I took Bob Gatzens' advice

If i remember correctly one of the functions of the sonic hammer was to get the beater over to the head without causing you to have very flat foot boards.
On Axis pedals it's like towing a trailer with an F1 car.
The Axis beater holder is also a little more offset towards the head to hit closer to 90 degrees. . ..allegedly....
I had an Axis pedal years ago and then they solved the beater hitting at 90 degrees issue by making the head angular, so from top to bottom of the beater head the whole thing strikes the head.

BTW - now that I know what to do to mitigate any more warping to the hoop (short of replacing it), I may keep the DW9000 and try it again. Both the pedal and the 9000 hi hat are living in my closet while the Yamaha stuff gets the love for this week.

I had an Axis pedal years ago and then they solved the beater hitting at 90 degrees issue by making the head angular, so from top to bottom of the beater head the whole thing strikes the head.
Won't a spherical beater solve the problem?

Won't a spherical beater solve the problem?

I suppose. But it’s just that little point of the ball that is striking the head. So I guess you’d get the same sound regardless of beater or head angle. But I’m thinking the more material hitting the head is what creates a “fatness”. There was a time when someone made cube beaters, and getting full contact with that sounded fatter than only the top corner, or a point on a sphere.

I suppose. But it’s just that little point of the ball that is striking the head. So I guess you’d get the same sound regardless of beater or head angle. But I’m thinking the more material hitting the head is what creates a “fatness”. There was a time when someone made cube beaters, and getting full contact with that sounded fatter than only the top corner, or a point on a sphere.
I posit the beater material has more affect than the shape. A large, felt mallet will sound fuller than a small round plastic beater.

And Latham’s bass drum sounds great in that video. We know it was eq’d and prolly compressed, but it still sounds very good.

Edit: and what was Tama going for with those pointy felt beaters?

Back