If it wasn't for Drummerworld...

I wouldn't have learnt that serving the music is so much more important than showing off. I wouldn't have understood the importance of heads and tuning either. Those among many other things.

It's a fun place to hang but it's serious as well. There are people here ready in a moment's notice to help you with your craft be it equiptment choices or technique issues and everything in between. It's literally a step towards a free education. I have alot of fun swimming in the pool here but many times situations are over my head and that's when I sit back to listen and learn.

DrummerWorld allows me to talk drums whenever I want. Because of this, I've gotten to meet all of you fantastic folks. The depth of personality and experience on board is astounding. One can find info about ANYTHING here if you just look around. And like many others, my long lost sibling exists here too.

DW has made me a better drummer. I like finding fun things to learn in the Technique section. The fact that teachers actively participate on the site makes learning even better.

I have found so much good music because of DW. This is a gift in itself.

And because of DW, other drummers can laugh at this:
View attachment 107227
hahaha i need this in a t-shirt!!!!!

Just stumbled over this thread and read my name all over the place - i'm humbled. Thank you so much.

In reality my contributions are not so big. Of course i started the forum many many years ago - but with the help
of Gruntersdad, Bermuda, Andy and new Supergrobi my workload is minimal.

I'm in my seventies and health is not the best - will never be. But i'm absolutely fine - better than ever - but i had to stop
traveling around the world already 10 years ago and now also stopped drumming. Please no condolences: i had my time - really lol!!

So i concentrate foremost on the website Drummerworld, but also there it's not the same as twenty years ago.
The times then every picture i had to scan (steal) from old Magazines and every pic of Steve Gadd or Buddy Rich was a
sensation. Uploading Videos was also spectacular because: Youtube didn't exist - Google did not exist - Wikipedia did not exist.

Also the forums seem to go down everywhere - but this doesn't count for Drummerworld - no miracle with such nice and friendly contributors.

But anyway: Drummerworld is still No. 1 and ads i reduced to the minimum.

So i hope we can continue some good years and i thank Uncle Larry who started the thread for always beeing so helpful and Agrippina - managing my Wikipedia site - and of course all of you friends, drummers and posters.

I love you all

Bernhard

Just stumbled over this thread and read my name all over the place - i'm humbled. Thank you so much.

In reality my contributions are not so big. Of course i started the forum many many years ago - but with the help

I'm in my seventies and health is not the best - will never be. But i'm absolutely fine - better than ever - but i had to stop
traveling around the world already 10 years ago and now also stopped drumming. Please no condolences: i had my time - really lol!!

So i concentrate foremost on the website Drummerworld, but also there it's not the same as twenty years ago.
The times then every picture i had to scan (steal) from old Magazines and every pic of Steve Gadd or Buddy Rich was a
sensation. Uploading Videos was also spectacular because: Youtube didn't exist - Google did not exist - Wikipedia did not exist.

Also the forums seem to go down everywhere - but this doesn't count for Drummerworld - no miracle with such nice and friendly contributors.

So i hope we can continue some good years and i thank Uncle Larry who started the thread for always beeing so helpful and Agrippina - managing my Wikipedia site - and of course all of you friends, drummers and posters.

I love you all

Bernhard
We love you, too! All the best to you, always!

Yes, Wales. The castles all have spiral staircases it seemed and I got dizzy by the time I got to the top. The stone walls were so incredibly thick, like 8 feet. What a Herculean effort that must have been to construct. Skinny little windows for the archers. Absolutely life changing. We are so soft compared to the people back then. I instantly fell in love with the whole package.

I loved your Country. The history, wow, holy crap. After I came back to the States...I was really disgusted with my own Country. For like 2 weeks, for real. Your Country was that much better for me. Everything is so cheap here, the houses, everything. Fake brick, fake stone, fake pillars...A lot of houses are identical to their neighbors, a lot of them look the same. Not in England. I saw not 1 house that looked the same as another while I was there. That alone right there is a big deal to me.

Every structure was made of masonry as far as I could tell. Maybe not the thatched roof house. Probably mandated after the Great Fire of London in 1666 I'm guessing. The supermarkets are SO superior to what we have here. Much more refrigerated (read real) food. I really dug it over there. The castles absolutely knocked me out. I Imagine they are no big deal to you guys ha ha. I saw where Hereford beef comes from. The gypsies took me by surprise. No one told me about them. Just incredible. No way could the things I saw over there happen here. You can't just pull over on a public road and stay for a few days haha. That will get me arrested here. Wales was a real treat too. One thing I learned there...don't try and pronounce the Welsh words using the Yankee way to sound out syllables lol.

I felt the same way coming back from Ireland too...so much that is not fake

but it is interesting b/c someone who lives there probably can call out all kinds of things "wrong", but they can't be as wrong, or false as things are here. @nicholasBR and I talk about that in lessons sometimes

It's a fun place to hang but it's serious as well. There are people here ready in a moment's notice to help you with your craft be it equiptment choices or technique issues and everything in between. It's literally a step towards a free education. I have alot of fun swimming in the pool here but many times situations are over my head and that's when I sit back to listen and learn.

I think if more people would admit to this in daily life, things wouldn't be so bad

Ps. There are large parts of the UK that are stupendously grotty - architecturally and socially - but let's accentuate the positive today

I love you all

Bernhard
For he's a jolly good fellow! 👏👏👏

I felt the same way coming back from Ireland too...so much that is not fake

but it is interesting b/c someone who lives there probably can call out all kinds of things "wrong", but they can't be as wrong, or false as things are here. @nicholasBR and I talk about that in lessons sometimes
I've always been fascinated by outsiders views. The 'reaction' music videos feed off that fascination, so it's not just me.

Yep. A collapse in that principle in education has produced the wave of madness we are experiencing in the world today.
Hope it IS just a wave, too...

dude...the FIRST thing I tell my students when they come to middle school band is the importance of not talking...not saying "I Got It"...not jumping to the end. I am one of the only teachers in my buildings who still demands that old school idea of not being allowed to do what you want all the time, and every time. I was a 6th grade aid this year at one of my schools bb/c we couldn't' have band due to COVID, snd holy freaking crap....the classrooms are like freaking bee hives!!! No wonder kids are not learning anything. The whole time is spent on "crisis management" and not really educating

I always tell then that band is going to be a lot different from their other classes b/c there needs to be a lot of "Shut Up and Listen". I tell them that is the best way to avoid making mistakes...Shut Up and Listen first. Be group aware, not self aware at first. See how you fit in. What your role is.

My dad told me at an early age to Shut Up and Listen, and it saved my a$$ many, many times. It prevented a lot of wasted time and negativity. I tell my kids the same thing, but don't usually say a$$

I've always been fascinated by outsiders views. The 'reaction' music videos feed off that fascination, so it's not just me.

same here. when talking to @nicholasBR about his outsiders view of America, it does sort of change some of my "grumpy old man" views of our country. I think I am just more sick of the Mainstream Ignorant American, who blunders through life kicking everything over, burning everything, sh*tting on everything we have here. People who don't respect the space, the land, the history (meaning the pre-1492 history), and the security that they have to be able to be so disrespectfull...

things like what is going on in Afghanistan, or Syria, or Ethiopia...any of the parts of the world where basic life necessities are scarce make me really hate the people here who worry about whether they have wi fi, or the morning latte, or how many people that they don't even know like their picture of what they had for dinner

and I am sure that in every country, there is that selfish, disrespectful demographic too....none of us live in a bubble

I don't remember dropping the F bomb (but not exactly unknown for me), just politely (but possibly firmly) refusing to do something because of the enquirer's status.
When I was at the Guru stand in Manchester with you Andy, I saw Jojo a few meters away. I went to him and introduced myself (we had met already but he didn't recognize me) and I gave him a copy of my book. Never heard of him since ;-)

Back