INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Rick Prins - 55 - living in Grand Haven, MI - starting to play with an all adult fun marching band... mostly parades - also assist the HS drum leader at sectionals and full rehearsal (I'm basically his b*tch!).

Rick Prins - 55 - living in Grand Haven, MI - starting to play with an all adult fun marching band... mostly parades - also assist the HS drum leader at sectionals and full rehearsal (I'm basically his b*tch!).

is it a senior corps? I am also a percussion instructor/asst. band director for my 9-5!! Our school is a DCI/WGI type drumline program, with concert and jazz band as well. I coordinate the whole program, write the music etc...

Real name? Art Hayes
Age? 53
How long have you been playing? 42 years
Origin of user name? Too many beers while registering for Warcraft and I misspelled 'Metzo' as my user name. I will forever be known in WoW as 'Mezto'
Your top 5 drummers? Peart, Rich, Portnoy, Carey, Morten Løwe Sørensen
Make of drumkit? Yamaha
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? Basement
Are you in a band? Not currently
Do you play covers or originals? Always covers
What style of music? All styles, mostly jazz
Favourite take out food? Chipotle
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I have a music education degree but I've been a mailman for 27 years!
How did you start drumming? 5th grade band circa 1975.

Real name? Arturo
Age? 49
How long have you been playing? 31 years
Origin of user name? I like dogs, I wanted doggy as my username, yahoo made it doggyd69b which i kept not realizing it sounds kind of sexual..
Your top 5 drummers? Hard question I tend to go for speed and stamina so they are mostly extreme metal (David Diepold type).
Make of drumkit? Current sets are a Premier 5 piece, with 5 cymbals, another one is a Mapex 7 piece with 9 Meinl cymbals, and finally a Roland TD11 with 7 electronic cymbals.
Make of cymbal? Zildjian, Wuhan, Meinl, Roland, Alesis, Pintech.
Where do you practice? Home.
Are you in a band? Not currently
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Mostly rock and Metal but play anything.
Favourite take out food? Mmm nothing too messy i am a simple guy
What country do you live in? U. S
One really odd fact about yourself? I constantly have a soundtrack in my head which allows me to learn how to play songs without needing to practice them too much. (Note the videos I posted in YT I did not practice a single one of them I just winged it and it shows).
How did you start drumming? I blame my grandfather, he gave me a small drum when I was 4 y/o and I have loved drums ever since, I was not able to get my first drums until the age of 18 but that was sometime ago.
Currently I have a YouTube channel under the username of Lucyferina where I have posted some badly played covers, I promise to post better ones in the future.

My name is Mikai, 20, U.S., and I have only been playing for less than a month. My username originally comes from another online forum; Talkbass.

I don't have many drumming influences. Mainly Cobus Potgieter and a friend in my band (in which I'm a bassist).

Since I'm just starting out and can't get a full acoustic kit, I play on a cheap electric kit (Alesis Nitro), that is currently in my bedroom.

In my short time of playing, I found myself gravitating towards funk/gospel music. Don't have the chops, but a straight beat and 8th note builds still sound great over gospel/funk lol

Favourite take out food? I'd say a restaurant called Freddy's. 'Burger and fries' place.

I started drumming because I've always wanted to be a drummer ever since I was little. But drums are loud, and so I traded the loudest instrument for the quietest instrument haha

My name is Mikai, 20, U.S., and I have only been playing for less than a month. My username originally comes from another online forum; Talkbass.

I don't have many drumming influences. Mainly Cobus Potgieter and a friend in my band (in which I'm a bassist).

Since I'm just starting out and can't get a full acoustic kit, I play on a cheap electric kit (Alesis Nitro), that is currently in my bedroom.

In my short time of playing, I found myself gravitating towards funk/gospel music. Don't have the chops, but a straight beat and 8th note builds still sound great over gospel/funk lol

Favourite take out food? I'd say a restaurant called Freddy's. 'Burger and fries' place.

I started drumming because I've always wanted to be a drummer ever since I was little. But drums are loud, and so I traded the loudest instrument for the quietest instrument haha

sweet!!! I am on Talkbass as well sometimes. xUpTheIronsX over there...both areas of playing will improve by getting versed on both instruments!!

Real name? Scott

Age? 51

How long have you been playing? First started 41 years ago, but took several breaks in there, some of them quite lengthy indeed—the most recent lasted about 12 years, I think. (During which my chops apparently left me for a younger, undoubtedly better looking guy.)

Origin of user name? Love Gretsch and I think one of the newer Star Wars films had just come out, and it made me think of the line in the original film, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" — which was just supposed to be a funny(ish) play on words and not meant to cast aspersions on anyone here. (It also got me caught in the spam filter, for some reason, when I first registered after lurking for years, and Bernhard had to manually free me.)

Your top 5 drummers? Oh boy. Bruford and Collins are definitely my top two, followed by, I guess, Ringo and Bonham, and then...hm...I guess I'll say Bill Berry, or maybe Dave Grohl. (Although if there is such a thing as a Greatest of All Time, I think it's Tony Williams)

Make of drumkit? Gretsch Catalina Birch

Make of cymbal? Zildjian

Where do you practice? In my basement

Are you in a band? Nope

Do you play covers or originals? When I was in a band, both, but more originals

What style of music? This was way back, but we were sorta kinda alt-country before that was really a thing. Which is to say, most of us grew up on classic rock and punk and were into alternative/college rock at the time, but the guy who wrote most of our stuff wrote countryish stuff, but then tried to sorta alternative it up, making us sound a little bit like if the Cure were covering Nashville tunes poorly.

Favourite take out food? In order: Pizza, Chinese, and shwarma

One really odd fact about yourself? I've met two different Nobel Peace Prize winners, and neither of them were or had ever been President of the United States

How did you start drumming? Poorly, a tradition I've sadly kept up. [rimshot] Parents wanted me to learn an instrument, but the school didn't offer drums—something I'd always wanted to play—so first I took flute lessons, then clarinet and then finally the school added drums as an option. A half dozen of us immediately signed up, but I was the only left after a few weeks. Started with just sticks and a practice pad, which was pretty boring but to the surprise of my parents, I stuck with it. So after a few months, they got me a snare. A few months after that, my uncle gave me my cousin's old MIJ drumset from the 60s, with cymbals that would dent if you even looked at them.

Real name? TK-421
Age? 48 of your Earth years
How long have you been playing? About 37 Earth years
Origin of user name? It’s just the name the Empire gave me
Your top 5 drummers? Believe it or not, Lord Vader was pretty killer behind the kit. Luke? Not so much. But he gave it the ol’ Jedi try. As far as Earth drummers, I’d say Vinnie Colaiuta, Gavin Harrison, Antonio Sanchez and Elvin Jones top my list.
Make of drumkit? A brand made by the Empire called Dark Force 3000. They look and sound an awful lot like Gretsch.
Make of cymbal? Lately I’ve been using disembodied bits of protocol droids—like C-3PO, but not him specifically—as cymbals.
Where do you practice? The Death Star. The new one, not those first two that got blown up.
Are you in a band? Yup. Emperor Palpatine slaps a mean bass, so it’s him and me plus a few other stormtroopers. We're called Lightning Hands.
Do you play covers or originals? Mostly originals. But we do cover the Imperial March by request.
What style of music? Mostly progressive rock, but some jazz as well
Favourite take out food? Pizza the Hutt
What country do you live in? Does the Death Star count as a country? I also have a condo in LA.
One really odd fact about yourself? I’m one of about 500,000 clones. Sometimes I run into a clone brother in the Death Star cafeteria. It gets really awkward.
How did you start drumming? Needed something to pass the time between slaughtering Jawas and searching for those stolen plans. Which we never found, by the way.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Nice to see this forum is still around! I think I made an account like 8-9 years ago but I can't remember it haha. I'm Rick, originally from AZ but now living in Brooklyn. I grew up playing concert percussion but drum set was always sort of a hobby for me. Now I go to NYU studying film scoring.

Real name?-Rick McGuire
Age?-23
How long have you been playing?-10 years
Origin of user name?-n/a
Your top 5 drummers?-Jason McGerr, Steve Smith, Steve Jordan, Nate Smith, Steve Gadd
Make of drumkit?-Roland TD-1
Make of cymbal?-n/a
Where do you practice?-My apartment
Are you in a band?-Nope
Do you play covers or originals?-Covers
What style of music?-Indie Pop
Favourite take out food?-Dumplings
What country do you live in?-USA
One really odd fact about yourself?-I can clap with one hand
How did you start drumming?-Signed up in 5th grade band. The rest is history

The first "Introduction" thread lasted six years (!), went for 61 pages, had thousands of posts, and as of today had over one hundred and eighty thousand views. Time to put the old girl out to pasture. This is the new "Introduction" thread. Let's see if it makes it another six years!

*************************************************​

Welcome to the DrummerWorld forum. Please use this thread to introduce yourself. Answer the following questions (all optional), and let us know about you.

Real name? Bill Stieger
Age? Old! 67
How long have you been playing? Since '68.
Origin of user name? jazzerooty...go figure
Your top 5 drummers? Tony, Elvin, Art, Philly, Max.
Make of drumkit? Gretsch and Canopus.
Make of cymbal? Ziljdian
Where do you practice? Basement. Band studio.
Are you in a band? Yes. I lead a band called "No Room For Squares."
Do you play covers or originals? Both.
What style of music? Hard bop.
Favourite take out food? Tai
One really odd fact about yourself? I still hope to keep improving on my playing.
How did you start drumming? Saw Gene Krupa on television. Then Ringo sealed the deal: "I can do that."

Copy and paste these questions into your reply and let's learn about each other.

Before we start HERE is my link to my new album, Buttered Popcorn By: Dakota Cochran, A.K.A. me!

And HERE is my current Drumless Track feel welcome to add drums and make it a co-op, the ISRC is QZHNC1977058 which would be needed to get official permission to re-license, re-publish, and re-release.

Message me about working together Example Credit "Speak (Feat. Mr./Ms. Doe) [Instrumental]"
Use ISRC above to request a cover license for yourself. Example Credit "Speak (Cover)"

Real name? Dakota Cochran
Age? 23
How long have you been playing? Instruments - 16 Years : Drum Techniques - <1 Year
Origin of user name? It's my name, I'm bold and a solo producer so brand recognition is a big part for me!
Your top 5 drummers? Alex Van Hallen (H.f.T. Intro), Nick Mason, Jeremy Spencer, Jimmy Chamberlin, Sean Kinney
Make of drumkit? N/A
Make of cymbal? N/A
Where do you practice? Theory Anywhere
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? Originals so far, covers may eventually be a possibility but currently originals.

What style of music? Alternative, Ambiance, Country, Dance, Pop, Rhythm and Blues, Soundtrack
One really odd fact about yourself? The first guitar tab I learned start to finish was the Super Mario Bros. Theme Song
How did you start drumming? Electronically v.v no shaming please ?

Real name? Anderson Sunda
Age? 33
How long have you been playing? 19 years
Origin of user name? First two initials plus last name
Your top 5 drummers? Guy Patterson, Rickie Mazzotta, Art Blakey, Neil Peart, Lars Ulrich (just kidding, I hate Lars).
Make of drumkit? Gretsch New Classic, Mapex Saturn
Make of cymbal? Zildjian, Paiste, Bosphorus
Where do you practice? My house,
Are you in a band? not since high school. Spent my 20's in college and starting my career (art teacher), now that I've achieved some stability, I'm hoping to make time to get back into playing with a band again.
Do you play covers or originals? Both, I guess?
What style of music? Rock, punk, blues, funk, a little of everything
Favourite take out food? Chinese
What country do you live in? Paris, Kentucky, U.S. of A.
One really odd fact about yourself? Gosh there are so many. I dabble in medieval reenactment and have the pics to prove it (not cosplay. I'm a history buff, not a fantasy nerd. Well, okay I am a fantasy nerd, but that's not related to the reenactment).
How did you start drumming? Started taking lessons in the 8th grade because my dad thought I needed an extracurricular activity.

Real name? Roberto
Age? 50
How long have you been playing? Since I was 12
Origin of user name? Abbreviation of my name and year I was born, nothing fancy
Your top 5 drummers? Mike Clark, John Bonham, Zigaboo Modeliste, Steve Gadd, Phil Gould
Make of drumkit? Remo Mastertouch for bashing, Gretsch Catalina to try and learn some jazz
Make of cymbal? 100% Paiste
Where do you practice? My newly built practice spot in the garage
Are you in a band? Not anymore and not yet
Do you play covers or originals? Covers
What style of music? Funk, Rock and approaching my Jazz
Favourite take out food? Pizza of course
What country do you live in? Italy
One really odd fact about yourself? My heart is in the state of Oregon
How did you start drumming? Watching a band in school

Real name? Terry (or TC)
Age? 54
How long have you been playing? 36 years.
Origin of user name? My original email name from the early 90's.
Your top 5 drummers? Phil Gould, Mickey Curry, Gary Husband, Stewart Copeland, Tony Thompson.
Make of drumkit? Yamaha Rock Tour Custom in Cobalt Blue (previously owned by Gary Husband during his tenure with Level 42)
Make of cymbal? Zildjian - A/A Custom/K/K Custom, with K/Z hi-hats, a Paiste Rude China and a few Stagg DH cymbals.
Where do you practice? Rehearsal studios, mainly in London or Berkshire.
Are you in a band? 5 - two XTC tribute bands, a neo-prog rock band, an RnB based band and a function band.
Do you play covers or originals? Covers with the tribute and function bands, originals for the others
What style of music? All - except thrash metal :)
Favourite take out food? KFC
What country do you live in? UK - England
One really odd fact about yourself? I used to run 1500m in 4:05
How did you start drumming? After watching Stewart Copeland at Wembley in 1983, I joined the school band... I was dabbling before, but seriously took it up thereafter.
View attachment 88307
View attachment 88308
5 bands! Lordy. ?

Real name? Jeff Crouse
Age? 42
How long have you been playing? 32 years
Origin of user name? Yep
Your top 5 drummers? Elvin Jones, Howard Curtis, Tony Williams, Jeff Hamilton, Bill Stewart
Make of drumkit? Gretsch
Make of cymbal? Zildjian/Istanbul
Where do you practice? Home office/music room
Are you in a band? Not now. I do a little freelance playing as well as the praise band at church.
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Mostly jazz and praise. Some blues in the past.
Favourite take out food? Burger and fries :)
One really odd fact about yourself? My birthmark is in my hair on the back of my head.
How did you start drumming? 6th grade band. Was fortunate to get an excellent private teach in the summer after 6th who really inspired me.

Back