Is Premier back?

Still have that hydraulic on it or did you swap for something else?
I put an Aquarian Hi-Energy on it. The thing is now super lively. It has a nice solid fundamental in the center, and gets real ringy at the edge, yet I can still do a quiet buzz with it near the edge and get tons of wire response. It does everything I tell it to.

I hope Gear4Music does a better job with Premier than Brook Mays did with Rogers. 😬

Just as an anecdote re: Premier & G4M...

I've mentioned this a couple of times, but when I got my kit out of 30 years of storage last year I quickly realised that my old Premier 250 bass drum pedal was, well, basically crap. Little available to adjust, and not helping my playing. On the spur of the moment I ordered a cheap own brand pedal from the place I'd got sticks & heads from, which was Gear4Music.

I don't know where it was made, or if it's a copy of a big brand pedal, or anything, but it's 100% a better pedal than the "vintage" Premier.

So I'm not really worried about the quality of the new range. Not that I plan on replacing my drums - 60s/70s Elites in great shape - but if I want to upgrade some tired old hardware I'm happy to have the choice of something with the "right name" on it.

:)

Will be nice to see them around again, not sure if you are able to buy them anywhere else than Gear4Music, but at least the brand still exist. Have good memories growing up, learning to play on a white Premier APK, from the late 80's, and playing in a marching band in the 90's with Premier snares. Not sure if I ever would buy them myself, but it is nice to see the brand alive so I hope someone do.

Just as an anecdote re: Premier & G4M...

I've mentioned this a couple of times, but when I got my kit out of 30 years of storage last year I quickly realised that my old Premier 250 bass drum pedal was, well, basically crap. Little available to adjust, and not helping my playing. On the spur of the moment I ordered a cheap own brand pedal from the place I'd got sticks & heads from, which was Gear4Music.

I don't know where it was made, or if it's a copy of a big brand pedal, or anything, but it's 100% a better pedal than the "vintage" Premier.

So I'm not really worried about the quality of the new range. Not that I plan on replacing my drums - 60s/70s Elites in great shape - but if I want to upgrade some tired old hardware I'm happy to have the choice of something with the "right name" on it.

Hardware is most frequently the weak area for drum companies. I takes more money/time to bring a decent tom mount to market than a maple shell.

Hardware is most frequently the weak area for drum companies. I takes more money/time to bring a decent tom mount to market than a maple shell.

What do you mean???.. Just take the easy way out like Noble Cooley or Canopus that 90% of drummers are not paying attention to .. Only come up with a Lug... and for almost ALL the other parts you just go to the generic drum parts bin and use that stuff.. and NEVER come up with your own parts that go all over the drums !! .. :D

a near perfect survivor..

s-l1600.jpg

retired mine after the 71-75 rock wars

PremSpedal 012.JPGPremSpedal 008.JPG

What do you mean???
Well, what I really mean is, Tama makes the best hardware. Yup, even better than that motorcycle company. They took that initial Gauger Rim design and it changed the industry. Everyone took notice, especially with their ears.

Another example are the bass drum spurs. They are solid, yet can be adjusted to accommodate the level of the drum. Other companies have a design that has never worked for me.

feat_Spur_Bracket.jpg

<flame suit on>

Well, what I really mean is, Tama makes the best hardware. Yup, even better than that motorcycle company. They took that initial Gauger Rim design and it changed the industry. Everyone took notice, especially with their ears.

Another example are the bass drum spurs. They are solid, yet can be adjusted to accommodate the level of the drum. Other companies have a design that has never worked for me.

<flame suit on>

I hear you .. I just used that part of the statement to take a lighthearted jab at these other companies.

Gear4Music own range stuff was junk 18 years ago but I've bought quite a lot from them over the years and they're a decent company to buy from. I'm genuinely quite excited. As a young player I coveted a green Premier Artist Birch kit that an acquaintance of my brother's - Brad Webb played at the time. He was a premier (and Vic Firth, and Sabian) artist and after I'd seen him play at a small venue spent years wanting that Premier kit - which was only a midrange affair at the time.

Alongside that and the Sonor catalogue I read multiple times as a 16 year-old one Christmas (wanted me those Force 3003s in black sparkle!) I got really excited about those kits.

So in the end I bought a weird Tamburo Ash ply set. Which I still own and play.

Last edited:
Very cool!

Do we know if they plan on sustainable inventory or is this for limited production?

Probably way out there in my thoughts.

Signia’s for me will herald a Premier comeback.
I’d be as upfront in line as I could if they came out with the same maple formula 5 ply with support rings.

Bring back the Royal and Super Aces, the 2000, Heavy Rock Nine, and Hell throw in the Olympic 1005 snares.

I came close a month ago to snagging up a Sig in Walnut (power tom sizes) finish, but then backed out due to the depths of toms.
I am still looking for the same finish but hopefully a traditional depth. Like this:
258A6891-CBD8-4A33-95F7-51903F8F8FC1.jpeg

Nostalgia and first hand experience with this kit was a singing stunner in our showroom back in the day.
At the music store folks would be coming in for DW, and we’d listen to their reasons then say, Premier is doing great things as well, have you considered looking into Signias?

Signia, I still consider a heavy hitter within ranks.

Gear4Music own range stuff was junk 18 years ago but I've bought quite a lot from them over the years and they're a decent company to buy from. I'm genuinely quite excited. As a young player I coveted a green Premier Artist Birch kit that an acquaintance of my brother's - Brad Webb played at the time. He was a premier (and Vic Firth, and Sabian) artist and after I'd seen him play at a small venue spent years wanting that Premier kit - which was only a midrange affair at the time.

Alongside that and the Sonor catalogue I read multiple times as a 16 year-old one Christmas (wanted me those Force 3003s in black sparkle!) I got really excited about those kits.

So in the end I bought a weird Tamburo Ash ply set. Which I still own and play.
We had a Genista in the terra green, not the Artist series. This kit sold to a gigging drummer who came back for an add on and always talked about how he was glad he found Premier. He came from DW had a Collectors Series in maple.
Shortly before I left, gigging drummer who picked up green Gens, was having our boss who was owners grandson, quoting with Prem rep for a trade in for his 7 piece DTubs for a 2 up 2 down cherry Signia.

Admittedly being a Manson fan, I became privy to Premier via Ginger Fish, who toured with his coveted Signia’s.
Their lug designs remind me of the Old GMS, and Noble and Cooleys.

That was the one. I threw it in the bin.

I knew that; that's why I posted my 250S one owner- and a near nice one from Volkwein's.
haven't threw mine "in bin" as someone may need want parts or restore {

Very glad to see Premier back out there and under the ownership of responsibile owners, this time around.

Fingers crossed that continues.
That will be the hardest part.

Like the Craviotto Diamond (and Maybe Rogers) if people don't buy the new lines for any reason (but the biggest probably be iT iS mAdE iN cHiNa, after of before financial reasons) it will be hard to keep up with today's (over?) saturated market.

I wish the renewed brand all the best, because G4M does a great job so far.

And Gear4Music is British founded, and still owned by Brits too.

As Premier already did a lot of builds in Taiwan before they closed down, I expect the same quality from the current lines.

I expect the Della Porta snare being made by Keith/BDC (as why its priced higher than regular).
It isn't clear who made the shells for those snares. It's highly unlikely to have been Keith or BDC though, given his history with a previous incarnation of Premier.

That will be the hardest part.

Like the Craviotto Diamond (and Maybe Rogers) if people don't buy the new lines for any reason (but the biggest probably be iT iS mAdE iN cHiNa, after of before financial reasons) it will be hard to keep up with today's (over?) saturated market.

I wish the renewed brand all the best, because G4M does a great job so far.
One of the issues they may have is that G4M is mail order only in the UK, unless you live near York, which is G4M's HQ and where they have a shop.

So most people in the UK will be buying blind, as they have no dealer.. Also worth noting that on one of the Facebook groups there's a pic of one of the brand new SE Genista snares that someone's bought with a badge that's been put on wonkily, which isn't a particularly auspicious start. Hopefully the QC will improve!

Back