INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Hello! A 58 year old new drummer! Had to wait 50 years to have my own drum set!kids are grown and I live in the country so I can bang away! Thanks for letting me join in, I have so much to learn and catch up on!!

Name; Mark Shells

Drum set: Pearl W-5 with wood/fiberglass kick

Beginner Drummer

Play in my Man Cave

Cymbals Zildjiancrash, ride and high hat

Favorite Drummer, Neal/Rush

Rock, Jazz

Last edited:
Real name? Liam
31 from Toronto
Playing a few years now
In a band, Chainfall - Only have a 3 song EP

Kit

Yamaha Live Oak Custom 6 piece
Paiste PST 7 cymbals
DW 3000 double kick pedals
Trick Drum linkage chain
Meinl hi hat stand
Vater Xtreme design 5B

Favorite drummers - Nick Menza, Vince Nudo, Brann Dailor, Vinnie Paul, Lars Ulrich, Mikkey Dee and lots more. Big fan of drums that punch out the guitar riffs, and yes I realize Brann doesn't play like that so much but he's awesome.
Enjoy play rock and metal but listen to all genres, except country.

Attachments

• Chainkit.jpg
    Chainkit.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 71
Newbie drummer here. I've been lurking, so it's probably time to post!

Age? 37

How long have you been playing? About a month.

Origin of user name? Kid's mispronunciation of *white* kitty

Make of drumkit? Pearl Roadshow, 12/14/16/22. I think there might be a Ludwig kit in my future.

Make of cymbal? Zildjian ZBT 14" hi-hats, A. Zildjian (1960s, I believe) 24" ride. I'd like a large crashable ride, but am trying to avoid GAS.

Where do you practice? Mostly in the basement. I have a practice pad in the kitchen and a pair of sticks at work to occasionally bang on books and stuff.

Are you in a band? Nope, though my significant other and I are going to eventually play together

Do you play covers or originals? Originals are the plan.

What style of music? Rock, especially sludgy doom/drone metal. I'd like to learn a variety of styles, though.

Favourite take out food? All time favorite: Ethiopian! It's not available where I currently live, so it's pizza and Indian for now.

What country do you live in? USA, Wisconsin...for now

One really odd fact about yourself? The only paid gigs I've ever had as a musician were with a crazy jazz fusion group...on the oboe.

How did you start drumming? My significant other (who plays guitar) has a vision to make music, and we've been talking about playing music together for years. While I'm proficient (though not great) on the keyboard, what the music will really need is drums!

I dusted off my metronome and got a pair of sticks and practice pad to test the waters, and had so much fun that I got drums shortly thereafter. I'm so excited to have found an instrument that combines two things I like - music and physical activity - and wish I'd started years ago!

Name: Ben

Live: Perth in Western Australia.

Age: 46 years young! Very few grey hairs and I have a head full of hair so far.

Hobbies: Collecting Star Wars action figures, Hiking, Running, Star Wars Lego, DIY projects, Sci Fi/Fantasy movies.

Kit: Remo Acousticon in white with a DR-80 Pearl Drum Rack. My other kit is my self appointed club kit.....a Pearl Maxwin that my girlfriend painted with black on yellow tiger stripes.

Cymbals: UFIP, Zildjian, Soultone, Stagg, Sabian

Band: predominantly original bands, last 4 years in cover bands.

Playing: love my practice time. I think actually creating a deliberate, focused practice routine is just as challenging as a complex drum pattern 😭😭😭. Love the idea of improving myself.

Drummers: I love Tommy Igoe and Rick Latham.

Hello!

My name is Eric. I am an educator/session drummer and have been playing for 21 years. Some of my favorite genres to play are progressive metal and rock. Looking forward to meeting a lot of new drummers here. To see and learn more about my playing you can visit my website:

www.ericshepparddrums.com

Thanks for having me!

Hey Guys,

I'm from Australia, 32 years old. I've just joined Drummer World, looking forward to learning new things from you all. You can find more info about me and my online drum lessons services at my site. Thanks!

www.drumdragon.com

Greetings All! I've enjoyed this site for years and thought I should make it official and register so I can join in the fun and add my 2 cents where I can.

Real name? Lee Sykes
Age? 44
How long have you been playing? 35 years
Origin of user name? My first name is Donald and one of my favorite drummers is the late, great John Henry Bonham. Bonzo was his nickname and some of my musical friends call me Donzo as a tribute, knowing that I'm a big Zeppelin and Bonham fan. I tacked on the '74' since it's the year of my birth and to make the name unique since "Donzo" was already taken.
Your top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Jojo Mayer
Make of drumkit? Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? At home
Are you in a band? Yes, several
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? rock, blues, jazz, country, gospel and originals
Favourite take out food? Pizza
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? When I was a kid, I would hang out at the music store and tune drums, for fun!
How did you start drumming? I started drumming in middle school concert band. I had previously taken piano lessons so knowing the keyboard instrument layout and having some prior musical experience was my foot in the door and I haven't looked back since. I still love playing piano with my limited skills but I found my musical identity in playing drums and percussion!

Hi everyone, my name is Paul and I'm the owner of Movement Drum Co. I dig the forums and have been lurking for years now, but finally stepping out of my comfort zone to engage with the drum community!

Real name Paul Kim!
Age 30
How long have you been playing: Haven't been playing much these days, but since HS
Origin of user name: My company :)
Your top 5 drummers? My favorite drummers are probably Stephen Morris from New Order / Joy Division and Bryan Devendorf from the National
Favourite take out food? In-n-Out!
What country do you live in? Los Angeles
One really odd fact about yourself? When I was a kid, I reluctantly took piano lessons from a recent high school grad. Years later, she moved to Korea and became a mega star: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lena_Park
How did you start drumming? Started because of my church, fell in love with it instantly!

Hey everyone

I just wanted to introduce myself as I'm new to the forum looking to share my playing with more experienced people and hopefully in someway find a band out of it too.

Real name? Jay Mills
Age? 14
How long have you been playing? 3 years
Origin of user name? I have dreadlocks \m/
Your top 5 drummers? Joey Jordison, Jay Weinberg, Mario Duplantier, Ray Luzier, Igor Cavalera
Make of drumkit? Pearl Export
Make of cymbal? Meinl Classic Custom
Where do you practice? In a warehouse near where I live
Are you in a band? No but I really want to be! If there's anyone near me who wants to jam, please hit me up. I think I'm struggling to find one because of my age.
Do you play covers or originals? Covers mainly but I'd be up for doing my own stuff.
What style of music? Groove metal mainly, rock and some funk.
Favourite take out food? Chinese
What country do you live in? England, UK
One really odd fact about yourself? Not really about me but the town where I live has no metal musicians in it.
How did you start drumming? After listening to Joey Jordison of Slipknot

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to message me. \m/

Real name? JJ Mazza

Age? 14

How long have you been playing? 10 Years

Origin of user name? Like sirmixalot, but jazz.

Your top 5 drummers?(in no particular order) Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Mark Guiliana, Louis Cole, JD Beck.

Make of drumkit? Gretsch Catalina Jazz (soon to be a broadkaster), PDP Concept Maple.

Make of cymbal? Zildjian

Where do you practice? My parents basement

Are you in a band? Many

Do you play covers or originals? Both

What style of music? Jazz/Fusion/Hip Hop

Favourite take out food? Lo-Mein

One really odd fact about yourself? I like bass (shhhh)

How did you start drumming? Grew up in a family of musicians.

Ya know, I’ve been here almost a year and a half I think , and forgive me, I never formally introduced myself in this thread I don’t think ?, although I have shared a little info here and there when it was somewhat relevant to a thread . Didn’t intentionally mean to be so rude and forget my manners ?

Real name? Paul

Age? 52

How long have you been playing?

40 years but took a 15-20 year break from the kit while raising a family and working , although I did play in a bagpipe band during that time and still do .

Origin of user name? .......Ummm , I’m over 50 and I like and play drums ??‍♂️

Your top 5 drummers? .......This is a tough one , it changes here and there but right now it’s Bonham, Peart, Colaiuta, Cobham, and Gadd . As I’ve gotten older I’ve been getting more into different kinds of Metal and right now am diggin sevendusts Morgan Rose . Love watching him , and they put on one of the best live shows I’ve seen in a while .

Make of drum-kit ?....... Ludwig and pearl franken-kit ?, currently searching for a good used intermediate kit. Either Tama or Sonor

Make of cymbal? Some vintage Zildjian and Paiste

Where do you practice? .......My basement/studio/man cave

Are you in a band? ........Not in a band on a kit as of yet , still shaking of the rust , but still in a bagpipe band

Do you play covers or originals?...... Both

What style of music? ........Rock, heavy rock, and blues, but enjoy a little of everything

Favourite take out food? ......Never touch the stuff really( dietary restrictions) , but if I do ..... Asian stir fry

What country do you live in? ....U.S.A

One really odd fact about yourself?
Not odd so much , but a cool thing . Once jammed a few Black Sabbath songs with twisted sister when I was about 16 or so.

Was forced to take accordion lessons for like three years from age 8-11. Never should have given it up . I might have been the next weird Al and I’d be making records with Bermuda right now lol !

How did you start drumming? I’m from a musical family . 3 younger sisters play strings and piano , mother and father played some piano , I played clarinet and sax and switched to drums around 12 years old to jam with my guitarist brother who also played trumpet and played tuba in the US Navy band for 6 years . We were all mostly self taught with school instruction and some lessons here and there in elementary and middle school years.

Last edited:
Real name? Patrice

Age? 46

How long have you been playing? 5 years

Origin of user name? It's my real name and the first letter of my family name.

Your top 5 drummers? Phil Collins, Ringo, Bill Bruford, Mitch Mitchell, Mike Shrieve

Make of drumkit? Gretsch Catalina Club

Make of cymbal? Dream, Sabian and Zildjian

Where do you practice? In the basement

Are you in a band? No

Do you play covers or originals? Original

What style of music? Eclectic

Favourite take out food? Shish Taouk

What country do you live in? Canada

One really odd fact about yourself? My main instrument (I've played since I was 7 years old) is the recorder (little flute we learn here at elementary school)

How did you start drumming? Found used piece of drums in the garbage 5 years ago then bought a Mapex Voyager (now sitting at the school where I teach music) and recently the Gretsch.

Real name? Matija
Age? 36 (feel 22 tho)
How long have you been playing? 15 years - actively in a band

Your top 5 drummers? Bonzo, Mario Ruvalcava (Off! and Earthless), Mitch Mitchell, Tommy Ramone, and recently Sonny Payne
Make of drumkit? TACTON ca. 1980. The finest product of Soviet bloc :) Sounds and looks nice. Someday I will get me some classic Ludwigs or Rogers though.

Make of cymbal? Paiste.
Paiste 404 set of 18'' 20'' and 22'' with a 505 medium hats. Love them to death. I baby these 'baby giant beats'. recording and light practice only.

For daily (ab)use I have PST 7 - 19'' crash, 20'' ride(as crash) and 14'' medium hats (often paired with a pst5 sound edge bottom).
I use either a 70s 22'' 101 ride ( great sound and wash but no bell and ping), or a cheap Zultan 22'' medium ride (great ping but useless as crash). Need a disposable alternative to this...

Are you in a band? We have a punk band called UnderPodnGrabn. I sometimes also do lo-fi bedroom recordings as Matthias von Stumberger.
And I play spradically in a british-slovenian country flavored psychobilly combo called Nero Burns.

Do you play covers or originals? Originals only!
What style of music? Ranges from 60s garage / surfy fuzzy stuff to hard rock / punk. Generally 'hard alternative', I'd say.

What country do you live in? Slovenia.

Attachments

• 12923282_10154030219314593_8241496512147906456_n.jpg
    12923282_10154030219314593_8241496512147906456_n.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3
Hello, everyone - thanks for adding me to the forum!

Real name? Mark Weaver
Age? 50
How long have you been playing? Had my first drum lesson at 8 or 9 years old and have never looked back.
Origin of user name? "Weave" is what many people call me, and "2112" is because - you guessed it - I'm a RUSH fan.
Your top 5 drummers? Tough to keep it at 5, but here goes: Buddy Rich; Steve Gadd; Charlie Watts; John Bonham; Neil Peart
Make of drumkit? Noble & Cooley; Slingerland; Rogers
Make of cymbal? Paiste; Amedia
Where do you practice? I am fortunate enough to have a music room in my basement.
Are you in a band? Yes - the name is Rural Legend - same group of guys for the past 22 years. I also play in a worship band every Sunday morning.
Do you play covers or originals? 99% covers
What style of music? Irish Pub Songs; Classic Rock; Progressive Rock; Jazz; Worship music.
Favourite take out food? Subway.
One really odd fact about yourself? I can sing in an Irish brogue authentic enough to fool people who are actually from Ireland (I'm not Irish, nor have I ever been to Ireland).
How did you start drumming? Went to see Buddy Rich perform at my sister's high school back in 1976 or 77. After that, I wanted more than anything to learn to play the drums. First drum lessons began not long after that.

Hey Everyone, Glad to be here! I'm Foggie Blur

Really keen to get on here, get contributing and get feedback on my playing from everyone. Open to anything!

How long have you been playing? Off and on for 30 years
Origin of user name? For social, political, personal reasons, I can't show my face in videos! :) Foggie Blur seemed to be fitting!
Your top 5 drummers? So many to choose from -
Make of drumkit? Mapex Pro M with Mapex Steel Black Panther Snare
Make of cymbal? Sabian custom hybrid 13 inch, hihats, Sabian and Zildjian cymbals.

Are you in a band? No just got mikes and a mixer and have started a Youtube channel for fun.
Do you play covers or originals? Covers, original grooves and solos.
What style of music? Hard rock, metal, funk, soul, pop, anything really

What country do you live in? Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How did you start drumming? Saw Tommy Lee in Motley Crue's - Theatre of Pain tour. Changed the course of my life!

Here's my first posted solo with my new mikes and mixer: (Will post in other section as well.)

2 min - Echo Drum Solo
https://youtu.be/kH1atL6vkDw

Hello,
Thanks for letting me join the forum.
Real name? Chad
Age? 44
How long have you been playing? started in elementary school, but hadn't played since high school till recently
Origin of user name? just made up
Your top 5 drummers?
Make of drum kit? an old second hand ludwig
Where do you practice? at home
Are you in a band? no where near good enough for that
Do you play covers or originals? try some of both
What style of music? little of everything from jaz to rock to metal
Favourite take out food? yuck
How did you start drumming? the school band

Last edited:
Real name? Jake
Age? thirty
How long have you been playing? 13 years
Origin of user name? Consistency
Your top 5 drummers? Morgan Rose, Danny Carey, Francis Mark, Cobus, Travis Barker
Make of drumkit? Mapex Meridian Maple, Candy Apple Burst (so pretty!)
Make of cymbal? As of now; Sabian Xs20s
Where do you practice? In a storage facility (basically a garage) and bandmates basement studio.
Are you in a band? Two; Mr. Kickass (punk) and G'narwahls (formerly Dare to Kill; various rock styles)
Do you play covers or originals? 99% originals, a cover here or there but rare.
What style of music? I enjoy playing hard rock, punk, pop/indie, alt rock.
Favourite take out food? Burritos and ice cream
What country do you live in? US
One really odd fact about yourself? I am a mediocre drummer, hockey goalie, and disc golfer.
How did you start drumming? First year in college got really into/good at Rock Band, which turned into getting an electronic drum set and teaching myself to play.

Real name Dave
Age 47
How long have you been playing 25-ish yrs
Origin of user name Seinfeld/Importer-Exporter/Marine Biologist
Your top 5 drummers Jeff Porcaro, John Bonham, Steve Gadd, Glenn Kotche, Terry Bozzio - this will change frequently
Make of drumkit Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Stage Custom
Make of cymbal Sabian, Dream, Wuhan
Where do you practice Basement
Are you in a band Yes
Do you play covers or originals Covers (did originals about 20 yrs ago)
What style of music Rock, R&B
Favourite take out food Depends on my mood - craving a Jersey Mike's sub right now
What country do you live in USA
One really odd fact about yourself I have a nearly paralyzing fear of bugs
How did you start drumming Nervous habit of tapping - realized I could parlay it into something more useful

Hi guys, I don't think I've posted this, since I was asking a few questions on sound engineering, I thought it apt to post a wee bit about myself.

Real name? James (or Jimmy)
Age? 40
How long have you been playing? On and off since I was 16.
Origin of user name? Based on the Who song 905 - the reason for choosing that song is a secret only known to me in my world. It's not a very well known tune found on the album 'Who Are You' by The Who
Your top 5 drummers? Keith Moon, John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, Stuart Copeland.
Make of drumkit? Used to own a Mapex V Series, sold it but have ambitions to get a Mahogany Premiere kit. Usually play on jam nights on other drums, don't have the facility to play an acoustic kit at home at the moment.
Make of cymbal? Have a K Custom Dark Crash which I am fond of, but want to get some old Paiste Cymbals - have some Sabiens etc.
Where do you practice? Jam nights or at the local studios in Edinburgh.
Are you in a band? No, just jamming at the moment - I'm getting back into it after a long break. I usually find myself taking a year off then a year back on the drums again over the years.
Do you play covers or originals? It's usually just feeling my way around jams, not very good at remembering specific songs apart from The Who and some other R&B bands.
What style of music? Heavy R&B and a bit of funk.
Favourite take out food? Chilli shredded beef with a special egg fried rice or fish and chips with loads of vinegar.
What country do you live in? UK
One really odd fact about yourself? I'm a screenwriter.
How did you start drumming? Standard Grades at school, started getting taught by watching lessons by funk drummers on videos, then jammed with a Who covers band for a while, but that was in the north of England. Finding a band that covers The Who in Scotland is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Hi everybody from Spain. I'm 53 years old, I have been learning drums for the last 4 years in a local school. I use a Roland TD-1KV connected to an old Macbook with Addictive Drums 2. Last June I joined a band and I bought a Tama Imperialstar and Zultan Rock Beat cymbals. We play or at least we try to play covers, mostly rock and blues.

Back