Is this a drummer video game?? I want it! ??

20 and more years ago---Bullet proof, lots of "jazz" smokes, lots of drink, hours and hours of campaigning

These days---Shot, smoked, no more drink, work, lots of pain and hours and hours of complaining.

20 and more years ago---Bullet proof, lots of "jazz" smokes, lots of drink, hours and hours of campaigning
Ha, we would use the innuendo "drink and drugs" whenever there was female company so we'd sound cooler. I mean, they knew what we were doing, but it was just an unspoken rule we late-teen-to-early-twenties-guys maintained...Rule number one of d&d club....

Man where do you find the time? I remember running just one campaign and it took up almost all my time. Although I treated it like my baby and in my usual OCD way spent an inordinate amount of time planning, plotting, mapping, etc. Awesome times and my players loved it but no way I would have much free time to do anything else.

both campaigns run every other week, and one is a bunch of us band directors, so we don't play in the fall during MBB season...which allows me to work on my side of it.

Never thought I'd hear someone reminiscing of those fun THAC0 days!!
My issue has always been, and I feel like 5th is even more unapologetic from what I've seen in this regard, but its the insanely high magic setting as a default. I've always been of the belief to get the rp side one has to create a character as a personality, not as a hero. Saying at level 1 you wannabe a spellcaster I find undermines that. Best and longest game we played, again VERY house rules heavy, went from level 1 to about 40, the first 5 or 6 of which were using NPC classes until we could find training in a selection of no magic classes, hardcore magic didn't come in until about level 18 really.

man, THACO is so easy to me...it is instinctive.

and I agree, 5th ed is waaayyy too powerful. I feel like a 2nd level 5th ed character is the same as a 7th lvel 2nd ed...and to me that is boring. So I use 2nd ed rules and leveling charts and combine them with the updated 5th spell lists, monster lists etc. I don't allow the players to be tiefling, or dragon born...and I definitely run a 60%role playing / 40% hack and slash campaign.

I feel like Wizards tried to make 5th ed reflect the overpowerful, hollywood-ized, comic book-ized version of super heroes for character play....bb/c that is what sells to young kids...everyone gets a trophy; everyone gets to do what they want, and no one has to die/suffer/wait to gain that power; you can be a 3rd level character and take on a dragon with success <----- BORING!!!

at least to this old man

I feel like Wizards tried to make 5th ed reflect the overpowerful, hollywood-ized, comic book-ized version of super heroes for character play....bb/c that is what sells to young kids...everyone gets a trophy; everyone gets to do what they want, and no one has to die/suffer/wait to gain that power; you can be a 3rd level character and take on a dragon with success <----- BORING!!!

at least to this old man
So right! I want the protagonist of a story to struggle for his power and riches, not just keep writing bigger and bigger numbers on a sheet of paper.

So right! I want the protagonist of a story to struggle for his power and riches, not just keep writing bigger and bigger numbers on a sheet of paper.

yep...I warn my players about how the game is going to go, and all who join the campaigns do it for that reason. I always say, "This is not going to be a Marvel Comics movie/WWE campaign. Your characters are going to fail...a lot...until they learn how not to."

Back