IEM's help! Ultimate Ears UE 11 Pro, JH 11 Pro and 64 Audio A4t

Rhytamics

In need of some advice for choosing in ear monitors brands for use playing drums in mostly country rock. Currently looking at Ultimate Ears UE 11 Pro, JH 11 Pro and 64 Audio A4t (all basic about $999). Be great to hear if anyone has any experience with any of these brands and models. Thanks!

I have the cheapest UE5's from Ultimate Ear's.

But here is my theory behind in-ear monitors: they are primarily for monitoring. When I'm in a band situation, I'm only concerned about hearing the click, the track, and whether or not I'm in tune when I'm singing with the band. Why I would need anything more expensive than the $399 UE's is beyond me. Bermuda here has some pretty pricey ones, and I'm sure there's some kind of aural difference between two drivers and more than six drivers, but when I look at what I need to hear, the UE4/5's are fine.

Advice: if you get regular ones (no vent), you essentially can't hear anything that isn't coming to you through the in-ears. So be prepared to ask the band to all go through the mixer. If you get the vented ones, you might be able to hear other things around you that aren't going through the system, but then to me, what's the point of getting in-ears? You could get that with a wedge floor monitors.

Ended stepping up a bit and ordered a pair of JH Audio 16v2 Pro - hoping for the best!

Attachments

• JHAudio JH16v2pro.jpg
    JHAudio JH16v2pro.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 3
I have the cheapest UE5's from Ultimate Ear's.

But here is my theory behind in-ear monitors: they are primarily for monitoring. When I'm in a band situation, I'm only concerned about hearing the click, the track, and whether or not I'm in tune when I'm singing with the band. Why I would need anything more expensive than the $399 UE's is beyond me. Bermuda here has some pretty pricey ones, and I'm sure there's some kind of aural difference between two drivers and more than six drivers, but when I look at what I need to hear, the UE4/5's are fine.

Advice: if you get regular ones (no vent), you essentially can't hear anything that isn't coming to you through the in-ears. So be prepared to ask the band to all go through the mixer. If you get the vented ones, you might be able to hear other things around you that aren't going through the system, but then to me, what's the point of getting in-ears? You could get that with a wedge floor monitors.
I have the UE5's as well and think they sound amazing compared to most other things I have tried. They have a very clean, accurate sound, isolate great and provide some nice tight low end and clean highs.

I can only imagine the 11's are much more accurate. I know the super high end ones can be used for mixing and have more drivers etc, but I am in the same boat. I know the 11's would be good though.

To be totally honest I'd have no problem slapping in my 5's and listening to music on my phone for hours.

Been using UE7 Pros with vent for over 10 years.

If you get the vented ones, you might be able to hear other things around you that aren't going through the system, but then to me, what's the point of getting in-ears? You could get that with a wedge floor monitors.

Because you can hear a bit of what's around you, plus click and anything else, and keep the volume MUCH lower, and have the mix much cleaner, than you will with floor wedges.

Also, you can use the plastic inserts to completely seal off the ambient vent, if you find it's not working for you. If you're going to drop $1000 for IEM's, at least have some options!

Ended stepping up a bit and ordered a pair of JH Audio 16v2 Pro - hoping for the best!

If they have a vent option, go for it. Worse case scenario you block it off and not use it. I really like the vent. If I were to buy new IEM's, I'd definitely get the vent option.

Seeing as Jerry Harvey (JH Audio) invented IEMs and founded Ultimate Ears (then sold the business) - Id go with JH Audio. I have JH16s and wouldnt change a thing.

F

Back