In case you’d like to try this -

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
4DE7B6E5-3162-4A0C-96C3-282D897FEF59.jpegBA4CB8EE-4219-473A-A435-35D8C0820C89.jpeg
So I report here that this method of tom mounting works! If anyone would like to try it, I’m including the catalog part numbers for you to try.

First off, the tom itself gets the Ludwig LAPAM1 Atlas tom mount (which replaces a lug), then the other two pieces you need are the Gibraltar SC-SPCM L-arm receiver and clamp (with 1” downtube), coupled with the Gibraltar SC-LBL 12.7mm L-Rod ball arm.

The Ludwig Atlas mount comes with its own memory lock, but I added a Ludwig 1” memory lock for the downtube that couples with the traditional classic base plate mount.

So far I’ve let the set up sit for a few days like this and it holds remarkably well and the tom sings really good mounted this way. It does not over-bounce when played, it’s solid with enough give.

If anyone wants to mount a single tom to a Ludwig bass drum mount without having to drill anything, I hope this provides you with an alternative. This set-up really works for me.

I much prefer the mounted tom(s) to be mounted on the bass drum. My Saturn bass drums came with no mount, so I drilled and used Gibraltar parts. Peace and goodwill.

100_0581.JPG

I have wondered about the strength of the Atlas mounts and wobbling. I think it may not be good for old 3 ply drums though. I think you have a winner there.

I have wondered about the strength of the Atlas mounts and wobbling. I think it may not be good for old 3 ply drums though. I think you have a winner there.
Perhaps you’re right about the 3-ply drums. I have the straight 6-ply shells. But Ludwig doesn’t make a distinction one way or another. Maybe someone with a 3-ply drum can try it and report in (like Bermuda 😉).

Back