I knew it was gonna be a bad gig when...

That’s why I keep a pair of sticks in the car at all times. And all my essential hardware, too. All I need to remember to pack is drums, throne, and cymbals.

it is funny b/c our guit player in that band now keeps my extra pedal in his truck. So between me and him, 3 pedals go to the gigs now at all times

You know it's gonna be a bad gig when you play country music, live in the South, get booked at a venue in the South, and you walk in and absolutely NO ONE in the place has a Southern accent.

Why is this bad? Because your band members will not seen as people. You are seen as nothing more than "the help," and you will get treated as such. Every freakin' time.
The best revenge is good living. Find 1 or 2 of the women who are receptive and be very friendly.

I love southern accents. :giggle:

I spent a week in Roanoke, Virgina several years ago and visited a local hospital where my buddy's mom worked. I melted when those pretty nurses opened their mouths and began to speak.

It's one thing to hear an accent on TV or in a movie and an entirely different thing to hear it in person.

You know a gig is bad when no one knows where to put you.

You know a gig is bad when you play in some Dresdan Doll style arty piano indie rock band and the place is a Vegas-style night club that doesn't have bands play normally.

They both were the same gig in my case.

You know it's going to be a lousy gig when the stage is so small, you have to set up out the door onto a deck. This really happened. I was outside all night in 40 degree weather, while the band was inside. I could barely hear anyone, and couldn't see anyone. We only played there once, thank goodness. The building eventually became someone's wood shop business, and now appears to be empty.

Last edited:
A middle aged fan hired the band to play her husband's 50th birthday party and took out a $3000 personal loan to finance the party. He was a NJ State Trooper with no sense of humor, and he was pissed that his wife took a loan, so he hung a puss the whole time. She rented a swanky room in a country club, invited a lot of guests who were dressed to the teeth, and blah blah. We played the first set. Of course, it was too loud for people, even though we were as quiet as we could be. Nobody danced, in fact, most people sat there with their arms folded the whole time. At the end of the night, she practically threw the check at me with a sour look on her face, like all this was the band's fault. What a nightmare. She was a total nimrod.

We never saw her again. A blessing.

Last edited:
From my experience, playing a benefit means no one gets paid. All money raised goes to whatever cause the event is supporting.
We have brought 5 to 7 hundreds peuple AND made 18.000$ In donation after our fees So, we through, as we did all the work to organize the event that we could make a bit out of it.

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when, back in the 80's, I got called to play in the band for the 'Miss Chinatown Dallas' beauty pageant.
At a stop light a block from the venue, Biff the bassist turned to me and said, “We can turn around now if we want.“ We both knew Detective McMahon would be backstage with more questions about Katy Wong‘s disappearance.

Back