Input on my new Yamaha DFP9C

EyeMsteve

Hey guys and gals. I've recently purchased the New yamaha double chain pedal. I'm sad to say that my first impression with it were not very good. It seems I can't get a whole lot of speed and power with it. I'm having trouble playing consistent double strokes and 16th notes with the single pedal.

I've read that a lot of people have not liked the factory settings that it comes with out of the box and I understand it has 3 cam options and footboard angle adjustments etc.

Does anyone have experience with this pedal or have any advice on making it perform better. Cheers

I've had the same pedal since the end of July. I love it when it works, but it's got a habit of letting the beater slip on that infinitely adjustable cam. I'm taking mine back under warranty and hopefully the replacement doesn't have that issue.

I ended up selling mine. I couldn't get it to feel as good as the previous Yamaha pedal, and I tried everything. I really wanted to love it. Felt too heavy, too much resistance, no matter what I did.

In the end, the guys from PMT Manchester have put a washer on each beater by the screw. It seems to be holding, and I'll post back if that is the case or not.

Just to report after a few months of playing I've had the tiniest amount of slippage, maybe no more than a couple of degrees. You can see the beaters arent quite lined up anymore. I'm super happy with the pedal now though.

nothing has happened with my bass drum beater angle though I have seen people talk about this before. I have a two week old Yamaha FP9C and I think it is pretty good, especially compared to my old pedal. After some adjustment I got it to feel pretty good. One thing that I would change is all the blue parts. Don’t really like them. If you want a really light feel, go for the FP9500C but that has limited adjustability. Overall I am happy with my FP9C and have had no problems (apart from the black felt beater).

A little bit off topic, but maybe somebody in here knows: the chain link version is offered by Yamaha as a lefty version, the direct drive is not as far as I can see. Is it possible to convert it to lefty like the Pearl direct drive?

A little bit off topic, but maybe somebody in here knows: the chain link version is offered by Yamaha as a lefty version, the direct drive is not as far as I can see. Is it possible to convert it to lefty like the Pearl direct drive?

Out of the box, probably not, and here is why. The (blue) bearing housing in the center of the mainshaft is held to the crossbar via Allen screws. The upright posts, crossbar, and hoop clamp assembly all appear to be molded as one piece. If you flip this around it 1: won't fit on the baseplate correctly; and 2: even if it did, you can't attach the pedal to the hoop.

If you are mechanically inclined and good with tools, you can make it work. You would have to take the endcaps (blue) off the top of the posts and disassemble the mainshaft completely. You now must put it together backwards and so the linkage/beater holders face the correct direction. After that you would have to tap the crossbar to accept the Allen screws at the new location for the center bearing housing. If you are able to do all this, you can make it a lefty.

The slave wouldn't be so bad, just flip the mainshaft so the driveshaft attaches on the left instead of right.

Check the pic to see what I mean:

image000000_02.jpg

Thank you for your detailed answer!

Meinl Germany (Tama distributor) offered me to convert a Dyna-Sync (which is also not offered lefty, only god knows why...) without voiding the warranty. Maybe I get the same deal for the Yamaha as I prefer their design.

Ooooh, this has been very interesting to read because I was just starting to think about getting the chain version and swapping out for the strap... I'm always apprehensive about pedals that have this many moving parts though. Versatility is great but not when things are going to slip. Following this for sure, and also curious if anyone knows the actual LENGTH measurement of the footplate? It looks extended in photos but I can't find that info in the specs anywhere. I was recently considering the standard (non-folding) Jojo Mayer pedal but you can't friggin' change out the beater for anything non-Sonor because the bottom part is flat on two sides! I want to use my Lowboy...

Ooooh, this has been very interesting to read because I was just starting to think about getting the chain version and swapping out for the strap... I'm always apprehensive about pedals that have this many moving parts though. Versatility is great but not when things are going to slip. Following this for sure, and also curious if anyone knows the actual LENGTH measurement of the footplate? It looks extended in photos but I can't find that info in the specs anywhere. I was recently considering the standard (non-folding) Jojo Mayer pedal but you can't friggin' change out the beater for anything non-Sonor because the bottom part is flat on two sides! I want to use my Lowboy...

I bought a lefty chain drive and ordered the direct link spare parts to get myself a DFP9DL so to speak. Converting was super easy and done in 5 minutes. Same as swapping from chain to strap (which is included anyways).

The length of the footboard is 27,5cm from hinge to where the chain/direct link/strap is mounted.

Back