I don't care about movies much anymore

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I used to love movies. I loved going as a kid, especially. The whole experience was somewhat magical because I didn't get to go very often. I enjoyed going through my teen years and into my 20s. It wasn't until I started having kids (mid-30's) that I quit going (I went through a huge media-blackout period during this time. I was finishing up a grad degree while having kids and working full-time). I think I went at least 5 years without stepping foot in a theater. As my kids got older, they got interested, so I saw my fair share of kid's movies. These days, they are into Star Wars, super heroes, etc. While I wouldn't trade a minute I've had with my kids, I really don't care about going anymore. If it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't go. I can't really remember one movie to the next anymore, and my life is filled with family, work, and gigs. I can't remember the last time I watched an entire movie at home either. I simply don't have time, and on the rare occasion that I do, I feel guilty about sitting in the same spot for two hours uninterrupted. I feel like I should be up working around the house, playing with the kids, or spending time with my wife.

I'm just in a weird spot right now. Maybe middle age is just working its way in.

I was never a big movie-goer, but it's really tapered off as I got older. I can name just about all of the movies I've seen in a theater in the last 25 years: Bohemian Rhapsody was the most recent, This Is It, That Thing You Do, and the animated movie with Ed Asner as the old man. I must have seen 3 or 4 others, but that's the extent of it.

Bermuda

I used to love movies. I loved going as a kid, especially. The whole experience was somewhat magical because I didn't get to go very often. I enjoyed going through my teen years and into my 20s. It wasn't until I started having kids (mid-30's) that I quit going (I went through a huge media-blackout period during this time. I was finishing up a grad degree while having kids and working full-time). I think I went at least 5 years without stepping foot in a theater. As my kids got older, they got interested, so I saw my fair share of kid's movies. These days, they are into Star Wars, super heroes, etc. While I wouldn't trade a minute I've had with my kids, I really don't care about going anymore. If it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't go. I can't really remember one movie to the next anymore, and my life is filled with family, work, and gigs. I can't remember the last time I watched an entire movie at home either. I simply don't have time, and on the rare occasion that I do, I feel guilty about sitting in the same spot for two hours uninterrupted. I feel like I should be up working around the house, playing with the kids, or spending time with my wife.

I'm just in a weird spot right now. Maybe middle age is just working its way in.

Pretty much the same here . I’ve only seen one in a theatre this past year ( joker) with my two older girls ( 19 and 24) . They asked me to go and I wasn’t gonna miss hanging with them for a bit as they’re so busy these days . I am going to see the Impractical Jokers movie this week with my younger daughter ( 16) while she’s on break from school . We both love that show . I’d wait to see it outside a theatre setting but she wants to go . And again , just glad at this age she wants to spend time with the old man ???.

like you I hadn’t gone into a theatre in 5 or so years . Much like not buying drum gear in years , ....... I was in sticker shock ?. lol ?

I was never a big movie-goer, but it's really tapered off as I got older. I can name just about all of the movies I've seen in a theater in the last 25 years: Bohemian Rhapsody was the most recent, This Is It, That Thing You Do, and the animated movie with Ed Asner as the old man. I must have seen 3 or 4 others, but that's the extent of it.

Bermuda

That thing you do ! I love that movie . Not even sure why . Just an enjoyable flick

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been in a movie theater...and 3 of them were the releases of the original 3 Star Wars movies back in the 70's and 80's

I am not really into movies in general either. I think I am mostly too "type A' to sit still that long, and when I was young, if I had a free weekend night and extra money, I would be at a live band show instead. Or I would be practicing.

99% of the movies I have seen have been "by accident" at a party or friends house.

I can't think of the last time I saw a trailer for a movie that made me really want to go see it...and pretty much every movie in the past 10 years has been the same action/thriller in some "updated" form right? like, they barely even change the characters and plots it seems

I also hear that being in a movie theater is like being in a day care center anymore...

Last edited:
We watch lots of movies at my house. That's key, at my house. Our movie collection is ever expanding. I would estimate it to be between 300-400 at this point.

I don't like the theatre. I only go for certain things. Star Wars is one. I have to see episode 9 still, but have seen all of them (except Solo) in the theatre. It's more of a goal than anything. Otherwise the theatre is annoying. Too many people, too expensive, I'll wait for the DVD.

In the last ten years, my movie-going experience has been ruined by:
  • People kicking my seat
  • People taking on their phones
  • People chatting like they were in their own kitchen
  • My inability to pause the movie so I can pee and fetch moar snacks & drinks.
  • High price paid for all the above.
Home viewing @ 4K resolution, with a decent surround audio system is where it’s at for me.

I feel your pain PorkPie for decades dinner and movie date night, kids movies, movies with friends, etc. Now why bother. I use to really look forward to new movies and seeing them on the Big Screen my whole life, I remember for about $1.20 we could go to our local theatre and see three horror movies in a row in the 60s on a Saturday afternoon-we'd then leave about dark and take a detour through graveyard for more "scary". Seeing some of my old favorite movies now on TV it's no wonder younger folks think they suck-without the big screen experience something is missing. I swear now it seems movies are made for TV so translate the same- so my wife and I just wait for TV and add to our Amazon Prime video library-which is huge now. I don't like the trend of all the mini-theatre screens-if your to close it sucks.

Last edited:
Sounds like Bermuda and some of you others don't have wives, girlfriends or boyfriends dragging you out to the movies.
The last movie I saw was Little Women. Sometimes I need to sit in the dark, unwind, relax and take a nap.

Last movie I saw at the theater was U-571 20 years ago. The only thing I miss is the popcorn.
At home, I find myself watching movies I've already seen far more often than anything new. Some of them are like old friends.

I did also see the Rocky Horror Picture Show in the theater circa 1984...with all the costumes, meat/blood throwing etc...

date nights for me were always live shows, going to the ice skating rink or bowling. I am a rink rat, so that was always an easy date. 99% of the time free since I knew everyone there...instant touching and closeness while teaching to skate, and to keep her warm :cool:...definitely good times on the ice!!! The rink was actually one of the best places to "Shop". I had 4 serious relationships in my life, and all of them started at the rink.

I still LOVE going to the cinema!

My local cinema has these AMAZING recliner chairs with heaps of space.

I recently saw MIDWAY.

I just love sitting back, popcorn and forgetting the world for a while.

I enjoy going to the movies when I'm out shopping..... especially in the recent hot weather (even hot by Australian standards).

The people in the movies never bother me.

Plus my girlfriend and I are usually too busy kissing each other with a mouthful of popcorn and salted peanuts.

We always buy our snacks at the supermarket beforehand. We save a fortune.

I take my kids to see all the Marvel, DC and Star Wars movies.......it's so much fun!!

The last time I went to the cinema was 2012, a midweek morning showing of Skyfall with my then 15 year old son, great father son time, the best recent Bond film and genuine surprise at how good films sound through a cinema system.
The previous visit was in 2003 with my wife to see Love Actually, we nearly walked out as it was sold as being a fluffy romcom but was full of f bombs, something my wife hates.

And that’s been it! In my twenties I was at the cinema on pretty much a weekly basis but the conclusion that I’ve subsequently come to for my own opinion is that many films have always been simply disposable entertainment. I used to think films weren’t as good as they used to be but now I’m of the opinion that they weren’t inherently better “back in the day” when I went to the pictures, it’s more the case that cinema going was something that I just did without critiqueing.

Netflix and other on-demand streaming services are making the concept of going to movies quaint and impractical.

Decent home stereo set-ups are fairly inexpensive while others prefer the convenience of using their iPads to move from room-to-room and stop/start while watching content.

I go to the movies with my very young children as they love the experience of the big screen & sound, popcorn, etc. But for me I prefer to stay at home.

I still like movies as much as I used to. Not a fan of the TV commercials instead of cartoons in the beginning. I still go maybe twice a year. The movie seats are great now. And the popcorn and soda...what a bargain!

I still like movies as much as I used to. Not a fan of the TV commercials instead of cartoons in the beginning. I still go maybe twice a year. The movie seats are great now. And the popcorn and soda...what a bargain!
Yeah, it's awesome paying to watch commercials, and then pay 10-20 bucks for a soda and popcorn?? lol

I still like the theater experience, but I never buy the food. More fun to sneak that stuff in! And I have to say there are very few movies I like any more, so I only get to the theater maybe once a year. That's a big expense for a crappy movie. Super hero and cgi junk is all the rage now, and I really don't prefer that genre.

Interesting thread. I don’t go to the movies much either. Occasionally with family, and its for them, not me. And can’t watch a whole movie at home. I wonder if its related to my less than perfect hearing - its exhausting trying to focus on the dialogue all the time.

Interesting thread. I don’t go to the movies much either. Occasionally with family, and its for them, not me. And can’t watch a whole movie at home. I wonder if its related to my less than perfect hearing - its exhausting trying to focus on the dialogue all the time.
My 76-year old uncle has the same problem. He races his chopper on the quarter mile and has terrible hearing. I hooked him up with Bluetooth headphones (over-ear) and set up his tv for BT transmission. Now he can hear dialogue very well.

909D429C-FCE1-4FBF-BE5E-177906676E68.jpeg

World’s Coolest Uncle?
Definitely. And when I was virtually homeless (living in a car) and broke, he gave me a shed to live in and a job (rebuilding his 1950 Chevy dump truck).

Back