Inexpensive? Yes...but I LOVE THEM

If it wasn’t for a 6 month delay and 2 failed orders I too would be the proud owner of a World max NOB! (y) :)
You have got one but it's got the Ludwig badge on it.

They're great snares, used mine for recording and live. It just cuts through everything and the tone is there as well.

Has anyone ever had a mid-level kit that they just loved?
I’ve played maybe a dozen mid-level kits in various churches: Gretsch Catalina, Tama Superstar, Pearl Export , Yamaha Stage.

Without exception, they all sounded really great with new heads and all cleaned up. It was always the hardware that got abused and mangled, and it happened on all brands.

" . . . they have a new kit for you. Yet you ignore them because you know what you have is all you need?"

That encapsulates how I feel about my entire setup:

Snare: Pearl Music City Custom USA

Toms and bass: Pearl Session Studio Select

Cymbals: Zildjian A Avedis

With the above appointments, I can record and gig with equal success. Unless my gear is stolen or damaged, my needs (and wants) are fulfilled. For years to come, heads and sticks will be my only acquisitions. You can tether me to that announcement.
I wouldn't classify your setup as "inexpensive".

I wouldn't classify your setup as "inexpensive".
Neither would I. I know I've got great gear. Even better, it's the exact gear I want, and I feel fortunate to possess it. My response wasn't directed toward the price-point concept. I was addressing the question of being content with my setup and having no need (or longing) to replace it or expand it. That's a very satisfying condition I don't take for granted.

I doubt gear gratification has much to do with entry-level, midrange, or high-end affiliations. It's more about finding what calls to you and works for the music you're playing -- as well as for the settings in which you're playing it. It's a highly individualistic equation that can defy the hierarchies of price tags.

Neither would I. I know I've got great gear. Even better, it's the exact gear I want, and I feel fortunate to possess it. My response wasn't directed toward the price-point concept. I was addressing the question of being content with my setup and having no need (or longing) to replace it or expand it. That's a very satisfying condition I don't take for granted.

I doubt gear gratification has much to do with entry-level, midrange, or high-end affiliations. It's more about finding what calls to you and works for the music you're playing -- as well as for the settings in which you're playing it. It's a highly individualistic equation that can defy the hierarchies of price tags.
First word in thread title.......... "inexpensive".

Has anyone ever had a mid-level kit that they just loved? One that did the job a higher end kit would do...

I've liked and been impressed with mid-level kits, but I've never really loved them because I would find myself always looking for something else. When I bought my Pork Pie USA kit, I stopped looking at drum sets for a decade. The only reason why I bought another set is because I took my Pie kit to church and left it there. I learned about Ludwig Classic Maple during this time. I still have a lot of love for Pork Pie, but I love the kit I'm playin now. To my ears, a mid-level kit won't touch it.

I do! My Sonor Force 2001 was at the time a mid-level (though might be considered more entry level in this day and age) but it's still my main recording set. I don't gig with it much anymore, I have other, higher quality sets in gig bags ready to go so it's just more convenient. But it's still my favorite.

Premier XPS...got it new around 1995.(teal finish turned out to be a good choice)

It is considered a mid-level set...I couldn't really imagine a better set of shells. I really like the birch overall. Bearing edges are flawless...but not all of the floor models were cut properly-possibly custom mis-cut...was fortunate to understand the issue when I was shopping)

I really don't need new shells...but my cymbal/tom stands could use some replacement...along with a lifetime supply of sticks(Rock and Jazz natural finish plastic tipped Vics would be fine) and ambassador weight heads(not too picky on brand but I have traditionally really enjoyed Remo)

It's an odd market...I get confused when I sit at some 'High End' shelled sets and try to do the math on paying so much more for what I am hearing. As most understand, the sound is usually in the heads, beds and tuning (well, and playing of course : )

You're an elitist now like us other gear whores!
Though I decline admittance to that hapless clan, I do appreciate the generous offer.

If you want to get technical, my Session Studio Select toms and bass could be defined as midrange from a price perspective, though Pearl does market them as a professional line. I got them not because of the rung they occupy on the status ladder but because I really love their tone. They have a special something that sets them apart from the Masters offerings. It's not that I dislike the Masters. The Sessions just appeal to me more.

Though I decline admittance to that hapless clan, I do appreciate the generous offer.

If you want to get technical, my Session Studio Select toms and bass could be defined as midrange from a price perspective, though Pearl does market them as a professional line. I got them not because of the rung they occupy on the status ladder but because I really love their tone. They have a special something that sets them apart from the Masters offerings. It's not that I dislike the Masters. The Sessions just appeal to me more.
I think you're trying to play both sides of the fence there bro. I read that review of that $900+ snare you're now sporting. The export and stage custom peeps don't take kindly to that type of ostentatiousness! 🤣 ;)

I think you're trying to play both sides of the fence there bro. I read that review of that $900+ snare you're now sporting. The export and stage custom peeps don't take kindly to that type of ostentatiousness! 🤣 ;)
I don't play sides of fences. I cut fences down to facilitate trespassing.

I'll still be playing my Music City Custom snare ten years from now. It's the snare I wanted for a lot of different reasons. Ostentation wasn't one of them.

Over my time here on the Forum, I've seen many posts about upgrading your drums. Most of us started out on a beater kit that got us through some good times & took a licking. But then opportunity knocked & we upgraded to our "holy grail" kit. One that does everything you could ever dream of & is probably the one you'll keep for life.

This begs the question: Has anyone ever had a mid-level kit that they just loved? One that did the job a higher end kit would do & yet you didn't feel the need to upgrade? One that you take a ribbing for by your friends in the form of, "You still playing on that bar basher? Dude...2021 called, they have a new kit for you." Yet you ignore them because you know what you have is all you need?
I have found my holy grail of kits with the Ludwig Vistalite that probably more in line with your answer to the second.

However your second question definitely makes me think of my Pearl Sessions, but they also make me think of my old PDP FS series kit too.

Stop it! 🙂
You have inflicted yourself and us with your suspect semantic drudgery in the form of topicals around here so much so, you have our guy @GetAgrippa talking in not mathematic equations but functions and they’re relative!

I have found my holy grail of kits with the Ludwig Vistalite that probably more in line with your answer to the second.

However your second question definitely makes me think of my Pearl Sessions, but they also make me think of my old PDP FS series kit too.

Stop it! 🙂
You have inflicted yourself and us with your suspect semantic drudgery in the form of topicals around here so much so, you have our guy @GetAgrippa talking in not mathematic equations but functions and they’re relative!
I refuse to enter the arena of loquaciousness occupied by our thesaurus inspired and verbose supreme leader of Pearl fan persons. Not only that, I will not subject myself to voluminous diatribes of Mr. GetAgrippa unless absolutely necessary. If can't you say it in a couple sentences, I'm scrollin' on by. ;)

I recall a budget Pearl Wild 500 sounding fantastic that I used in a practice space set. Also had a ZHT 20" flat ride that sound fantastic as well, another budget cymbal.

Back