Is One of the C&C Lines Supposed to Be a Camco Copy? Are There Others?

Neal Pert

Silver Member
I have this vague recollection that one or the other of the C&C lines is trying to replicate Camco's classic era. Is that correct? If so, which one? And are there other companies striving for the classic Camco sound? If so, how successful do you think they are?

Reactions: jda
I'd look to (into, at) Canopus; they replicate everything..
Don't recall a Camco on their website but might have read "Southern California"..Monterey ,surfer drums. or something... (dead giveaway)

I have this vague recollection that one or the other of the C&C lines is trying to replicate Camco's classic era. Is that correct?
I believe you're right. It was a 6 ply shell with reinforcement rings. I don't think they make it, anymore. The maple/gum is a 6 ply shell, but no mention if reinforcement rings. I think they're going after the Gretsch with that wood combo.

I'd look to (into, at) Canopus; they replicate everything..
Only shell that might be a contender there, would be the R.F.M.

NV60-M2 has re-rings, but a mahogany/poplar shell ..... so I would suspect that's more vintage Ludwig/Slingerland thing.

I don’t think their website is set up like it used to be. But I sure recall a few years ago when they seemed to present all of their lines with a distinct angle toward mimicing the legendary layups of the past. They did so rather shamelessly, blatantly and proudly in fact, with these nudge – nudge – wink — wink replicants of many classic lines, Including Gretsch six ply and others. Right down to edges, hoops, ply layups, complete with non-trademarked, closely identifiable labels like LA edge, Oaklawn edge, etc. Camcos were certainly one of them.

Anyone else remember that?

I don’t think their website is set up like it used to be. But I sure recall a few years ago when they seemed to present all of their lines with a distinct angle toward mimicing the legendary layups of the past. They did so rather shamelessly, blatantly and proudly in fact, with these nudge – nudge – wink — wink replicants of many classic lines, Including Gretsch six ply and others. Right down to edges, hoops, ply layups, complete with non-trademarked, closely identifiable labels like LA edge, Oaklawn edge, etc. Camcos were certainly one of them.

Anyone else remember that?
Yes. I remember that, maybe 5 years ago. I even talked to the young man they had answering phones and questions.

Ironically even DW doesn’t promote their Santa Monica line.

I have this vague recollection that one or the other of the C&C lines is trying to replicate Camco's classic era. Is that correct? If so, which one? And are there other companies striving for the classic Camco sound? If so, how successful do you think they are?
There’s was the guy at Drumforum who took the plunge. Chasing after Jim Gordon’s sound.

I think if I was looking for that Camco sound, I'd just save my money and buy a vintage Camco kit. I know they aren't cheap, but I guess I'm just getting to the age now that if I can't get exactly what I want, I'd rather just do without. There's a certain vibe that vintage drums have that's just difficult to put into words. Those drums have stories to tell.

I think if I was looking for that Camco sound, I'd just save my money and buy a vintage Camco kit. I know they aren't cheap, but I guess I'm just getting to the age now that if I can't get exactly what I want, I'd rather just do without. There's a certain vibe that vintage drums have that's just difficult to put into words. Those drums have stories to tell.

Yeah, I get that. Right now I'm not in the market for anything at all-- and definitely not a Camco kit. But I was just thinking that they're so coveted but, unlike Gretsch, you don't see a lot of companies going straight for that sound and vibe. I guess George Way is doing the vibe, but I have no idea if they've got the sound or are even aiming for that.

It's the 12th & Vine line I believe! They have the same shell as the Oaklawn era Camcos, but also with additional options.

-Jonathan

It's the 12th & Vine line I believe! They have the same shell as the Oaklawn era Camcos, but also with additional options.

-Jonathan
I own a 12th& Vine kit and it is absolutely modeled after vintage Ludwigs. Has a pronounced thummp, tubby sound. When I purchased the kit from C&C, they told me it was their take on vintage Ludwigs.

I am almost positive their 6+6 line is the one they state is following in the footsteps of Camco.

5C3DA5F7-322D-4FB8-9E0D-38230565597D.jpeg

I am almost positive their 6+6 line is the one they state is following in the footsteps of Camco.

They sure did! I just tripped across this and thought I would share. The video should start at the time they start talking about it:

Back