How to get a snare sound like JD Beck in nord's video?

opentune

Platinum Member
aluminum or steel, cranked superhigh....and she has some weights or soemthign resting on the batter
the bigger question is how to attain chops like hers.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

Another thing to have floating around in your memory banks is a live snare will never sound the same as a recorded snare. Yes, tuning and heads can get you in the ballpark, but the recorded snare has been EQ'd, gated, compressed, sound replaced/had sounds added to it, mics, the room, etc., etc.
I'm not trying to be a killjoy about this, definitely experiment with different things, just don't drive yourself crazy trying to copy a recorded snare tone.

nedurpile

Another thing to have floating around in your memory banks is a live snare will never sound the same as a recorded snare. Yes, tuning and heads can get you in the ballpark, but the recorded snare has been EQ'd, gated, compressed, sound replaced/had sounds added to it, mics, the room, etc., etc.
I'm not trying to be a killjoy about this, definitely experiment with different things, just don't drive yourself crazy trying to copy a recorded snare tone.
Oh yea most definitely. I was really looking for a high tuned snare.

Ghostin one

I have a 4" x 14" maple snare that doesn't sound far off. He's got a leatherman or some other multi-tool laying on the snare batter.

That drummer (JD Beck) is a guy... nothing on his site about gear.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
JD is an interesting cat.. I've been watching a fair share of videos with him playing along with DOMI (keyboards).

I think of his snare like a really tuned up high Steve Gadd-kind of thing... Almost muffled entirely but good body. JD uses all kinds of things to muffle his drums too I've noticed... like wallets, fanny packs, little wood cases, etc.

Concerning chops, he's no huge Moeller whipping player but rather he plays a lot from the wrist and fingers. His elbows/upper arms hardly move at times.