Improving speed

I saw this morning on the "speed grip" which I've tried before too-without tape though. It works for sure but I wouldn't call it a speed grip. I guess I should have copyrighted it ROFL!
YgKuFbAj1dmgYhULiamXuGyDQFg0wnc 1631622981150.png

Having been doing this for maybe a month, I'm already confident that Bill Bachman's www.drumworkout.com program is exactly what you're looking for.

I'm going to go against the grain here. I would advise to go past the speed that you can do it perfectly, and make some mistakes.

I've been reading a lot about how learning occurs in the brain, particularly physical skills learning. The best approach would be to make mistakes, lots of them, but still getting it right a few times. Those few times trigger some chemicals that signal to your brain that he has to take care of it during your sleep.

That, and focusing on one thing, and even deeper, on one aspect of that thing, makes learning possible.
Do you have any sources for this? This goes against all the published and accepted literature on brain and skill development.

Everything we "know" about the brain, backed up by many studies, states that actions are learned by slow, correct repetition, specifically without mistakes. Speed is the result of this process. The brain learn, records, and programs the correct action, and upon completion can perform it at any speed (restricted in reality by physical limitations). The whole point is the avoidance of mistakes.

There are some very good, peer-reviewed articles about this which I am desperately trying to find, but their conclusions are all as I have stated.

Until I'm able to locate the specific articles online, anybody interested could read Michael Griffin's "Learning Strategies for Musical Success", especially the chapter on How to Practise. It deals specifically with deliberate practice and slow repetition, with the avoidance of mistakes at all cost.

You'll find this article interesting Mighty Joker-besides a timely topic it's has references that you can follow your interests-which you'll find more references (it will go back decades-so you'll see how ideas have changed over time). PubMed is open to anyone-you can find lots of free publications (or buy if you really, really want to read it)-still abstracts are free and they tell what you want to know without details in a lot of cases. When you search on Pubmed post key words in strings-not a question or sentence. I started my Phd in Neuro before shifting into more developmental/cardiovascular/cell signalling stuff. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8319366/

You'll find this article interesting Mighty Joker-besides a timely topic it's has references that you can follow your interests-which you'll find more references (it will go back decades-so you'll see how ideas have changed over time). PubMed is open to anyone-you can find lots of free publications (or buy if you really, really want to read it)-still abstracts are free and they tell what you want to know without details in a lot of cases. When you search on Pubmed post key words in strings-not a question or sentence. I started my Phd in Neuro before shifting into more developmental/cardiovascular/cell signalling stuff. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8319366/

Awesome, thank you for sharing!

I’m pretty sure those are Tootles marbles. maybe it’s a parasitic infection so ivermectin might help? I’m trying figure is that tape or rubber bands on his fingers.

I’m trying figure is that tape or rubber bands on his fingers.
Rubber bands would make sense. It doesnt look like he is doing anything to get the bounce other than bending his wrist down. If a rubber band is stretched across his two fingers, and the stick placed between the rubberband and his palm, the rubberband pushing against the stick would create the double stroke as it tries to push the stick back against his palm.

Seems a bit like cheating to me.

Rubber bands would make sense. It doesnt look like he is doing anything to get the bounce other than bending his wrist down. If a rubber band is stretched across his two fingers, and the stick placed between the rubberband and his palm, the rubberband pushing against the stick would create the double stroke as it tries to push the stick back against his palm.

Yep I was thinking the same thing. That's images.jpeg

I will be the grumpy old man and just say that it is cheating...it is a way to try to do something without doing the work to get there. That seems to be a running thread in a lot our culture recently

sort of like e - bikes in the mountain biking world <-- a "sh**storm" topic in that world for sure

e - bikes
e-bike, e-scooter, the one wheel. None of them are acceptable as anything other than transit. It is not exercise. It is not work. If it does not require you to move it, it is a vehicle and should be treated accordingly.

But you know you're gonna sit down behind your kit and try it out, just because.
Another use for those hair ties!

e-bike, e-scooter, the one wheel. None of them are acceptable as anything other than transit. It is not exercise. It is not work. If it does not require you to move it, it is a vehicle and should be treated accordingly.

I agree...but over on the mtb forums, you would be torn apart for saying that...

But you know you're gonna sit down behind your kit and try it out, just because.
Another use for those hair ties!
I did try it on the pad. It feels weird. It makes the stick one with the fingers. If I hold my hand out flat, it makes the stick point skyward. If I then make a fist, the stick becomes horizontal. I'm not sure if there are any benefits to this as I stopped after about 30 seconds. Too many years of the normal way to really care about trying to change it now.

Perhaps if I lost my thumbs in some sort of freak table saw accident...

I agree...but over on the mtb forums, you would be torn apart for saying that...
Until I ride by them on a real bike with a small emp generator and leave them stranded.
If you need an e-mtb, just get a damn dirtbike and be done with it.

Until I ride by them on a real bike with a small emp generator and leave them stranded.
If you need an e-mtb, just get a damn dirtbike and be done with it.

that is what I say....

for paved trail/rec rising? sure. But e bikes on the mtn trails is like flag football

BTW... here is a trick that i wish i had known many years ago.. i used to practice rudiments for hours at a time on 1 rudiment.. at some point i switched to doing like 1 pattern for 10 mins.. then other things.. come back to that first pattern 20 mins later and it's like it solidified more in my brain and was MUCH easier.. do that a few times and it's locked in. This worked so much better than just hammering away on 1 thing for long periods.
That’s great advice, always worth revisiting any challenge.
I was just sitting here practicing rudiments on my muted piccolo snare starting with some simple 16th stuff beginning slowly and building speed for warm ups.
Peanut butter.

All right hand:
PnPnPnPnPnPnPnPnPNbrPNbrPNbrPNbrPNBRrrrPNBrrrPNBrrrPNBrrrPNBRpnbrPNBRpnbrPNBRpnbrPNBRpnbr;
repeat all left hand.repeat repeatedly.

Then moved on to flams and paradiddles, again starting slowly with steady increases in speed up until the point of incompetence. Tonight I wanted a particular challenge and decided to throw in flamadiddles for fun. Brings back fond memories of marching corps. But I’m not very fast anymore lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 3
Back