I hate to ask, but what's my kit worth?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Seems like prices are sort of all over the place whenever it comes to placing value, so I'd thought I'd ask you for a ballpark figure. I have a Pork Pie USA kit built in 1998. Sizes are as follows:

10 x 8
12 x 9
14 x 12
16 x 14
22 x 18 kick
13 x 5 matching snare (with sequential serial numbers with the rest of the kit)
Finish is a turquoise sparkle wrap.

These are the Keller shells.

Even though I have legs on the floor toms now, I still have the suspension rings for every drum.

Condition is a 9 out of 10.

It seems like the kits I've seen selling that were from the 1990's are going for more than a used kit that's more recent.

I've also emailed Bill Detamore to see what he says.

98205624_3434610863233917_6862342898365497344_n.jpg

172025587_4394554643906196_8404530500898289134_n.jpg

TK-421

Those are gorgeous! And I’m glad you installed floor tom legs over those wonky RIMS things, which I’ve always hated on FTs.

Considering they’re USA made with Keller shells, and they’re in such good shape, that should definitely help with resale value. But Pork Pie was never a huge name in drums, and their more recent overseas offerings definitely fell in quality, hurting the brand name somewhat. So that might work against you.

All in all, I would think $2000-2200 on a good day, but could be as low as $1000-1200. Probably somewhere in between.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The smarta$$ answer, and probably most truthful is, “it’s worth what somebody decides to pay for it”. As much as I like Pork Pies, they’re not quite a huge name just yet because they aren’t on a majority of hit records like the Big Four were. A good way to find out is to put them on an eBay auction and see where it ends up at (then end the auction before it officially ends). In meantime, do an internet sales blitz so enough people see your drums as they’re combing the used gear sites. The more people know, you’ll meet that one guy who’s really looking for what you have.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I'm clueless about what they're worth, but if they don't sell,
I'd trade them towards another Ludwig kit,
or to build up a shell bank for your current one. :p

You might be happier selling them though. ;)

Darth Vater

Hard to say. Do you need them to sell quickly? That plays a part in it as well as what you hope to get for them. One thing I've always kept in mind is that there's only so many people that are hip to some of the more esoteric brands. If you could link a video review with any ads you place that would really help. Also, it wouldn't hurt to make a comparison to another well known brand/range in order to bring the kit's qualities into focus for potential buyers.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
The smarta$$ answer, and probably most truthful is, “it’s worth what somebody decides to pay for it”.

This is what Bill Detamore said in his email to me.

I'm clueless about what they're worth, but if they don't sell,
I'd trade them towards another Ludwig kit,
or to build up a shell bank for your current one. :p

You might be happier selling them though. ;)

I'd thought about doing some trading if the right thing came along.

Hard to say. Do you need them to sell quickly? That plays a part in it as well as what you hope to get for them. One thing I've always kept in mind is that there's only so many people that are hip to some of the more esoteric brands. If you could link a video review with any ads you place that would really help. Also, it wouldn't hurt to make a comparison to another well known brand/range in order to bring the kit's qualities into focus for potential buyers.

No, I don't need to sell them. However, I've accumulated quite a bit in the past year, so I'm starting to purge. I'm selling all kinds of gear right now (drums, cymbals, live sound, etc.), but I'm going to do my best not to ship. Maybe a good video would help if I'm super serious about it.

SomeBadDrummer

This is what Bill Detamore said in his email to me.

I'd thought about doing some trading if the right thing came along.

No, I don't need to sell them. However, I've accumulated quite a bit in the past year, so I'm starting to purge. I'm selling all kinds of gear right now (drums, cymbals, live sound, etc.), but I'm going to do my best not to ship. Maybe a good video would help if I'm super serious about it.
I only use Reverb to sell gear, mostly because it eliminates the ebay bs and is marketed towards musicians not gutter feeders. It could take some time, but I'd suggest posting the kit with good photos like you have already, with detailed description of the entire kit to get the most from it. Good luck!

Love the drum room and fireplace by the way!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I only use Reverb to sell gear, mostly because it eliminates the ebay bs and is marketed towards musicians not gutter feeders. It could take some time, but I'd suggest posting the kit with good photos like you have already, with detailed description of the entire kit to get the most from it. Good luck!

Love the drum room and fireplace by the way!

Thank you!

Bozozoid

I remember being over the top impressed when I read a review of Pork pie drums in Modern Drummer. The 6 piece kit had a finish called everything sparkle that was innnncredible. The reviewer was blown away by the 6x13 snaredrum. I myself LOVE the name Pork pie and the lugs are like something you'd buy in a jewelry store. My gretsch renown kit is thee exact same color and friends are flipped about it. Every time I see individual drums on eBay they go for big bucks. Bill Detamore is a drum making superstar.

RickP

Gold Member
Boutique brands like Pork Pue are notorious for not retaining value . The drums are excellent drums no doubt but the average drummer may not be familiar with them . I have been in the same situation when trying to sell a N&C kit . I was fortunate in that I was able to make a trade for something else that interested me that was of equal value .

If you do not urgently need the cash , my suggestion would be to try and do a swap for something else you like .

Personally , I think you might be looking at getting only $1000 to $1200 for your kit on the open market .

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I agree on Pork Pie drums, while high quality, isn't exactly a household name. The finish, while nice, is not for everyone.

And with a glut of high-quality drums available (new and used), I'd be surprised if you got more than $1000 for them.

One could argue, that due to their quality, they're worth more, but finding a buyer willing to pay it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

boomstick

Silver Member
I think those would sell instantly at $1K. Someone would have to really want those sizes and finish for $2K. I'd guess somewhere in between.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Agree with others about Pork Pie as brand. However, PP don't come up for sale as often as major brands. That's a positive. And finish is a desirable finish. It's not wacky it's a nice green sparkle, and green drums sell quickly. The toms are a great size. It includes a snare. All positives. Negative is the large kick drum - not as many potential buyers want a 22x18. That limits the market. That's a negative. Then there is shipping another $300 maybe?

I'd try it at $1,800 shipped, or $1,500 local. Test the waters. If no sales then lower price to $1,500 shipped/ $1,200 local and sell snare separate for $300 shipped or $250 local.