If you can only have one Snare drum….

I'm still sold on my 6.5 brass Black Beauty.
Decades of use and it never, ever lets me down.

I'm debating this right now. I was gonna get a Tama SLP Bold Spotted Gum because... it's the best snare I've ever tried and I managed to reserve the only one left in the area. But then I saw some good deals on B Stock Black Beauties and I don't really care that they are B Stock. Only a 100$ more than the Tama... except I've never had the chance to play one in real life (though I did own a Supraphonic and that was quite awesome)

I'm debating this right now. I was gonna get a Tama SLP Bold Spotted Gum because... it's the best snare I've ever tried and I managed to reserve the only one left in the area. But then I saw some good deals on B Stock Black Beauties and I don't really care that they are B Stock. Only a 100$ more than the Tama... except I've never had the chance to play one in real life (though I did own a Supraphonic and that was quite awesome)
Let the peanut gallery know which one you end up with :unsure: 👍

Let the peanut gallery know which one you end up with :unsure: 👍

I keep going back and forth!

But I'm thinking I'll go with the Tama, because SLPs are often limited runs and these are getting sold out everywhere with no resupply in sight (Tama is saying 2 years wait...). While there are lots of Black Beauties out there and I'm sure I can find another one when the time comes.

But I'm thinking I'll go with the Tama, because SLPs are often limited runs and these are getting sold out everywhere with no resupply in sight (Tama is saying 2 years wait...). While there are lots of Black Beauties out there and I'm sure I can find another one when the time comes.
Carpe Diem mon ami!

I can relate to going back and forth...

The B stock drums are just cosmetic "flaws", so the quality and sound is still all there.
I have a B stock "brass edition" (chrome over brass) and the issue was plating on the inside in two spots.... I'll take it for several hundred dollars less!

If you dig that Tama, probably get it, if they are limited run snares. You can always pick up a BB. They aren't going anywhere.

Have fun deciding haha!

5.5x14 10-lug Legend maple snare (sold about 15 years ago) and my current 6x14 Ahead brass both gave/give me more than enough of all the traits you'd expect each to provide, and neither left me wanting for something else. I sold the Legend because my Pacific CX maple snare that came with the kit sounds just as good, after upgrading the top rim- I get compliments on that drum to this day, as well as the Ahead. I imagine a Ludwig BB or Supra, or some certain vintage Ludwig maple/poplar/maple, or Gretsch, or Slingy Radio King snare may make me reconsider. One drum that I never owned but played on a rehearsal kit was a 6.5x14 Pork Pie Big Black model that sounded as Bonham-y sweet as any Supra I've ever played or heard in person (so, like, 5 or 6 😁 ).

Last edited:

Attachments

• Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze behind dusty Slingerlands.png
    Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze behind dusty Slingerlands.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Some lovely drums on this thread! My favourite snare baby is my Guru segmented Ash with Ovangkol (spelling?) centre band. 8 lug 14" x 7". Huge voice, very sensitive, great with brushes too. Love it. I've used 16 , 20 and 30 strand wires. It's got 30s on at the moment. Wouldn't have more.

It's gorgeous when wide open but I have a Guru leather wallet style damper for gigs - most sound engineers insist on it with this drum. So I have to confess (sorry Andy!) for hassle free sound checks and a consistently / quickly achievable good sound I gig mostly with my mk 1 Pearl Dennis Chambers signature maple 14 x 6.5 (S Hooped).

Attachments

• 20180612_141435.jpg
    20180612_141435.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 4
It's the Tiki 14x6.5 Maple Steambent I got from the snare building weekend, thanks wifey!

Tough choice as all my snares are workhorses and earn their keep

If I had to pick one of my 6 SS snares...

I'd pick my segmented Padauk.

Great midrange similar to Rosewood

WOW. This thread is epic. I'm pretty satisfied, for the time being, with my meager Yamaha Stage Custom snare drum, but I'm dreaming of an RCI "Coke Bottle Green" acrylic snare with the Welch tuning system setup.

If I could only use one it would be the Taye StudioMaple snare that came with my kit. I ordered a different snare when I originally ordered the shell pack assuming the stock snare wouldn't be that good. I was wrong. That stock StudioMaple snare is a fantastic drum for a great price.
Here's one on Reverb right now.

Hey that’s a great 10 lug well built drum for such a low price

14x8 Ludwig Black Beauty hands down best snare ever made. Don’t own one I got close getting a black magic but the sound of the beauty is beautiful!

If I had to play only one snare drum I would play bass instead.........

Well maybe not really but still........

If I had to play only one snare drum I would play bass instead.........

Well maybe not really but still........
I understand that you don’t want to be limited to only one snare.
The original question rephrased: What is your favorite snare drum?
It does sound like a very simple thing, yet it could be quite complicated if you play several different genres of music.
But it’s just a question for fun, participation is optional :)

Back