I never see a lot said about the 7-ply Ludwig Classic Maple snare drums. Why?

When I was in high school/college (early 80s) I used to haul my double bass Ludwig around in my Toyota Tercel (photo below is the same model, but not my car). 2 doors, NOT a hatchback. Both bass drums (14x20) were in the back seat, with the rack toms between. Floor tom and snare in the front passenger seat. Hardware and cymbals in the trunk. (Yes, I killed it at Tetris!)

1998001_1980_Corolla_Tercel_sedan_bw-1-1000x600.jpg

Per the previous road-rage exchanges, I drive a lifted 4x4 truck with oversized tires. Compact sedans cower in my path. Sometimes I just roll right over them.
I'm like the only one here without a lifted 4x4. I have a Hyundai Tiburon. Its tiny. I love parking next to big giant trucks. Looks like I drive a toy car. But y'all scare the crap outta me on the highway.

Maple is a great wood for snare drums. We tend to speak about the sound difference more between a Solid Snare vs. Multiple plies. So the 7-ply Ludwig is sort of just another drum. Ludwig metal Snare drums however, have always been their "MAGIC". I have played Ludwigs maple shell snares and although they are nice, they are not my first choice. That goes to my Hammered Brass Supra.

I'm a big fan on the Ludwig Classic Maple drum line. I have a set, and they are some of the best drums I've ever heard.

With that said, there are so many threads about a wide variety of snare drums, and I appreciate them all! However, I don't think I've ever seen that many threads (or even much of a mention) of Ludwig Classic Maple snare drums, in particular the 7 ply. Why is that? Are there "better" snares out there at the same price point? Do people just not have them? I don't know. I've listened to them online, and they sound pretty good to me. Maybe that's the issue...at that price point, maybe there are more-than-pretty-good snares to be had for the same price. Like I said, I just don't know.

I'm curious as to what you have to say about these snares.

Ludwig makes fantastic drums and here in the USA!!!!!

I'm like the only one here without a lifted 4x4. I have a Hyundai Tiburon. Its tiny. I love parking next to big giant trucks. Looks like I drive a toy car. But y'all scare the crap outta me on the highway.

My wife drives a Fiat subcompact, which can pretty much be parked in a shopping-cart stall. It gets about fifty miles to the gallon. It's a great vehicle, but I've always been a truck guy. I like elevated suspension and the ability to haul.

Toyota used to make decent looking vehicles. Those days are gone.

Now that we are totally de-railed into cartalk haha - What do you think about the SUVs?

I was actually looking at buying a sequoia haha.

Now that we are totally de-railed into cartalk haha - What do you think about the SUVs?

My mom has a 4Runner and has been very pleased with it. I don't think there's any doubt that Toyota makes quality stuff. I'd expect anything Toyota produces to hold up for many, many years.

The preceding points notwithstanding, I don't like Toyota trucks very much. The Tundra is too awkward and bulky, and the Tacoma now looks like an SUV with an open bed. Neither fits my vision of a "pickup truck."

The preceding points notwithstanding, I don't like Toyota trucks very much. The Tundra is too awkward and bulky, and the Tacoma now looks like an SUV with an open bed. Neither fits my vision of a "pickup truck."
That's funny. My version of pickup truck is actually in line with your earlier post, and is a Toyota. I eventually need a truck to haul lumber, so LWB is my only requirement. But for a truck I actually want, this is the only way to go. 1983 Toyota 4x4 with a lift and giant mudders. It looks like a mini monster truck. I've wanted one since 1983 when my dads friend bought one brand new and did this to it. It was so cool.

0d06e20d4f93da5881388c2ae6e83373.jpg

Toyota makes really great vehicles, in every class. Super reliable and well engineered. You can't go wrong. I just wish they would hire some decent designers. But then again, they know how to make money. Planned obsolescence is part of their plan.

That's funny. My version of pickup truck is actually in line with your earlier post, and is a Toyota. I eventually need a truck to haul lumber, so LWB is my only requirement. But for a truck I actually want, this is the only way to go. 1983 Toyota 4x4 with a lift and giant mudders. It looks like a mini monster truck. I've wanted one since 1983 when my dads friend bought one brand new and did this to it. It was so cool.

View attachment 94894

The old Toyotas were great. The new ones just don't do it for me.

I really miss the golden age of the two-door, single-cab pickup. Trucks used to be practical and quite affordable, as they were designed for work rather than comfort. They've degenerated into overpriced luxury machines. A sales guy tried to lure me into a $60,000 pickup when I bought my current truck. When I mentioned the astonishing sticker price, he replied, "Well, they're built today to accommodate the whole family." I returned, "For that kind of money, this truck should come with a family." He feigned amusement but was clearly annoyed.

Last edited:
I really miss the golden age of the two-door, single-cab pickup. Trucks used to be practical and quite affordable, as they were designed for work rather than comfort.

I don't know if they still make them like this, but I needed a truck to move/remodel and I found a 2003 standard cab, long bed, Silverado 1500 with 103k miles on it last year that is about as stripped down as I've ever seen a "modern" pickup. It's got a split bench (cloth, of course), rubber flooring, manual windows/locks, am/fm radio, and it's handy as hell to have around. I only drive it when I need it, so I don't mind it's lacking of amenities and I especially don't mind banging it up when I do. That's what a truck is for.
IMG_4236.jpg

If you have to move a kit, you may as well be comfortable. Especially when doing triple digits. View attachment 94878Behold the 15 year old drum hauler.

That's nice!
I'm a sucker for a black BMW 5 series, but I like 'em a little older..........and with 3 pedals and RWD. :devilish:
The driver:
IMG_6661 s.jpg

The toy:
BMW 540i.jpg

I don't know if they still make them like this, but I needed a truck to move/remodel and I found a 2003 standard cab, long bed, Silverado 1500 with 103k miles on it last year that is about as stripped down as I've ever seen a "modern" pickup. It's got a split bench (cloth, of course), rubber flooring, manual windows/locks, am/fm radio, and it's handy as hell to have around. I only drive it when I need it, so I don't mind it's lacking of amenities and I especially don't mind banging it up when I do. That's what a truck is for.
View attachment 94925

That's nice!
I'm a sucker for a black BMW 5 series, but I like 'em a little older..........and with 3 pedals and RWD. :devilish:
The driver:
View attachment 94926

The toy:
View attachment 94927
Beautiful !! I like the E39s. My wife had an '03 525i sport pkg. Looked fast but was dawg slow. LOL. The E60s have the better motors. I need the AWD living here in da 'Burgh. I had a '05 330i (E46/RWD) for 7 years. Just sold it in the spring w/ 149K mi on it. One of the best cars I've ever owned.

My first pickup ever, back in my teens, was a Silverado. Very solid machine.

Back