I guess I just don't like...

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
I have never met anyone who actually tried cocaine and didn't like it. 😁 There's a first time for everything, I suppose.

On the drumming side, it would probably be electronic drums for me. I own a set but I can't stand the things. I turn down gigs if they're being used on the backline.
Pleased to meet you

It made me painfully introverted

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I got my first ever brass snare just a few years ago. It's a Gretsch 14x5 COB G4160. It's my favorite snare and I use it most of the time. I have absolutely zero experience with any other brass snares so I don't know if I would like any others. Never played a BB. So I don't know if the Gretsch sounds different or typical of brass. Anyone know?

Stroman

Platinum Member
I got my first ever brass snare just a few years ago. It's a Gretsch 14x5 COB G4160. It's my favorite snare and I use it most of the time. I have absolutely zero experience with any other brass snares so I don't know if I would like any others. Never played a BB. So I don't know if the Gretsch sounds different or typical of brass. Anyone know?
That is one I've never tried! I wonder if it sounds more like the Slingerland? I'm sure thickness, snare beds, edges, and hoops all come into play.

ToneT

Silver Member
...brass snare drums. Well, not most of them, anyway.

I have a Pork Pie Big Black, which is universally loved as a poor man's Black Beauty. And I can get to sound entirely usable. In fact, I have used it quite a lot. However, I have never loved it like I thought I would.

So, I have been listening to as many brass snares lately as I can, and I find it just isn't my favorite. I guess I prefer aluminum for a metal snare, but mostly I like wood.

Anyone else experience something like this, where you find you just don't enjoy what most other people seem to really like?
I've recently just had a major change in taste as far as snare drum metals are concerned.
After overdosing on Brass these past few years (NOB, Bell Brass) I've fallen in love with my Aluminum snares once again.
It's a sweet, crisp yet ballsy sounding drum.
Ludwig 6.5x14 10'lug Acrolite Reissue
DW Thiick Aluminum 6.5x14
DW Thin Aluminum 6.5x14 (2)
As for the magic powder, tried it once, felt wired and weird, and very stale the next day.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
crashing on rides.. never have. So I buy rides to ride on, and crashes to crash on, and if I need a crash right off of a ride pattern that crash is sitting right next to the ride

I also don't like the crash sound of 99% of the "crash/ride" type cymbals that are out there

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stuffing my bass drum full of pillows, coats, cotton, small woodland creatures....

just gove me a Powerstroke 3 clear and a Ambassador reso with a port and I am good

NouveauCliche

I have never met anyone who actually tried cocaine and didn't like it. 😁 There's a first time for everything, I suppose.

On the drumming side, it would probably be electronic drums for me. I own a set but I can't stand the things. I turn down gigs if they're being used on the backline.

That's a damn real comment.

Also - I love a good brass snare - especially a cracking brass piccolo - shallow with some heavy die-cast hoops. *chef's kiss*

cbphoto

Diamond Member
you just don't enjoy what most other people seem to really like?
Brushes. Unless I played them like Ed Thigpen.

The sound of a steel snare doesn’t stoke my fire, but it’s been a while since I played one.

jda

Gold Member
" I could probably do without a lot of chrome-
--gunmetal gretsch broadkaster user

Chrome was nice on the '53 Buick grille tho.

Last edited:

Quai34

...brass snare drums. Well, not most of them, anyway.

I have a Pork Pie Big Black, which is universally loved as a poor man's Black Beauty. And I can get to sound entirely usable. In fact, I have used it quite a lot. However, I have never loved it like I thought I would.

So, I have been listening to as many brass snares lately as I can, and I find it just isn't my favorite. I guess I prefer aluminum for a metal snare, but mostly I like wood.

Anyone else experience something like this, where you find you just don't enjoy what most other people seem to really like?
All the time, people are crazy about Black Beauty and Supraphonic and I prefer my Dunnet 2N Alu compared to the Supra and I have no BB, I miss the whoo factor that I have with woods, that's why I think I have 10 wood snares and 2 metal only.

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
Oh man what’s not to love about Coke- it’s the real thing. ROFL no it’s it’s like an itch you can never satisfy- you may come close but you’ll be in respiratory or cardiac arrest. I think I prefer aluminum for metal but I like wood- lots of it . Wood is the real thing- bioengineered material from life. You just can’t beat it. Well yes you can- see awesomeness galore.
"Oh man what’s not to love about Coke": to be honest, mr Grippa, looking at your nice avatar there - I'd have guessed you were more of a crystal meth connoisseur. No offence 😁

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
If there is a glutton for punishment poster child it's me. I've had 4 brass snaredrums and couldn't get on with any of them. Why did I bring them home?. What frame of mind was I in bringing #4 home thinking ya..this is the one. To this day! I'll go by some black beauties at Guitar Center and tap one thinking that maybe number 64 will be the one! Only to realize that (for me) brass may be thee worst metal ever used for snaredrums.

Stroman

Platinum Member
If there is a glutton for punishment poster child it's me. I've had 4 brass snaredrums and couldn't get on with any of them. Why did I bring them home?. What frame of mind was I in bringing #4 home thinking ya..this is the one. To this day! I'll go by some black beauties at Guitar Center and tap one thinking that maybe number 64 will be the one! Only to realize that (for me) brass may be thee worst metal ever used for snaredrums.
I'm glad it's not just me!