I knew it was gonna be a bad gig when...

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
A week or so ago, I knew it was gonna be a bad gig whenever my country band walked into the venue, and the sound guy said he was in a metal band. So many gates. So much compression. ON EVERYTHING.

Many years ago, I knew it was gonna be a bad gig whenever the organizer who booked us said, "The size of the crowd you'll have totally depends on the amount of people you brought with you."

In the not too distant past, I knew it was gonna be a bad gig whenever I found out we were opening for a watermelon eating contest.

How about you?

I new it was gonna be a bad gig when, many many years ago, a contemporary country band I was in showed up to a "venue" that hosted a bar on one side and a Bait & Tackle shop on the other. No walls or dividers, the owner just literally decided to start selling beer (cans and bottles only).

Every time I played a compilation show or benefit I knew it was gonna be a bad show.

I'll explain. They were all local events. So that means a bunch of blues/funk/dance bands, and 1 death metal band.

Here is the rub. We had a giant local following so were always asked to participate. This meant a good crowd and money for the cause. Being the odd man out, we always played last. The other bands had small groups of fans that weren't into our music, and our fans weren't into their music. So it was a big weird thing each time.

Every time I played a compilation show or benefit I knew it was gonna be a bad show.

I'll explain. They were all local events. So that means a bunch of blues/funk/dance bands, and 1 death metal band.

Here is the rub. We had a giant local following so were always asked to participate. This meant a good crowd and money for the cause. Being the odd man out, we always played last. The other bands had small groups of fans that weren't into our music, and our fans weren't into their music. So it was a big weird thing each time.
I can only laugh at this scenario as I imagine it.

Thank you "Sammy Swank and the Midtown Funk-n-ators", next up please welcome to the stage "Satan's Thorax!!!!"

What's worse than the bands they get to play benefits? That would be the sound techs and their gear. They are doing it for free, and man, it always sounds like it.

Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Back to the original programming.

Ok, you guys have me going back through memory lane and digging through my feels now.......

You know it's gonna be a bad gig when you grudgingly take a gig for $300 (5 people), and the venue knows the size of the band and the music. When you arrive they point to "the stage" and it's a small danky corner meant for one solo acoustic act, then mentions you can't move the surrounding tables out of the way to make room to fit the band.

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

Please, stop bad-mouthing Benefit.

😁

I knew it when they told me the name of the town the gig is located.

I knew it when I saw they double booked.

I knew it when I saw the weather forecast and it was an outdoor gig.

I knew it when they told me the gig was at a neighborhood yard sale.
My buddies and I were only 13 or so and after being regularly asked to play softly and non offensive, we decided it was a good time to play the overture to 2112. Cops came and we got fired.

Back