to buy that premiere - I'm now torn between these 3:

what a pain - too many choices - you guys have a fav amongst these 3?
The Pearl.
I recently acquired a Sensitone brass snare and it's everything I could want from a snare and like everything Pearl, it's very well made. If not the Pearl, get the Premier.

well after listening to y'all and the price now at $130 I just bought the premiere steel snare - cheapest snare I ever bought and only one from GB I have, am hopeful this will be a good one. will let y'all know my thoughts sometime after I play it...thanks for all the input everyone!

You really can’t go wrong at that price. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it!

Geez! The price on this throw off/butt combo just went up 50% in the last day or two! And shipping from Canada is now $60!?!
I glad I bought mine last month. I can’t really recommend this anymore.

Got it. I’ve never spent more than $450 on a snare and right now only own one.
All my snares are metal. All are Pearls. All were purchased used from eBay. The most I ever spent for a snare was just under $250. The lowest cost snare was about $100.

I'm completely happy. My "cheapo" metal snares can go toe-to-toe with any expensive designer snare.

bought it, played it...really like it - I wanted that old school ska-type ping from steel and this does it. And just bought C Critter's suggested INDe parts. the snare needs it. arrives later.

SO, looking at the snare below does anyone know if the hoops (which are original) are 1.6mm or what? one day might need to replace with the same kind...

and is it normal for a modern drum key (TAMA in this case) to fit really tightly on an old '78 snare between a tension rod and hoop? about 75% of the time when tuning, the drum key doesn't lift out freely but takes much effort to take off most rod heads (not slotted BTW), as if it's slightly caught between hoop edge and rod head.

IMG_5713.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you like it Drum Guy! Looks super clean! It's always great to see a drum that old in such perfect condition. As I said before, well worth the money, don't you think?

I'm not absolutely sure about the hoops, but my 1005's hoops are the same weight as my 70s Ludwigs, which are 1.6mm. So yeah, 1.6 must be right. I think it'll be easy enough to find replacements since I see a lot of them on Ebay and Reverb. They're the same hoops as used on all the old Olympic kits. But then how often do you ever have to replace a hoop?

My experience is the same as yours, with the binding drum key. That would seem to be the way they all are. I actually have a couple of keys that are thinner around the socket, and that work really well for this drum.

Apparently, all of the Premier and Olympic branded 1005s came with the square-head tension rods. I wonder if anyone here knows why that is? After getting my 1005, I was inspired to replace all the slotted rods on my Olympic kit with square. I was using a screwdriver to tune them, as the Premier and Sonor keys I tried were too thick and would also bind against the hoops.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 4
it’s good to know you’re drum key binds like mine …so where can you find that one that you have a picture of that’s very thin?

I wish I could remember! I've accumulated a bunch of keys over the decades, and I really have no idea anymore. Worst case, you can grind down the Tama key a bit until it fits.

Grilling out and having a beer party by MYSELF today which is kinda fun...two brands I love are sonor and premier..that snare just being premier makes my bank card jumpy. Looks to be in right off the assembly line condition.

Back