I never see a lot said about the 7-ply Ludwig Classic Maple snare drums. Why?

C.M. Jones

These are my exact thoughts. Believe me, I love the idea of owning a Black Beauty or Supra, but I don’t think I’d ever take them out of the house. I just like the sound, warmth, and the controlled overtones of maple. Taking a metal-based snare on my small gigs would make me feel like I’m going deer hunting with a bazooka. Would it work? Oh yeah. Would there be any survivors? Not likely.

Confession: Ok this is a silly one, but I have to admit it. When I was cutting my teeth on my old Rockstar drum set, back in those days, all the cheap drum sets came with a metal snare drum. I remember it being sort of a big deal (to me anyways) when lower/midline drum sets starting coming with a matching wood snare. I promise I’m not trying to compare an early 90’s Tama Rockstar snare to a Supra or BB, but I have to admit, there’s still a little something in me that keeps me from dropping a respectable amount of money on a metal snare drum. I’ve never spent quality time with a good metal snare drum, so I know I may change my tune one day.
If you have a proclivity for wood snares, as I always have, there's no reason to depart from that status. Wood will suit your needs in every application. A common misconception among drummers is that they "require" one wood snare and one metal snare for variety. I've never found that imperative to have grounds in reality. No musical arrangement in which I've participated has necessitated that I make use of a metal snare. Wood can do everything metal can. As with so many aspects of drumming, shell selection is a matter of taste.

Justinhub2003

These are my exact thoughts. Believe me, I love the idea of owning a Black Beauty or Supra, but I don’t think I’d ever take them out of the house. I just like the sound, warmth, and the controlled overtones of maple. Taking a metal-based snare on my small gigs would make me feel like I’m going deer hunting with a bazooka. Would it work? Oh yeah. Would there be any survivors? Not likely.

Confession: Ok this is a silly one, but I have to admit it. When I was cutting my teeth on my old Rockstar drum set, back in those days, all the cheap drum sets came with a metal snare drum. I remember it being sort of a big deal (to me anyways) when lower/midline drum sets starting coming with a matching wood snare. I promise I’m not trying to compare an early 90’s Tama Rockstar snare to a Supra or BB, but I have to admit, there’s still a little something in me that keeps me from dropping a respectable amount of money on a metal snare drum. I’ve never spent quality time with a good metal snare drum, so I know I may change my tune one day.

Man I have the exact opposite experience. My first two real new kits (pearl export when I was 17, Tama OG hyperdrive when I was 22) both came with wood snares. And same for the PDP conceit maple kit I got a few years ago.

I never owned a metal snare In my up and coming years. Now that I can afford them, I went Ape sh*t on the high end Ludwig metal snares.

That said I have a matching Ludwig Classic Oak snare on the way. Will be a nice addition to my maple snare

cornelius

Silver Member

That's interesting - I could see how having an entry level metal snare could discourage someone to get another metal drum. My first kit was a Slingerland - great drums but the snare was the Festival Model, which was pretty terrible. I played it through high school, then when I got to college bought a Ludwig 402. There wasn't nearly the variety of drums back then, so I had no problem sticking with a metal snare - the 402's are great drums...

Since then I mostly play steel drums (Ludwig, Keplinger or Dunnett), but today I brought out my DW Jazz Series snare (which I haven't played in a few years) and remembered just how nice wood snares sound! I think that's why I like the Keplinger - that heavy drum sounds more like a wood drum than other metal snares that I've played. Now the I think of it, I had Gregg Keplinger install Ludwig bowtie lugs on it - so it looks like a Ludwig drum :) Anyway, those Ludwig Classic Maples look and sound like nice drums.

mikyok

Platinum Member

I'd argue a cheap metal snare can sound infinitely better than a cheap wood snare. Less things to affect the fundamental. I'm generalising here, don't get me wrong I've heard great/bad snares at every price point!

If you're used to the sound of maple stay there, I love my maple snare with round over edges and it gets some real nice compliments. My first 'proper' snare was a 402 which I still own and gig. I think peple just get accustomed to the sound of metal snares and stay there.

notvinnie

if you owned a Carolla - you'd probably love that car and all the well appointed features at a moderate price
Show me someone who loves a Corolla and I'll show you someone who loves the color Taupe, only eats vanilla ice cream, wears beige khakis exclusively, loves Neil Sedaka, has never traveled outside of the U.S., and subscribes to Readers Digest and TV Guide.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Show me someone who loves a Corolla and I'll show you someone who loves the color Taupe, only eats vanilla ice cream, wears beige khakis exclusively, loves Neil Sedaka, has never traveled outside of the U.S., and subscribes to Readers Digest and TV Guide.
Guess you arent familiar with the highly sought after, almost cult status AE86 Corolla. The folks who love them are definitely NOT vanilla eating, boring people.

20200807_123216.jpg

If you can find one in Panda they act even crazier.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
This is hate speech.

:LOL::cool::LOL::cool::ROFLMAO:

My Toyota Matrix (the AWD version of the Corolla) goes better in the snow than my Chevy Z71 4x4 did. It doesn't have the clearance, but it's a great car in bad weather. Oh, and if I flip the seats down, I can get my whole PA in it AND my drumset and still have room for a passenger.

NouveauCliche

Oh you mean every practical person or CPA that has ever existed? Haha - there's a lot of those people running around.

I will say this - and it's more to my point - if someone gave ME a well equipped 2020 carolla I bet I wouldn't complain about it :) Which is kind of the same feeling I have towards a lot of maple snares haha.

notvinnie

Toyota should be ashamed of themselves. They haven't released a decent looking vehicle since the early 80s. Nobody makes uglier vehicles, although Honda isn't much better. I'm not talking about reliability, just design, and aesthetics. Toyota and Lexus = ugly as sin.

notvinnie

My Toyota Matrix (the AWD version of the Corolla) goes better in the snow than my Chevy Z71 4x4 did. It doesn't have the clearance, but it's a great car in bad weather. Oh, and if I flip the seats down, I can get my whole PA in it AND my drumset and still have room for a passenger.
I used to get my whole set into my Porsche 911, and when I sold that, I got a Cayman and got my whole kit into that too. Now I've got a VW Golf GTI and my whole kit as well as my keyboardist's stuff can fit, and she can sit in the passenger seat too.

NouveauCliche

Toyota should be ashamed of themselves. They haven't released a decent looking vehicle since the early 80s. Nobody makes uglier vehicles, although Honda isn't much better. I'm not talking about reliability, just design, and aesthetics. Toyota and Lexus = ugly as sin.
I mean.....agree to disagree?

Attachments

C.M. Jones

Man, the gear wars are now engendering auto strife. Soon, we'll be bickering over dishwashers and mattresses.

Per the previous road-rage exchanges, I drive a lifted 4x4 truck with oversized tires. Compact sedans cower in my path. Sometimes I just roll right over them.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I had a CM for a bit.

I wanted a Ringo-sound drum, but couldn't find an old Jazz Festival in my price range. My options were the 8 lug CM, and I kept an eye out for a Pioneer student drum as well. Ended up finding a used 8-lug CM for a good price first. Got it, put stock Ludwig heads and wires on it. Decent snare. Unfortunately, it had no Ringo. Sold it within a month.

NouveauCliche

Man, the gear wars are now engendering auto strife. Soon, we'll be bickering over dishwashers and mattresses.

Per the previous road-rage exchanges, I drive a lifted 4x4 truck with oversized tires. Compact sedans cower in my path. Sometimes I just roll right over them.
I drive an Outback :) - thought I used to have a Titan with a big ol' exhaust and all that fun stuff.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I used to get my whole set into my Porsche 911, and when I sold that, I got a Cayman and got my whole kit into that too. Now I've got a VW Golf GTI and my whole kit as well as my keyboardist's stuff can fit, and she can sit in the passenger seat too.
A friend of mine gets his PA system and guitars in the back of his 300z, and even though I’ve helped him load a few times, I still don’t see it works. Crazy.

Al Strange

Other than the fact I drive a Toyota Avensis, you’ve described me perfectly...if you get the TV guide, you don’t need to watch tv...:ROFLMAO:(y)1596890444815.jpeg

Darth Vater

If you have to move a kit, you may as well be comfortable. Especially when doing triple digits. DW pic.jpgBehold the 15 year old drum hauler.

Last edited:

NouveauCliche

A friend of mine gets his PA system and guitars in the back of his 300z, and even though I’ve helped him load a few times, I still don’t see it works. Crazy.
Our bass player plays an upright and he fits it inside this little fourdoor buick car - total miracle everytime I see it haha.