Is it okay if my snare wires are leaving little indents on my bottom snare head?

Having your snare wires tight is one thing but having them "digging in" to the head is another thing. If they are causing damage to the head (dents, rips, premature wear of the head) then I would try to figure out what is causing it. Maybe the wires are too tight, maybe the reso head is too loose, maybe the wires themselves are damaged or of lesser quality (I've seen some cheap stock wires with really nasty sharp welds holding them together), maybe the wires are not centered/adjusted properly. As Bo mentioned above, simply ignoring this issue will cause you to replace bottom snare heads very frequently.

Having your snare wires tight is one thing but having them "digging in" to the head is another thing. If they are causing damage to the head (dents, rips, premature wear of the head) then I would try to figure out what is causing it. Maybe the wires are too tight, maybe the reso head is too loose, maybe the wires themselves are damaged or of lesser quality (I've seen some cheap stock wires with really nasty sharp welds holding them together), maybe the wires are not centered/adjusted properly. As Bo mentioned above, simply ignoring this issue will cause you to replace bottom snare heads very frequently.
Well, but I really did mean that if that’s the only way to get the snare sound you like, then it’s ok so long as you budget for new snare side heads more often. I notice that even on my snare, well-tuned and all that, after a while the snare wires do leave indentations on the bottom head, so I just always have extras (especially on a gig).

Aquarian makes a head with patches in the area where the snare wire end plates rest if you are worried...
It seems like I had an Evan's head probably still do that has it has an extra piece of material where the snare bed is. And I also think that I've put strips of tape under the snare wires too . I'm older now so I don't remember everything I do.

Back