I’m worried that live music is over

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Drive-in concerts are the next big thing. Watch a concert fro your car:

I just cant fathom being on stage and performing for a parking lot. As a car guy, it might be distracting.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Alive and well here with local bars and businesses. Just like coffee shops. The mom and pop ones are running as if nothing happened. Big chain ones still have no seating. Big $$$ venues are still not scheduling anything.

sumdrumguy

One of the bands I am in just booked a couple of dates. One is the patio of a yacht club. The other a mid-sized family run bar.

Both have stressed social distancing measures are being enforced. Folks won't be able to dance, but they can butt-boogie and make noises. It will be great to play for a crowd again!

Woolwich

Silver Member
I was optimistic and I remain optimistic. However we received a very thoughtful and polite message from a landlady yesterday regretfully informing us that the management company behind the chain of pubs she works for have cancelled all bands up to and including November. This is in the North East of England.
I can see solo acts and perhaps duos getting back to gigging because of their ability to social distance and the likelihood that the types of service they provide and venues they play in may be the ones that are open for business before pubs, but band gigging for me might literally be done this year.

ToneT

I envision boys and girls, with masks on, trying to pick each other up.

In due time, the beer will flow, and the boobs will jiggle.....

Rock Salad

we have been playing together long enough that we could probably show and hit it on the fly...we have not practiced since February, but hell, it is just simple swing and blues. I use brushes, and rarely play anything that is more than a simple stewing 2 and 4 at around 100bpm.

We do arrangements of songs that I know like the back of my hand. When we formed the group, the idea was to be able to play at really soft volumes as background noise, on the spot. So there are no wild arrangements; all of the solo breaks are planned out as far as structure goes; we can play for about 3 hours if needed...
Man! Dream Gig!

Y'all come on down Oklahoma if you want to play real bad. We are up and running- for better or worse.
And people are partying like it's 1999.
(again, for better or worse)
The state has stopped releasing our Corona #s. And we are counting down to the centennial of our race riot.
caveat: I say "us" but i have been here only ten years.
There is no way live music can die while musicians still live. Getting paid is a whole other thing though.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Man! Dream Gig!

Y'all come on down Oklahoma if you want to play real bad. We are up and running- for better or worse.
And people are partying like it's 1999.
(again, for better or worse)
The state has stopped releasing our Corona #s. And we are counting down to the centennial of our race riot.
caveat: I say "us" but i have been here only ten years.
There is no way live music can die while musicians still live. Getting paid is a whole other thing though.
well, the other version of that band just played last night. We turn into a cowpunk/rockabilly band that loses the trumpet, and gains another guitar...

We did an outdoor, "on the patio" gig, and other than the humidity, and the fact that I was the only one there NOT smoking, it was great. About 40-50 people following the rules...I am glad I had my fan, and mask. I didn't get Covid, but now officially have lung cancer

Last edited:

wraub

Sounds like a good gig, smoking aside...

I use this site to resize pics for forum use... it's quick and basic.
https://postimages.org/

well, the other version of that band just played last night. We turn into a cowpunk/rockabilly band that loses the trumpet, and gains another guitar...

We did an outdoor, "on the patio" gig, and other than the humidity, and the fact that I was the only one there NOT smoking, it was great. About 40-50 people following the rules...I am glad I had my fan, and mask. I didn't get Covid, but now officially have lung cancer

for some reason, the pics won't up load.