I got some drums... - edit: Yamaha Power V Special

wraub

Gold Member
...but, not that old Tama set I was talking about (not yet, anyway). What I did get is a Yamaha Power V Special set...well, most of one, anyway. :)

It has a 22" bass, and 10, 12, and 13 inch toms. The bass and the 13" are labeled MIJ (even though the insides are unpainted), the 10 and 12 are made in England. All are black, and have new-ish Evans heads.
But, there's no floor tom, you say?

I also got a black 16x14" MIJ Yamaha Beech Custom floor tom, with new-ish Evans heads, a YESS mount and a stand to hold it (imo this is a lovely drum). This of course means that I now have a virgin 16" bass drum :D ...or a floor tom, or I could use the 13" as a floor tom with the 10 and 12. The stand works with all those, too, even though they have the non-YESS mounts.

The wrap on the bass drum is kinda boogered in a couple of spots, but all hardware is there and the shell looks beautiful. I bought it knowing the wrap was an issue, thinking it could be a future project, or could leave it for now because it's black and it's hard to see.

Are they "outdated"? To some, yes. Do they sound good? To me, they do. :)

This was all relatively inexpensive to me, and, outdated or not, likely the only way for me to afford the quality of Yamaha drums, at least for now.

Let me get better first, maybe then I'll deserve them. ;)

Pics asap.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new kit. Don't worry about the wrap. You can always replace it. The same goes for the "outdated" concern. Drums don't have a shelf life. If they sound good to you, you're all set.

yep...you shouldn't be looking at them,,,you should be whacking them

I do always appreciate your posts...Thanks. :)

Congrats on the new kit. Don't worry about the wrap. You can always replace it. The same goes for the "outdated" concern. Drums don't have a shelf life. If they sound good to you, you're all set.

I currently have the 10 and 12 on my 20" bass, and the 13 on the stand nest to it.
Together they are the closest to "the drum sound" in my head, so, I have that going for me, which is nice. :)

Apparently all the drums use high tension lugs and the Air Seal system, which are supposed to be good things. ;)
They sound really good, and good together, imo.

I could definitely get used to this. :)

Plus, if do want to make the 16 into a bass drum, I already have a home made cradle that fits it perfectly. :D

Power V Specials come up on eBay quite often. Keep an eye out, and you could probably land a "matching" floor tom for not too much money ..... then you'd have a complete set. Not that there's anything wrong with playing a mis-matched kit.

A Beech Custom floor tom ..... now that's in a whole separate class. Build a kit up around that ..... would be killer.

I do. :)
They are not great, but, I do-
20200526-215501b.jpg

20200526-215618b.jpg

20200526-214128b.jpg

20200525-164711b.jpg

20200525-164755.jpg

Notes- The marks in the mounted floor tom head are stick marks, not divots; the bass drum is still awaiting a thorough cleaning and is currently quarantined in the garage; the Beech Custom floor tom is on a DIY cradle I had on hand that fits it perfectly; and, yes, I am going to re-orient the head on the 10 to "fix" the logo placement. :D

The main reason I wanted this kit, or a new kit, was the fact that the drums I had didn't match, sonically, imo. They didn't sound good together. I could have spent money chasing heads and possibilities, but... The fact that they didn't visually match was just the semi-bitter frosting.

These drums sound good together, and individually, imo. The tones are complementary and work well as a group, both with each other and the non-Yamaha bass drum. They are far better made than any other drums I could find in my price range, and even have a semi-interesting back story, what with the Yamaha/Premier pairing. The mounts are solid and movement free, and I even like the mounted floor tom, because I am odd. ;)
Plus, not the kit you'd see at every other GC. I got exactly what I wanted.

They will definitely be with me for as long as I'm learning, knowing the gear isn't my problem. But, a new practice pad, first. :D

also...
The Beech Custom floor tom... is a glorious thing. :) The seams, the edges, the precision... it's lovely. I think it could make an interesting mini-bass drum with different heads, or I might look for a 20" Black Yamaha bass drum to trade for/towards. Maybe even the apparently elusive Power V Special 20"... a worthy goal.

Thanks for reading. :)

Got some pics?

Update- I put the Beech Custom tom on the kit, and I have achieved sonic bliss. If anything, it's almost too resonant.

Very pleased.

That seems to be the case... imo the MIJ and MIE drums look equally well made, and all the drums work well together. The 10" seems perhaps a little choked, I'm still adjusting the heads to see what it could be.
I also tried varying the position of the drum on the mount, but the quality of tone changed for the worse.

The UK stuff will likely have been made by Premier during the time Yamaha owned that Brand/Company.

Update, further- I actually removed the toms and properly cleaned and tuned them. I re-watched some videos re: tuning toms, and, as usual, the common sense approach came from Rob Brown.
I followed his suggestions, and the toms are singing now. :D The 10" is like a totally different drum.

....back to playing now.

The 10" seems perhaps a little choked, I'm still adjusting the heads to see what it could be.
I also tried varying the position of the drum on the mount, but the quality of tone changed for the worse.

So, in an effort to not make the perfect the enemy of the good (and avoid spending money) I decided to finally give the bass drum involved a try.
It's a 22x16, and... it's good. It's very good. I still prefer a 20", but this is a really good sounding bass drum imo, especially considering that it needs new heads, or, at least, a new batter head. It's got a really good, deep thunk to it, but it can ring with a little tuning.

I've also been compiling info on these drums, which is somewhat difficult to find. I can post that if there's any interest.
Apparently, they are generally well liked, but with "old-school" sizes and conflicting brand info, long discontinued.

All I know is anything comparable was (and still is) out of my price possibility, and I got a really good deal, based on what I can find, so, even better.
My kit is something of a mutt, so probably why, but I am very pleased and excited to play, every day.
I'll shut up now.

Thanks for reading. :)

My prediction, and it's nothing more than that, is that you'll warm to the idea of a 22" bass and never go smaller again. I could be wrong. No prognostication is infallible. I just have a hunch that you'll grow to see those extra two inches as an asset. In the domain of bass drums, nothing is more adaptable than a 22''x16". It's the size for all seasons.

Enjoy my friend. Drums rule and provide great exercise and mental strength. (as long as you don't overthink) In other words let it come naturally rather than rudimental. Listen closely to drum playing in all forms of music not just one genre and you'll learn rhythm, syncopation, flow and groove. Remember it's not a job, it's music and that's universal.

I know I still do prefer the 20" from a comfort and positioning standpoint, but I also note that, after an hour or so of playing, I seem to have adapted fine.
At the very least, I know that if and when I do get the 20" I want, it'll just fit even better, :)

My prediction, and it's nothing more than that, is that you'll warm to the idea of a 22" bass and never go smaller again. I could be wrong. No prognostication is infallible. I just have a hunch that you'll grow to see those extra two inches as an asset. In the domain of bass drums, nothing is more adaptable than a 22''x16". It's the size for all seasons.

I got a couple of bass drum heads- we'll see what happens. :D

Back