How to setup remote hi-hats on a Roland TD-27 kit

Winston

Hi everyone
I've upgraded a Roland TD-15 with a few extra elements (floor, crash, PD-140DS snare, KD120 kick, VH-10 hi-hat and TD-27 sound module).

Because I've got used to playing a 2nd remote hi-hat on my acoustic kit, I was wondering if I could replicate this on my electronic kit too, ie using both the original CY-5 hi-hat and the FD-8 pedal (from the TD-15) as a second remote hi-hat that I could play the same way I play my main hi-hat (the VH-10), like open, close etc.
The CY-5 does ok once plugged on AUX Trigger IN, but I'm not able to "link" the FD-8 pedal with it (it's on another AUX trigger IN)

Would there be a way to associate the FD-8 and the CY-5 on a TD-27 module?

electrodrummer

Wire the two hat *pads* together using a stereo + stereo --> stereo y-cable so they're both plugged into the hat-pad input on the module. Now, this is obs best if both pads are electrically the same (in this case the piezos in the pads are kicking out the same/similar signal levels so one pad isn't louder than the other)

Mr_Runner

Hi I realise I’m not answering your question per se but I have a Roland TD-27KV kit. I think it’s a very good kit and is almost perfect for me at least. It should have been completely perfect for the money but it goes to show that not a lot of things in life are perfect however much money you throw at something, even at a company like Roland. I think ‘perfection’ can be a bit of a human illusion to the self.

The weak link on the kit in my opinion is the hi-hat VH-10 I think that came with the 27KV. It’s fairly good and precise as these things may go but it has accuracy flaws even when set up reasonably correctly and accurately in comparison to an acoustic hi-hat. To be fair though it must have been very difficult even for very skilled, talented and experienced technicians, designers and engineers etc to get the VH-10 to where it’s at despite some of the flaws. Getting a motion sensor and a single plate hi-hat to be exactly the same functionally as an acoustic one could be too much to ask of any company at present however much they are charging. I guess an electric kit is just very different from an acoustic and may always be that way at least functionality wise and possibly for some time. Perhaps in future the technology may improve and different hardware developed which maybe more advanced and effective at what it is supposed to do. Could take time though and will probably be very expensive.

There maybe a few things that electrodrummer says that I really don’t agree with despite his possibly very extensive and depth of technical knowledge. However he may be right with something here - the loose hi-hat pedal and wire on the cheaper kits it seems may actually function better and be more accurate than the ones that use an acoustic hi-hat stand and possibly motion sensor ironically on the more expensive kits again it seems. If this is true Roland or any other company shouldn’t be compromising functionally for a more acoustic look even if that is a good thing and what more people want. Sure they may get the more acoustic look they want but at the cost of less (significantly) accurate functionality? I’m not sure if the ideas were there, they developed them well but it may have been too far along the process by the time they may have realised the flaws? Sometimes doing electric / acoustic combinations may work, sometimes not. It may work less well when it involves mechanical movement like the VH-10. That setup caused me a good few probs and expense concerning which acoustic hi-hat stand to use.

I think you’re trying to get a loose pedal and wire hi-hat setup on your setup which is what interested me to your post. That could be a future option on my 27KV? I guess I may need the Roland parts you’re using or some other similar Roland hardware?

The only other thing Roland could have done is include a more robust kick pad on the TD-27KV. However this is typical of Roland to be a bit tight and give you a bit less for your money even if you have spent A LOT on a kit even if they do produce very good quality hardware in my opinion generally speaking. They maybe like Apple in a way, good in my view and generally ‘does what it says on the tin and essentially works for a good bit’, just very expensive but stuff like this with some quality is going to be and they know they can get away with it because of it. I’m not a pro Apple guy, they are probably very expensive when it comes down to it cost wise.

Last edited:

electrodrummer

There maybe a few things that electrodrummer says that I really don’t agree with despite his possibly very extensive and depth of technical knowledge. However he may be right with something here

Not sure if I'm being complimented here :ROFLMAO:;)

Winston

electrodrummer: not sure I understood your suggestion: what kind of " stereo + stereo --> stereo y" cable do you mean exactly?
Can this be a ¼ M - 2x F like this one?
image.png

electrodrummer

electrodrummer: not sure I understood your suggestion: what kind of " stereo + stereo --> stereo y" cable do you mean exactly?
Can this be a ¼ M - 2x F like this one?
View attachment 107782

Depends on your module and what cabling system it has - (evil proprietary cable snake?) - so your one might work, or you might need to add in a gender changer if you're snaked ;)

electrically you're aiming for

pad #1 --> stereo out --> y-cable input #1 -->
pad #2 --> stereo out --> y-cable input #2 -->
and -----> y-cable output --> module hat input

You're simply wiring the two pads together so hitting either sends a signal to the hat input.

All stereo as I'm assuming your pads are dual zone.

YMMV

Last edited:

Mr_Runner

Not sure if I'm being complimented here :ROFLMAO:;)
Hi basically yes and I'm very sorry about the very late reply.

I guess no one or company is perfect, however much money Roland charge. I think for the most part you're a genuinely very helpful guy and in my view that overrides most other things or anything I may not completely agree with. Carry on I guess!