I think I want heavier round beaters, but do I?

JimmyM

Gold Member
There's a lot of video's out there, that might help get you on your way. Bonzoleum breaks it down. Def. a heel up kinda guy. And, he admits ..... it's work.

I enjoyed that video. And after an evening of experiments with the different pedals, all I’ve figured out is that I do GTBT equally below average on all. I can do it on the double but don’t want to be married to it. I also need more experience with other beaters before I drop money, but I could do worse than sticking with the PDPs. Unfortunately, I hate the sound of tight bass heads so I guess I better work that out as well, because I do it better on a tighter head.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I enjoyed that video. And after an evening of experiments with the different pedals, all I’ve figured out is that I do GTBT equally below average on all. I can do it on the double but don’t want to be married to it. I also need more experience with other beaters before I drop money, but I could do worse than sticking with the PDPs. Unfortunately, I hate the sound of tight bass heads so I guess I better work that out as well, because I do it better on a tighter head.
Dig in and start ripping. One of the things I like to most ..... is he's using an old Yamaha FP700 bass drum pedal. Nothing state of the art. Nothing costing $500+:ROFLMAO: Heck, probably get one of those for $20 - $30.;)

JimmyM

Gold Member
Dig in and start ripping. One of the things I like to most ..... is he's using an old Yamaha FP700 bass drum pedal. Nothing state of the art. Nothing costing $500+:ROFLMAO: Heck, probably get one of those for $20 - $30.;)
I'm pretty well pedaled-up for life between the 5000's and my old Power Glide, but I've played something similar to that Yammy pedal as well as Ludwig and Pearl cheapos, and I'm blown away at how good even bottom-of-the-line pedals are nowadays.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Since you mentioned that about a week ago, it’s been in the back of my mind. And now that the last point of obsession of my set are the beaters, I’m seriously thinking about that.
Yeah...I often forget what I wrote & tend to repeat myself. :confused:

JimmyM

Gold Member
I have a small collection of beaters. It's like having a selection of different sticks. It's not like they will go bad or something
Yeah, but they can also get expensive when you get up into the pricier lines than PDP.

Rock Salad

True. Let me see if I have a heavy felt beater to begin your collection with.
I've been messing with my fur ball bomber lately

JimmyM

Gold Member
True. Let me see if I have a heavy felt beater to begin your collection with.
I've been messing with my fur ball bomber lately
A Bomber is definitely on the agenda for me as well, but I'm trying to get my main gear straightened out. Please don't knock yourself trying to find it, but I darn sure would be grateful. I can't fit this stupid felt Premier beater in the 5000 hole. Too big.

wraub

Gold Member
I've been using the DW reversible beter in my Yamaha pedal but I keep wondering about the classic felt beater and the drum sounds of older recordings. I want one.

JimmyM

Gold Member
I've been using the DW reversible beter in my Yamaha pedal but I keep wondering about the classic felt beater and the drum sounds of older recordings. I want one.
I don't think you'll notice a tremendous sonic difference between the round felt beaters and the felt side of the reversibles. I don't really hear one. But I do like the way it feels in the Premier.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Beaters are cheap. Why not get what you think you'll like and try it? TBH, the bass drum sound is made up alot of factors, and not just the beater. So if you're looking for the right sound, that's one thing, but if you want a lighter feel, it might not just be the beater. There was a guy who was looking for a lighter feel due to an injured knee, and all his recommendations were basically the same type of pedal he already had. I suggested getting an Axis or a Trick, or even the Pearl Demon, if you were looking for a lighter feel. DW pedals are heavier, and Yamaha's are a little lighter, but the Axis and Tricks are among the lightest I've ever played. The Axis A was one of my favorites.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Yeah, but they can also get expensive when you get up into the pricier lines than PDP.
Unless you get 'em given to you;) Time to hit up some drummers you know ..... see if they got any spares they can loan/give you to try out.

JimmyM

Gold Member
Beaters are cheap. Why not get what you think you'll like and try it? TBH, the bass drum sound is made up alot of factors, and not just the beater. So if you're looking for the right sound, that's one thing, but if you want a lighter feel, it might not just be the beater. There was a guy who was looking for a lighter feel due to an injured knee, and all his recommendations were basically the same type of pedal he already had. I suggested getting an Axis or a Trick, or even the Pearl Demon, if you were looking for a lighter feel. DW pedals are heavier, and Yamaha's are a little lighter, but the Axis and Tricks are among the lightest I've ever played. The Axis A was one of my favorites.
They’re cheap if you get the right ones the first time.

Unless you get 'em given to you;) Time to hit up some drummers you know ..... see if they got any spares they can loan/give you to try out.
And they’re really cheap if you do that ;) I may have to do that.

JimmyM

Gold Member
So yesterday I threw that Premier 252 back on, and noticed that it strikes the head parallel. I still can't get used to the pedal, but I think I may actually like the parallel part.

JimmyM

Gold Member
Narrowing the field....I definitely don't want a heavy beater. Tried one last night on a 9000...did not like it. I did, however, like that even though it wasn't quite parallel with the head, the beater didn't go too far over straight up. I don't know if it actually would help me from working harder than I need, but it would be nice if I could get it closer, and I don't see any way of doing it in the 5000. I thought these things were infinitely adjustable down to the last everything :/

C. Dave Run

Silver Member
would be nice if I could get it closer, and I don't see any way of doing it in the 5000
This is the beater/footboard adjustment:
20220512_165655.jpg
Move the top spring mount towards the + to get closer to the head, towards the - to get farther away from the head.

Ignore the red arrow at the bottom. I have no idea what that's about.

JimmyM

Gold Member
This is the beater/footboard adjustment:
View attachment 119155
Move the top spring mount towards the + to get closer to the head, towards the - to get farther away from the head.

Ignore the red arrow at the bottom. I have no idea what that's about.
Well once I get done staring at my newly completed set, I'll look and see if my ancient 5000 has that adjustment. Thx for the tipoff, C. Dave!