Hurricane Ian

My mother is on the central east coast . Spoke to her this morning and can attest to the PANIC BUYING . This phenomenon has increased in the past decade or so . In an emergency you gotta get what you “need” and that’s understandable but many go overboard largely but not solely helped by the selling of fear ! And there’s no ending in sight with the constant sales pitch ! That and the “supply chain” issues will only compound the problem .
I see the thought process when I speak to people and see or hear what they’ve bought before an emergency impending weather event . It’s……. Well , with supply chain issues and after the event , I’m buying all I can now because who knows when there’ll be more . This actually creates supply issues for all to get through the event by not getting just what is needed .
There’s always been panic and some panic buying to an extent but the selling of FEAR is a real and compounding problem .
Prayers to all you Floridians 🙏.
Yes panic buying is a major problem and what pisses me off is people joy riding to look at all the damage and the lines at the gas stations where people are just filling up there cars and have no cans to fill for generators.i was told because of snapped power poles we won't have power for 2 weeks .I need gas for my generator.

"we tool a drive and the new Aldi the roof caved in and filled the whole place up with water."
Repeat please? I say again, repeat. You're breaking up, Florida. ( :the grocery store Aldi looked like a fish bowl with water gushing out the front doors.comeback😁

Well the huge damage and loss of life in this storms path isn't even calculated and the slime of earth media and politicians already politicizing the event. That's just sick. Now when folks are down the rest of slime of earth comes out to take advantage of them while their down in addressing their losses. I noted Florida officials giving people warning about the slme balls who will likely try to take advantage of them-and gave them legitimate resources for help. Michael (Cat 5 at landfall) clipped trees in half and left a barren swath through panhandle of Florida and did the same into middle of Georgia as it diminished to tropical storm (devastated pecan orchards in Albany area). it's been 4 years and the damage still evident in both States. Watching Ian reminds me so much of Michael and it destroying my early teen to adult playground of Mexico Beach-still brings tears to my eyes-the area not even recognizable with no landmarks left to tell. My thoughts and prayers with all those battling the mess.

Tis the season.
The panic buying is a uniquely American thing I've discovered. Cabo is also prone to hurricanes but none of the locals freak out like my experiences in the US. David, Hugo, Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Isabel, done them all got the t-shirt. It's a wild ride, you learn what you need to do. Generator, fuel, cash, water. The four staples.
Hold on to your underwear, keep your powder dry. Be safe.

People are starting to get nasty.since they shut down are main interstate going south traffic on 41 is at a crawl and backed up for miles.i was coming off Venice island where it merges on to 41 the traffic light doesn't work.so this old lady in a corrola kinda tries to blend in with 41 traffic and this guy with a giant f350 with semi wheels on it wouldn't let her in and she kept going he ran his one tire right into the back of her she hit the brakes and he floored it and ran his truck right upon the back of her car. I was behind her when she pulled out .I just couldn't believe it.yes we call the police and told them about this d-ck. Sorry for long post

People are starting to get nasty.since they shut down are main interstate going south traffic on 41 is at a crawl and backed up for miles.i was coming off Venice island where it merges on to 41 the traffic light doesn't work.so this old lady in a corrola kinda tries to blend in with 41 traffic and this guy with a giant f350 with semi wheels on it wouldn't let her in and she kept going he ran his one tire right into the back of her she hit the brakes and he floored it and ran his truck right upon the back of her car. I was behind her when she pulled out .I just couldn't believe it.yes we call the police and told them about this d-ck. Sorry for long post
I went out and about a bit today and found the same, people are very short tempered and nasty right now. My wife and I obviously are anxious to get power back but we keep talking about how lucky we are in relation to other parts of the state and even a few blocks from our house.

My wife and I are enjoying a nice fire in the backyard pit since, well... We really have nothing else to do haha. One tiny positive to these late summer/early fall storms is they bring in beautiful weather. It's an unseasonably cool and mild low 70's when a week ago it was mid 90s. Sharing a glass of Jim Beam and a hobo-style fired cooked can of vegetarian chili with the Mrs. Certainly could be doing worse.IMG_20221001_192822515.jpg

I honestly thought you meant 'Audi' - and was having trouble with predictive text!
Even so - I thought a car roof crushed by rain till it ran out of the doors needed confirmation!

I honestly thought you meant 'Audi' - and was having trouble with predictive text!
Even so - I thought a car roof crushed by rain till it ran out of the doors needed confirmation!
Lol…no, it’s much worse if an Aldi gets wrecked ;). Not really, but they have the best prices and they have a brown rice/quinoa pasta that actually tastes good as long as you don’t boil it too long.

In which case it goes through you like a hurricane?
We have Aldi in the UK - didn't know the US does too!
I live in the south eastern part of the USA now and Aldi seems to be a more recent thing that is taking off in the last few years, like Wawa. I grew up in the north eastern part of the USA and Aldi has been a staple longer then I've been alive, same as Wawa.

Aldi is great but my wife and I like to shop for 2-3 weeks at a time and their setup unfortunately isn't great for that so we switched. But I do love their high quality products and low prices. I fully understand and respect the business aspect that allows them to offer what they do for how cheap they can but the American in me wants a larger selection and to have someone else bag my stuff. I'll be honest.

Wawa is a gas station convenience store type thing except they are known for their made to order deli sandwiches, coffee, and free tire air.

When I was in the States I came across an Aldi. We were in Fairfax, VA. I was delighted because at last I could buy actual food at reasonable prices...
Aldi seems to offer a lot more food with European regulations (for lack of better phrasing) which typically is going to have less chemical/preservative/dye/crap/etc then our pre-packaged stuff from the states and at prices way lower then what you would after find at a natural food store, veggie market, etc. I've noticed Aldi's presence has caused a bit of a shake up in your typical American grocery store and they are starting to offer more products like that at prices like that. People are starting to become aware that you can eat affordably without eating garbage.

Anyway, I severely derailed this thread haha. Back to topic.

Just reading that for 2023 a 91% confidence we can expect a continuation of La Niña (so cold phase of El Niño-Southeern Oscillation ) so more hurricanes for Atlantic basin (compared to Pacific) and for Florida in particular. I also found this interesting master's thesis specifically how ENSCO influence hurricane activity in Florida in recent times-and it is different for East coast and Florida (https://climatecenter.fsu.edu/topic...nal-effects-of-enso-on-us-hurricane-landfalls). I'm not sure how well that study has held up to further scrutiny. I remember in 2006 a study published how man-made climate change directly reducing trade winds-so would favor an El Niño and decrease Atlantic basin hurricane activity-but we have lots of strong winds and La Nino's since that prediction.

Al Gore called, said "I told you so"
Another inconvenient truth.

Oh man I was looking at local weather radar and backed off to whole nation and noted some circular motion off Venezuela . Googled it and it has likelihood to develop into hurricane in Gulf. That ain’t good. Actually looks weird off Honduras too

Last edited:
Trader Joe’s too, although Aldi is a lot more common.

Shall we sing Kumbahyah or It’s A Small World?
I don't know how they are here, but in California, Trader Joe's was always located in places that had the worst, most inadequate parking lots.

Back