I couldn’t help it. I missed THE sound.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
2019 Ludwig classic maple in blue sparkle

22x16
16x16
12x8
14x6.5 snare

the only mod I did was install my own front reso and the floor tom got the Pearl legs with the floating feet. Just out of the boxes I got the SOUND.

happy new year!

Attachments

• 66B8676A-E606-4EC5-8F88-2FD1DD38E6B0.jpeg
    66B8676A-E606-4EC5-8F88-2FD1DD38E6B0.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 71
  • AC5B6F3F-48D0-4CB4-8789-73A8F79D1585.jpeg
    AC5B6F3F-48D0-4CB4-8789-73A8F79D1585.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 70D0FD72-6A28-4591-83CB-D35F898B379C.jpeg
    70D0FD72-6A28-4591-83CB-D35F898B379C.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 98
  • BF9E0D6D-4F3A-48F4-9AD5-F7955A11D59A.jpeg
    BF9E0D6D-4F3A-48F4-9AD5-F7955A11D59A.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1FB97711-5A24-4F6D-A6FE-22DBE95841FA.jpeg
    1FB97711-5A24-4F6D-A6FE-22DBE95841FA.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 80
Hmm, surprised you went with a 12” instead of a 13”. After playing a 12-16 setup for many years I’ve found I really prefer the 13-16 interval I now have with the old Premier kit my wife got me for Christmas. You’ve typically favored a 13” over the 12” with a 4 piece setup, no?

2019 Ludwig classic maple in blue sparkle

22x16
16x16
12x8
14x6.5 snare

the only mod I did was install my own front reso and the floor tom got the Pearl legs with the floating feet. Just out of the boxes I got the SOUND.

happy new year!
I used to own a 3 piece in the same finish. Biggest regret ever selling it. Congrats and enjoy!

Hmm, surprised you went with a 12” instead of a 13”. After playing a 12-16 setup for many years I’ve found I really prefer the 13-16 interval I now have with the old Premier kit my wife got me for Christmas. You’ve typically favored a 13” over the 12” with a 4 piece setup, no?
I did. This time around I decided to go with the 12"- the 12 and 13 are so close in interval, I figure nobody really notices. On my other Pearl kit I have a 8x12 and a 9x13, so I was looking at the one tom on that kit, and aesthetically I liked how the 12" looked better, plus it can be lowered an extra inch, and can move in closer over the bass drum since it's physically smaller. I wanted to be able to get my 20" thin crash in closer since I can ride on either cymbal.

I may add a 9x13 later, though.

that is awesome!!!

I am now trying to justify getting a new kit.....THANKS! ;)

Best looking set you’ve owned, since I’ve been around here. Love the blue sparkle. (y)

Totally jealous. I've been itching to get a Classic Maple downbeat. Red sparkle though. Or maybe sky blue pearl.

Nice!! I love the blue sparkle. My Keystone X's are blue sparkle. Just got a Ludwig Classic Maple downbeat myself in white sparkle.

That’s a stunning set! I’m a big fan of the classic maple sound! Killer tone, but with an edginess to them that not a lot of other drums have.

Are the CM's straight shells or ringed shells?

Nice!! I love the blue sparkle. My Keystone X's are blue sparkle. Just got a Ludwig Classic Maple downbeat myself in white sparkle.

White sparkle...? A custom order? Please post pics!

Straight. I stay under budget. Another poster said he didn’t like them because they’re not vintage 3-ply. I asked him if anybody at the bar could tell ?

Did you consider and price-compare the CM's and the LM's? I'm curious about the price difference. :)

White sparkle...? A custom order? Please post pics!

Did you consider and price-compare the CM's and the LM's? I'm curious about the price difference. :)
Actually, no. You can google price differences. I’m a basics kinda guy, and I don’t sound any better with exotic shells on a gig, so I avoid super-high-end instruments. I just need solid stuff that works, which is why I stay with Classic Maples or Pearl Reference instead of MasterWorks. I balance my instruments to how I work.

Congrats! I'm surprised by how the Classic Maples seem to fly under many people's radar. These are solid, durable, versatile, and nice sounding drums.

In regards to your comments about the 3ply vs the Classic Maples and no one at the bar being able to tell the difference, I would actually say no one at the bar gives a crap or even pays attention to any drum set you are playing. A CB 700 would most likely sound the same to them as your Classic Maples, your Pearls, your vintage Yamahas, or new Craviottos. The key is to play what makes YOU happy, what inspires YOU to play with emotion and excitement. Clearly the other poster is more inspired by 3 ply Ludwigs than the Classic Maples, which is fine. One isn't inherently better than the other though. Although I have both and I prefer the 3 ply Ludwigs. :)

Congrats! I'm surprised by how the Classic Maples seem to fly under many people's radar. These are solid, durable, versatile, and nice sounding drums.

In regards to your comments about the 3ply vs the Classic Maples and no one at the bar being able to tell the difference, I would actually say no one at the bar gives a crap or even pays attention to any drum set you are playing. A CB 700 would most likely sound the same to them as your Classic Maples, your Pearls, your vintage Yamahas, or new Craviottos. The key is to play what makes YOU happy, what inspires YOU to play with emotion and excitement. Clearly the other poster is more inspired by 3 ply Ludwigs than the Classic Maples, which is fine. One isn't inherently better than the other though. Although I have both and I prefer the 3 ply Ludwigs. :)

You are absolutely right. Sometimes I just feel snarky when someone tells me about what I don't have. I've been doing this for a while now, and I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing. And you are right that nobody even cares what I'm playing when I'm in a dive bar. They care even less if the band sucks. However, what I did find out first hand, was that those vintage Yamaha's form the 60s could not keep up with the heavy beating. Because of the shell construction, they seemed to choke out quicker if you laid into them too much. I've also taken 1980s Exports to a gig only to have the lug inserts either strip out, or the lug pop off because the mounting screw cracked. So if I do the "very cheap and old" drum kits again, I'd have to really inspect the metal bits. When I stay with the pro-level stuff, I never seem to have any of those operational issues.

But it's nice to circle back to the brand I learned how to play on. There's a lot of nostalgia for me and Ludwig (along with Slingerland) and I figured "Hey, new decade, let's get some new drums, but go back home". I start playing these, close my eyes, and all of a sudden it's 1976 and I'm driving my family crazy with all the noise. I know you can't go back, but I miss those days :(

Back