I’m worried that live music is over

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Funny thing, you and I are in the same general neighborhood and we have stuff getting cancelled while booking additional dates. BUT, it's summer cancellations and fall/winter bookings.
our bookings have all been replacement bookings for next year so far... as far as I know, anything we had for fall was cancelled too. But that might change now that things are opening up again. My jazz group plays retirement homes a lot, so I don't see those gigs coming back for the longest time. The cow punk group does a lot of outdoor things, so those might come back in some form sooner than the jazz group

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Oh, things are opening up again.

No foreign artists at the local jazz festival this year, which makes for a very different type of festival, no Herbie with Vinnie :(, but it's on. The ones in the bigger cities are cancelled.

Music schools open up again June 1st.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
. My jazz group plays retirement homes a lot, so I don't see those gigs coming back for the longest time.
That’s terrible. Those folks don’t get to enjoy their favorite music live, and you don’t get to enjoy making them happy, or make a little extra cash. It’s hard to see a silver lining there. Maybe do a Skype/Zoom concert for them instead?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

That’s terrible. Those folks don’t get to enjoy their favorite music live, and you don’t get to enjoy making them happy, or make a little extra cash. It’s hard to see a silver lining there. Maybe do a Skype/Zoom concert for them instead?
you are right. They need something to help break up the day...

we were talking with one place about setting up in a courtyard outside, and the residents could just open their windows....the rub is that it has been raining non stop for the last 3 weeks here...but I have a feelign this will start happening in the summer

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
you are right. They need something to help break up the day...

we were talking with one place about setting up in a courtyard outside, and the residents could just open their windows....the rub is that it has been raining non stop for the last 3 weeks here...but I have a feelign this will start happening in the summer
That’s a great idea. Way better than a Zoom concert, in my opinion

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
The end of live music would be heralded by, the few surviving historians, as a hallmark feature of our decline and ultimate extinction as a species. We are social creatures-technology can't really change that interaction-as well as how social interaction ultimately leads to procreation and maintaining our species. Already there are numerous publications how technology is influencing our youth producing problems with having "Normal-healthy" social interactions and sexual behaviors so it would exacerbate those issues as well. I can watch a drummer perform a lick on a video but I'd get a lot more out of it if I was standing their watching in person. We can run but we just can't hide.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Not sure how live music is gonna be handled, but free standing bars are allowed to reopen here on Tuesday. Bars in restaurants were allowed open last week.

I'm interested to see the numbers, how full the bars get, and how many (if any) more people get sick because this is too soon. I'm not saying it is too soon, but it very well might be.

This leads me to another conundrum: will cops arrest drunk drivers and take them to jail? That's another hot spot right now. Do you risk putting someone who might be sick in a closed population? Do you risk putting a potentially not sick person in a facility where you cant distance yourself and illness might exist already? I have not seen one traffic stop since this whole thing started, and I even tried to get myself pulled over.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Police shut down a party Friday night but I'm invited to gig at three parties in people's backyards this holiday weekend.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I'm interested to see the numbers, how full the bars get, and how many (if any) more people get sick because this is too soon. I'm not saying it is too soon, but it very well might be.

This leads me to another conundrum: will cops arrest drunk drivers and take them to jail? That's another hot spot right now. Do you risk putting someone who might be sick in a closed population? Do you risk putting a potentially not sick person in a facility where you cant distance yourself and illness might exist already? I have not seen one traffic stop since this whole thing started, and I even tried to get myself pulled over.
I’d bet my next 327 paychecks that it is too soon, and that we will have renewed lockdowns, probably border shutdowns between states, probably civil unrest, and possibly even a division into 2 or 3 separate countries.

I absolutely know it’s too soon. Germany tried to reopen a few weeks ago, and they FAILED HARD. The problem isn’t so much rural areas, it’s cities. And there are plenty of cities in states that are foolishly trying to reopen.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
GetAgrippa brings up a truly terrifying scenario mentioning historians.
Given the past behavior of some some "historians" revising what truly happened, can you imagine what might be taught to future generations?

ex: Ragtime was a form of rap, the swing pattern was played mainly on the splash cymbal, Steve Gadd was heavily influenced by Jeff Indyke. etc...

Last edited:

wraub

The hi-hats were named after a rambunctious Kentucky Derby party, 3/4 time was invented by a guy name Larry, and, originally, snare drums were legal to be used to catch game animals.

GetAgrippa brings up a truly terrifying scenario mentioning historians.
Given the past behavior of some some "historians" revising what truly happened, can you imagine what might be taught to future generations?

ex: Ragtime was a form of rap, the swing pattern was played mainly on the splash cymbal, Steve Gadd was heavily influenced by Jeff Indyke. etc...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That's funny. Scott Joplin, didnt he write Straight Outta Compton?

Good thing all this stuff is written down and recorded. We can still hit dummies in the head with sheet music if necessary.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I’d bet my next 327 paychecks that it is too soon, and that we will have renewed lockdowns, probably border shutdowns between states, probably civil unrest, and possibly even a division into 2 or 3 separate countries.

I absolutely know it’s too soon. Germany tried to reopen a few weeks ago, and they FAILED HARD. The problem isn’t so much rural areas, it’s cities. And there are plenty of cities in states that are foolishly trying to reopen.
...and the people complaining the loudest and starting the riots will be the ones who raced out to be "normal" again....because ignorance breeds ignorance

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
...and the people complaining the loudest and starting the riots will be the ones who raced out to be "normal" again....because ignorance breeds ignorance
But at least I know I’ll have a job. I am a telephone/internet tech in a mostly-rural area. A lot of people are escaping from the major cities to this area to work from home and avoid the virus and, let’s be honest, the coming civil unrest. They all want their internet to work. Power linemen and telephone linemen are going to be some of the most secure jobs over the next few years.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

How do you guys rehearse?
we have been playing together long enough that we could probably show and hit it on the fly...we have not practiced since February, but hell, it is just simple swing and blues. I use brushes, and rarely play anything that is more than a simple stewing 2 and 4 at around 100bpm.

We do arrangements of songs that I know like the back of my hand. When we formed the group, the idea was to be able to play at really soft volumes as background noise, on the spot. So there are no wild arrangements; all of the solo breaks are planned out as far as structure goes; we can play for about 3 hours if needed...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

But at least I know I’ll have a job. I am a telephone/internet tech in a mostly-rural area. A lot of people are escaping from the major cities to this area to work from home and avoid the virus and, let’s be honest, the coming civil unrest. They all want their internet to work. Power linemen and telephone linemen are going to be some of the most secure jobs over the next few years.
yep...I will probably be the first to go if civil unrest happens...I am a middle/high school band director. I have lived homeless before though, so the idea of escaping urban centers and going rogue in the wilderness is a possibility. I am not convinced that it will come down to Mad Max style unrest, but I do believe that the people who are supposed to contain the unrest are going to drop the ball again on that, because they can afford to get away from it