I'd like your recommendations for an upgrade

Tob

I'm currently trying to sell my entry level PDP kit as I'm looking for a nice upgrade. I'd like to see your recommendations for 5 or 6 piece shell packs with a 2-up, 2-down configuration. My budget for the shell pack is up to $1000. I don't need something for recording or studio use, but I would like to have something for regular practice that is worthy of playing live music. I am also looking hard at a dialtune snare. What are your thoughts on those?

SomeBadDrummer

I'm currently trying to sell my entry level PDP kit as I'm looking for a nice upgrade. I'd like to see your recommendations for 5 or 6 piece shell packs with a 2-up, 2-down configuration. My budget for the shell pack is up to $1000. I don't need something for recording or studio use, but I would like to have something for regular practice that is worthy of playing live music. I am also looking hard at a dialtune snare. What are your thoughts on those?
🍿It’ll be interesting to see. I imagine that you will get the traditional responses from the “die hard” brand hos like me. I’ve played many brands at some time or another, but must interject that the shells may not be as important as the supporting hardware.

If the 12” tom won’t stay put during a performance then it needs a better mount.
With $1000 you should have plenty of choices.

Tob

🍿It’ll be interesting to see. I imagine that you will get the traditional responses from the “die hard” brand hos like me. I’ve played many brands at some time or another, but must interject that the shells may not be as important as the supporting hardware.

If the 12” tom won’t stay put during a performance then it needs a better mount.
Yeah, I’m trying not to develop into a brand fanboy and stay open minded.
Do you definitely want to buy new? You will get a lot more bang for your buck if you buy used.
I am not opposed to buying used at all. In fact, I tried to buy a PDP X7 off reverb but the seller was inactive and I got refunded. However, I’ve been watching reverb and FB marketplace (🤢) for decent kits from local sellers, but both are pretty dry. If I do buy used, it has to be what I want, and the chances of that popping up I feel are low.
Why not stick with PDP and upgrade to a nice Concept Maple kit?
I’ve been looking at everything from DW performance to pdp concept. I’ve played concept maple before a lot and they are nice, but I don’t think they have a 2 up 2 down kit

Tob

By the way, which brand are you ‘ho-ing’ for?

Experience with a variety of brands is something I am missing. It seems like DW tends to garner the most prestige from drummers from what I’ve seen, but as I said, I don’t want to become a brand ho.

If Hurricane Laura hadn’t RKO’d my local music store, I’d be in there testing out the display kits.

wildbill

Platinum Member
You'll usually be better off buying used, but that configuration isn't as common as a 4 or 5 pc. set.

Here's a 2up/2 down on sale for $649.99, normally $999:
That would be my pick if you're buying new and don't hate blue.
North American maple w/45 degree bearing edges and Remo heads

Here's a few more 2u/2d, but some are pretty pricey:
The PDP is right at your $1,000 limit.

Edit: took a quick look and GC has the PDP on sale for $769.99:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tob

bud7h4

Silver Member
I’ve been looking at everything from DW performance to pdp concept. I’ve played concept maple before a lot and they are nice, but I don’t think they have a 2 up 2 down kit

The Concept Maple I bought new was 2 up 2 down - 10, 12, 14, 16, 22x18

Tama Superstar Classic 7pc is about $950.

wildbill

Platinum Member
The Concept Maple I bought new was 2 up 2 down - 10, 12, 14, 16, 22x18

Tama Superstar Classic 7pc is about $950.

Forgot about the Tama, but if the OP wants to get one, he can order it from one place I saw that still has it at $950.
Everyone else is up to $1,050 now. :sick:

bud7h4

Silver Member
Forgot about the Tama, but if the OP wants to get one, he can order it from one place I saw that still has it at $950.
Everyone else is up to $1,050 now. :sick:
Sweetwater is where I saw them for 950.

harryconway

Platinum Member

SomeBadDrummer

Attachments

• 656F204D-FA49-41DA-8A7E-7DB05974D7C0.jpeg
    656F204D-FA49-41DA-8A7E-7DB05974D7C0.jpeg
    608.7 KB · Views: 2

Super Phil

I am definitely a 'die hard brand ho' so here is my recommendation...😄

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'd go with something different than PDP. You already know PDP. You said yourself: Experience with other brands is what you're missing. I think that's wise. Maybe try something completely different, like Ludwig or Gretsch.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I’d save a little more then upgrade the shell pack. Just my opinion, but I don’t think anything new in the $1k range will be a significant “upgrade” from what you have now.

I agree with this, but it depends how "entry level" his current kit is. My first kit was a Yamaha Gigmaker, so a Concept Maple was a significant upgrade.

SomeBadDrummer

I'd go with something different than PDP. You already know PDP. You said yourself: Experience with other brands is what you're missing. I think that's wise. Maybe try something completely different, like Ludwig or Gretsch.
Or Slingerland or Pork Pie or DW or whatever else strikes your fancy. It comes down to whatever floats your boat metaphorically speaking.

Tob

I agree with this, but it depends how "entry level" his current kit is. My first kit was a Yamaha Gigmaker, so a Concept Maple was a significant upgrade.
Oh, a concept maple would be a significant upgrade. My kit is a pdp centerstage

Tob

What do you guys think about the Dialtune snare? Worth it? Good match for a concept maple kit?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
What do you guys think about the Dialtune snare? Worth it? Good match for a concept maple kit?
They are new. You probably wont get the answers you seek on this.

My personal take is it's a $1000 gimmick. Cable tuning heads has been around for a while. It still hasn't caught on. For $1000, you can buy multiple snares in different materials that will inevitably sound just as good as the Dialtune if tuned properly.