I need that thick, deep, Nashville country music snare drum! What do I get?

Even though I'm more of a Gretsch guy than Ludwig - for Country , I'd say Ludwig Legacy Mahogany 13/16/22 with a 6.5" Hammered Black Beauty. Mahogany for that sub-low deep, thumpy , punchy kind of sound.
They have a jaw-dropping low end punch that other musicians instantly love (and hopefully you too). I have had many singers tell me how much they dislike a high pitched cracking snare that makes them blink. The Legacy Mahogany shells don't tune up high and they aren't even as loud as more modern drums,, so they aren't all that versatile, but great for roots/folk/country. IMHO.

How you tune it, of course, is up to you. Not cheap as the above drum sold for 700.

Pete

edit - never played Country Music

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather just make a decision and live with it.
With snare drums & cymbals, this is my M.O.

In this regard, I‘m also thankful for Reverb.com too.

In the photo world, there are shops such as lensrentals.com and lensauthority.com where I can try out gear, and it’s saved me $$ many times.

I nominate @GruntersDad to start up a snare drum rental shop!

It's always amusing to me to watch our distinguished members overthink things. I'd rather just make a decision and live with it. One thing I learned in the business world is that not every decision you make works out. Sometimes it's best just to cut your losses and move on.

Bottom line is: For God's sake just pick something and get on with it! There's only like a million good snares out there. :rolleyes:

I'd love to if I had the opportunity to go play a variety of decent snares somewhere and make a decision based on that. I live in the sticks of NC, and I'm an hour from the closest Guitar Center, and all they have is lower-line gear and nothing decent to try out. I watch YouTube videos as well, but as we know, those can be very deceiving with color from mics, effects, eq, etc. I like to talk to folks here because so many have real-world experiences with the drums I'm considering. There are just 4-5 drummers in my entire county, and if I ever try to resell something locally, well I'm out of luck if none of 4-5 guys don't want it. Therefore, I have to over-think what I'm getting because when I buy something, I better be happy enough with it to keep it forever. I'm not trying to bust your chops or anything; I'm just trying to explain where I am.

Last edited:
I'd love to if I had the opportunity to go play a variety of decent snares somewhere and make a decision based on that. I live in the sticks of NC, and I'm an hour from the closest Guitar Center, and all they have is lower-line gear and nothing decent to try out. I watch YouTube videos as well, but as we know, those can be very deceiving with color from mics, effects, eq, etc. I like to talk to folks here because so many have real-world experiences with the drums I'm considering. There are just 4-5 drummers in my entire county, and if I ever try to resell something locally, well I'm out of luck of those 4-5 guys don't want it. Therefore, I have to over-think what I'm getting because when I buy something, I better be happy enough with it to keep it forever. I'm not trying to bust your chops or anything; I'm just trying to explain where I am.
Do a search on YouTube for -gretsch snare drum the one-. Mike Johnston and Mike Miley comment on the Broadcaster and Miley takes it home. Actually several artist go around the room with a slew of snares. I'm not saying go Gretsch, but in those videos, there's no close mics and each snare played says what it is and the material, depth, number of plies, etc. It'll give you a pretty good idea of what you may want to look for and narrow down your choices a bit more.

I'd love to if I had the opportunity to go play a variety of decent snares somewhere and make a decision based on that. I live in the sticks of NC, and I'm an hour from the closest Guitar Center, and all they have is lower-line gear and nothing decent to try out. I watch YouTube videos as well, but as we know, those can be very deceiving with color from mics, effects, eq, etc. I like to talk to folks here because so many have real-world experiences with the drums I'm considering. There are just 4-5 drummers in my entire county, and if I ever try to resell something locally, well I'm out of luck of those 4-5 guys don't want it. Therefore, I have to over-think what I'm getting because when I buy something, I better be happy enough with it to keep it forever. I'm not trying to bust your chops or anything; I'm just trying to explain where I am.

Fair point. I guess I take for granted living in close proximity to a city. That said, I'm trying to think of what gear I own that I didn't buy sight unseen having only gone by what I've read about and witnessed via 'net video. You can definitely get some good advice on here but that's not always the case. One man's trash can be another man's treasure. Good luck in your search and don't forget to post pics. ;)

Fair point. I guess I take for granted living in close proximity to a city. That said, I'm trying to think of what gear I own that I didn't buy sight unseen having only gone by what I've read about and witnessed via 'net video. You can definitely get some good advice on here but that's not always the case. One man's trash can be another man's treasure. Good luck in your search and don't forget to post pics. ;)

Thank you! I'll definitely post pics.

While on the subject, if anyone knows what snare drum the drummer from Old Dominion uses (I think he's a Yamaha artist but that doesn't mean anything) that thing is awesome. In any of their popular songs, I consider that a very nice country snare.. and it sounds like he might use that snare a whole bunch cuz when I hear their songs I immediately know it's him.

I'd love to if I had the opportunity to go play a variety of decent snares somewhere and make a decision based on that. I live in the sticks of NC, and I'm an hour from the closest Guitar Center...
I feel your pain. Whenever I travel I visit drum shops (or music shops with drums but it's never the same).

While on the subject, if anyone knows what snare drum the drummer from Old Dominion uses (I think he's a Yamaha artist but that doesn't mean anything) that thing is awesome. In any of their popular songs, I consider that a very nice country snare.. and it sounds like he might use that snare a whole bunch cuz when I hear their songs I immediately know it's him.
I'd like to know too. He has a great sounding drum kit.

Back