Is Garageband good for creating music?

davidjoseph

I am into a lot of genres of music like hard rock, techno, metal. Currently I am using Logic Pro X. I want to know if switching to garageband will be a good decision for me.

cbphoto

Gold Member
GarageBand is the intro program to Logic Pro, a “light” version.

I began on GarageBand and moved to Logic, but never felt comfortable with the program. I switched to Studio One and haven’t looked back.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Can you just write songs with a piano? Or a guitar? Or better yet, like Mozart, just write it out without sitting at anything? The idea is to have a good idea - not what tools you use to jot down the idea.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Garageband is what I use for scratch tracks, recording rehearsals, and distributing ideas to other band members that may or may not have Logic.

It works fine for recording drums.

Down sides....
No multi-tempo (BPM is static for song duration)
No multi time-sig (Sig is static, no multi sig songs)
Operates at 44.1khz only. Speeding up/slowing down tracks will cause artifacts.

Last edited:

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Can you just write songs with a piano? Or a guitar? Or better yet, like Mozart, just write it out without sitting at anything? The idea is to have a good idea - not what tools you use to jot down the idea.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on those thoughts. It would ne awesome if I could play piano or guitar, but I can't. It would be awesome to write music notation, but I can't. A software program like GarageBand let's you get your ideas into a workable, sharable format and build songs.

Writing songs isn't really complicated and, when you have tools that let you record, edit and arrange music without having to actually play the instruments, the doors swing wide open.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on those thoughts. It would ne awesome if I could play piano or guitar, but I can't. It would be awesome to write music notation, but I can't. A software program like GarageBand let's you get your ideas into a workable, sharable format and build songs.

Writing songs isn't really complicated and, when you have tools that let you record, edit and arrange music without having to actually play the instruments, the doors swing wide open.
I was being half-sarcastic and mean no disrespect. In the 80s I used a lot of technology to make music that I couldn’t physically play. But once I learned how to play on something, that beat technology every time. My ideas still sucked, but I had an easier way of conveying it by being able to hammer out piano chords or strumming a guitar.

TMe

That's a bit funny because I recently watched a bunch of videos about writing music by hand. It turns out there's a lot of discussion about exactly what pens and pencils are best. And don't get those guys started on paper choice, line colour...

A four year old kid creates a song on Garageband (he is explaining it to his father, who is a Grammy-winning arranger)

thebarak

I know Garageband is limited but it is easy (and free). I went to DaVinci Resolve in order to collaborate with someone but I found that very difficult. A lot of unresolvable issues for something called Resolve. Perhaps with patience I could have resolved the Resolve issues, but I just went back to Garageband.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
It's a useful & simple scratch / band ideas tool, and I use it as such.

For anyone interested, this is the kind of simple idea stuff I use Garage Band to sketch out for band distribution

TMe

An alternative for PC is Audacity. It's free, and fairly easy to learn and use. I use it for practice recordings, but I'd step up to something like Studio One for a multi-track demo. Studio One came free with my digital/audio interface. I think most interfaces come with free software that's a step up from Audacity or GarageBand. People who've used both say GarageBand is better and easier to use than Audacity.

Robert E. Baker

I am into a lot of genres of music like hard rock, techno, metal. Currently I am using Logic Pro X. I want to know if switching to garageband will be a good decision for me.
I have used both, and I think Garageband is much better than, as it has user friendly interface as compared to Logic Pro X. I also have better optimizations for MacOS. I think you you should switch to Garageband for some time and see how it works for you and then decide.

For a few days now, I have also been using Audacity on my windows, as I don't have the option to run Garageband on my windows. I still want to run Garageband on my windows laptop somehow. Do you know how this can be done?

davidjoseph

I have used both, and I think Garageband is much better than, as it has user friendly interface as compared to Logic Pro X. I also have better optimizations for MacOS. I think you you should switch to Garageband for some time and see how it works for you and then decide.

For a few days now, I have also been using Audacity on my windows, as I don't have the option to run Garageband on my windows. I still want to run Garageband on my windows laptop somehow. Do you know how this can be done?
Thanks @Robert E. Baker
Garageband can use used in windows with the help of some pc emulators such as vmware or virtual box, Personally, I am using Virtual box because it is quite light weighted and i like it to use. Here is the complete tutorial on that where steps are well explained. Cheers!