If you can only have one Snare drum….

River19

If I had to play only one snare drum I would play bass instead.........

Well maybe not really but still........

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
If I had to play only one snare drum I would play bass instead.........

Well maybe not really but still........
I understand that you don’t want to be limited to only one snare.
The original question rephrased: What is your favorite snare drum?
It does sound like a very simple thing, yet it could be quite complicated if you play several different genres of music.
But it’s just a question for fun, participation is optional :)

River19

I understand that you don’t want to be limited to only one snare.
The original question rephrased: What is your favorite snare drum?
It does sound like a very simple thing, yet it could be quite complicated if you play several different genres of music.
But it’s just a question for fun, participation is optional :)

I was just having a little fun with my original response because I am a bit of a snare whore......

If I really had to choose one, which would mean dropping my side snare as well.....I would go with my 14x6.5" Cherry Ply snare that I built up from a Keller shell with die cast hoops. It fits many styles and has the exact sound I had in my head when I planned the project.

Cherry 1.jpg

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
I was just having a little fun with my original response because I am a bit of a snare whore......

If I really had to choose one, which would mean dropping my side snare as well.....I would go with my 14x6.5" Cherry Ply snare that I built up from a Keller shell with die cast hoops. It fits many styles and has the exact sound I had in my head when I planned the project.

View attachment 109808
Me too! (y):) That's a fabulous snare drum! 😋

And don't drop the side snare, this was all about naming 'The One' and you've done it now so all is right with the universe and you can still prostitute yourself if you want 🤣.

fwb30

Ooofff this is a hard one... my main snare is a Pearl Limited Edition 14x6.5" Kapur Snare and i love it, but... i've always loved the sound of the (now discontinued) Pearl Steve Ferrone Signature snare. And the first Sonor Benny Greb 13x5.75" Signature snare (without the internal sheep) has also been high on my wish list. I also really like the sound of a steel shell. My first kit was a Pearl Export and came with a steel shell. That sound is somewhat hardwired into my brain hehe. Played a Ludwig 14x5" Supralite once and that sound was sooooo nice... maybe i should get a DW Edge snare some day. Best of both worlds :)

EDIT: omg... just check the price of a DW Edge and... nope xD
I heard a guy in a blues band play that Ferrone snare the other night. Hands down one of the best sounding snares I've ever heard!

Reactions: iCe

JimmyM

Silver Member
Never really thought about this because I've only owned one snare in my life...a 50's Ludwig Standard 6 1/2 x 14. And if I never got another snare again, I'd be totally happy with mine. Would like a nice Black Beauty one day, but if not, I figure I'm already way ahead of the game.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Of the ones I own I would probably pick my Gretsch 4160 COB.

Any snare in the world? Probably a N&C solid maple shell. But I've heard just a small fraction of the snares out there so who knows.