How Often Do You Change Your Resonant Heads?

ottog1979

Years? Really?

If I’m stupid busy batters might make it to eight weeks. So I’ll do all the resos maybe to six months. But my snare reso gets changed every time I change the top head. I just budget for it.
Damn! Bo's old drum heads make up a whole corner of the landfil.

someguy01

My acro is still wearing the ludwig reso that came on it in 1970 whatever. It does need changed because some donkey left stick dents in it at some point.

C.M. Jones

My acro is still wearing the ludwig reso that came on it in 1970 whatever. It does need changed because some donkey left stick dents in it at some point.
When you do change the head, you should hang it on a wall (maybe in your garage?) as a keepsake. It's a '70s artifact. Even if it doesn't have a story to tell, you can always invent a few.

graysonator

Just changed my bottom heads a month ago from my 2 year old Aquarian Modern Vintage Mediums to some fresh new Texture Coated heads, I like coated over coated on my toms because it warms up the drum a lot, and if your looking for a warmer tom sound I really suggest you try it.

C.M. Jones

Just changed my bottom heads a month ago from my 2 year old Aquarian Modern Vintage Mediums to some fresh new Texture Coated heads, I like coated over coated on my toms because it warms up the drum a lot, and if your looking for a warmer tom sound I really suggest you try it.
Welcome to the Coated Cult. Coated Pinstripes over Coated Ambassadors on my toms. That combo is warmer than a patchwork quilt on a harsh winter's night.

Liam

I change my snare batter and reso about once a year and my tom batters evrey two years reso every four years, kick batter every two years kick reso when it breaks. This is unless a head breaks first. I also keep a set of old heads as a spare incase a head brakes and I cant get a new one in time.

dmacc_2

Reso heads on toms don't get changed for about 8-10 years. Perhaps every 3 or so years for snare.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
When I was gigging multiple times a week and doing lots of studio work at the same time, all with the same kit, I changed batter heads every few weeks, resos maybe once a year. Since I'm not hitting as hard as I did a decade ago, not doing any gigs anymore and only concentrating on studio work and rehearsal I'll maybe change tom and snare batter heads once every 6-18 months and resos maybe every 3-5 years. Bass drum less frequently, since I don't put any tension on it.

John Q. Drummer

I’ve averaged 95 3-hour shows in the past 4-5 years. No idea if that's average with all the responses thus far, but just throwing it out for consideration.

Snare batters – 2-4 times a year, depending if the coating is gone or not.
Snare Resos – Once a year, depending. (I actually broke one due to my own negligence last year. Wasn’t paying attention putting it in the snare basket and the arm broke through the bottom of the head. I always bring a spare snare, so I was covered.)

Tom Batters – Twice a year, usually because the coating is gone in the middle.
Tom Resos – Once a year.

Bass Batter – Once a year, unless I break through one. (Did that two years ago, right before lockdown. I wore through the beater patch as well…sheesh. The second time in my life I’ve done that.)
Bass Reso – Only whenever the band needs a new logo head to align with the current marketing scheme. I’ve had 3 different ones over the years, so maybe once every 18 months or so?

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I’ve averaged 95 3-hour shows in the past 4-5 years. No idea if that's average with all the responses thus far, but just throwing it out for consideration.

Snare batters – 2-4 times a year, depending if the coating is gone or not.
Snare Resos – Once a year, depending. (I actually broke one due to my own negligence last year. Wasn’t paying attention putting it in the snare basket and the arm broke through the bottom of the head. I always bring a spare snare, so I was covered.)

Tom Batters – Twice a year, usually because the coating is gone in the middle.
Tom Resos – Once a year.

Bass Batter – Once a year, unless I break through one. (Did that two years ago, right before lockdown. I wore through the beater patch as well…sheesh. The second time in my life I’ve done that.)
Bass Reso – Only whenever the band needs a new logo head to align with the current marketing scheme. I’ve had 3 different ones over the years, so maybe once every 18 months or so?

I average about 155 3-hr shows per year and my head change schedule is almost identical to yours with the exception of Tom Batters which are only once a year. With the Evans UV coating lately, they look brand new throughout the year.

Fred D

Pioneer Member
I'll be on my third bass drum reso, for the year, when it arrives next week. Currently using a PS3 ported. Tried a coated ambassador also ported, and next will be a smooth white ambassador without a port. I don't use muffling of any kind. Currently running Earthworks mics on the reso. One on the reso and another inside. Thinking about running a Shure KSM32 on the reso along with the Earthworks. We will see. Clear PS3 on the batter BTW,

Sonar Dave

When I gigged - about 3 months. Now - Never unless I notice something sounds way off.