Is this steel snare good or?

Drum Guy

One last thing: the throwoff is a little inadequate. I don't like that you have to tie the wires with string, and once done you can't adjust it without re-tieing. So I replaced the throwoff and butt with an INDE combo. It's adjustable and will fit the mounting holes perfectly. It's also a really cool, lightweight design that perfectly complements the drum. So factor in that extra $60 into your purchase price.

very helpful thanks!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Looking for the best 5x14 steel snare for ska, reggae style

Even though this is outside of the parameters you are looking for, I'd suggest a Pearl Steel Piccolo 13 x 3. You don't have to really crank it down to get that "pop" sound for ska and reggae. They can be pretty plentiful and cheap.

Drum Guy

Even though this is outside of the parameters you are looking for, I'd suggest a Pearl Steel Piccolo 13 x 3. You don't have to really crank it down to get that "pop" sound for ska and reggae. They can be pretty plentiful and cheap.
I know what you mean about the 13 x 3 piccolo but I already have a pearl 14 x 3 1/2 brass I just didn’t want another piccolo

Thin Shell

Regular Poster
Weren't the Ludwig Acro made as student models. ???
Yep. The Acrolite was their el cheapo for a long time until they started making really cheap stuff in the mid to late 70s and later imported lines to compete with the Japanese drum companies who were kicking their butts. The acro was sold by itself or as a student drum with a case, stand, sticks and a drum book.

Frosticles

Silver Member
That looks like a 1005.
If you are wanting an excellent Premier Steel Snare then have a look for either a 1026 (8-Lug) or a 1036 (10-Lug) Both are beaded & incredible drums for the money :)

Drum Guy

just as I was about to buy that premiere - I'm now torn between these 3:

what a pain - too many choices - you guys have a fav amongst these 3?

GruntersDad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
My Gretsch Brooklyn Hammered, COS was only $350 and it's wonderful.

someguy01

Gold Member
just as I was about to buy that premiere - I'm now torn between these 3:

what a pain - too many choices - you guys have a fav amongst these 3?
The Pearl.
I recently acquired a Sensitone brass snare and it's everything I could want from a snare and like everything Pearl, it's very well made. If not the Pearl, get the Premier.

Drum Guy

well after listening to y'all and the price now at $130 I just bought the premiere steel snare - cheapest snare I ever bought and only one from GB I have, am hopeful this will be a good one. will let y'all know my thoughts sometime after I play it...thanks for all the input everyone!

criz p. critter

Silver Member
You really can’t go wrong at that price. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it!

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Geez! The price on this throw off/butt combo just went up 50% in the last day or two! And shipping from Canada is now $60!?!
I glad I bought mine last month. I can’t really recommend this anymore.

Thin Shell

Regular Poster
That seller is in London. Why not just buy directly from INDe? $60 plus shipping. They do state the Chrome and Brass are currently out of stock though...

A J

Got it. I’ve never spent more than $450 on a snare and right now only own one.
All my snares are metal. All are Pearls. All were purchased used from eBay. The most I ever spent for a snare was just under $250. The lowest cost snare was about $100.

I'm completely happy. My "cheapo" metal snares can go toe-to-toe with any expensive designer snare.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
This was the link I meant to post. I've bought a couple of these combos from Dave's Drum Shop in Canada. And they are in stock! I can highly recommend the throwoff and Dave's Drum Shop.

Drum Guy

bought it, played it...really like it - I wanted that old school ska-type ping from steel and this does it. And just bought C Critter's suggested INDe parts. the snare needs it. arrives later.

SO, looking at the snare below does anyone know if the hoops (which are original) are 1.6mm or what? one day might need to replace with the same kind...

and is it normal for a modern drum key (TAMA in this case) to fit really tightly on an old '78 snare between a tension rod and hoop? about 75% of the time when tuning, the drum key doesn't lift out freely but takes much effort to take off most rod heads (not slotted BTW), as if it's slightly caught between hoop edge and rod head.

IMG_5713.jpg

Last edited: