How much could I sell my ex husband’s Ludwig kit for (?)

JenSevens777

Before anything - yes I have his permission.

I’ve put it on craigslist, offer up and facebook marketplace but the price must be wrong because I thought it would go fast and it is not.. I listed it for $2000 and he says thats too low. (?) help Im not a drummer 🙏🏼

Its a 6-piece black Ludwig Classic Maple drumkit from the 2010’s with a premier snare (?) should I take it to guitar center or something instead? My kid needs braces. Lol

Attachments

• 8AA1A1AF-2397-4C46-A7EC-2B5390B28F31.jpeg
    8AA1A1AF-2397-4C46-A7EC-2B5390B28F31.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 7134D531-B7A8-4B8C-B97B-E3E6B45D3E8F.jpeg
    7134D531-B7A8-4B8C-B97B-E3E6B45D3E8F.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 598B39CC-D8D9-4FF2-9895-03257D06192D.jpeg
    598B39CC-D8D9-4FF2-9895-03257D06192D.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 1C2CC228-482E-48A3-97CB-A915EF7B7FEC.jpeg
    1C2CC228-482E-48A3-97CB-A915EF7B7FEC.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 5DC4B998-E22D-4195-91CC-7C576826ED0B.jpeg
    5DC4B998-E22D-4195-91CC-7C576826ED0B.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 61605007-F696-4BE2-9F6D-8882D09407B0.jpeg
    61605007-F696-4BE2-9F6D-8882D09407B0.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 75
Two thousand seems like a fair price. Maybe after tax refunds are received it will pick up

I’m not a Ludwig wonk, but if you sell to a reseller (eg. guitar center) you will get less than if you sell to an end user.

Shipping drums is not easy, but If you can I recommend listing the gear on reverb.com. You can state the price but also allow for offers.

Good luck!

If you are willing to sell on Reverb and ship, I think you could sell for $2500-2800 and faster sell. If local, you customer sphere is smaller and price goes down unless in a major city, a local pick up on Reverb may work at a higher price....but will likely be a much slower sale. If you just want to get rid of them, I assume Guitar Center would give $1000 or something like that.

If interested in shipping, here is guide and special boxes if you need them...you could factor that into the price to get at least $2000 that you are looking for. Would sell that Premier separately, not sure what it is.

Good luck!

selling ex-husbands gear reminds me of a story at the car lot. Wife amidst a divorce stopped in and sold us her (soon to be ex) husbands car for... $1.
(doesn't apply here : ) brought back that funny 80s memory : ) I can still see that car.....

Last edited:
Don't get discouraged if it doesn't fly out the door right away. I've bought used drums that had been listed on Reverb and Ebay for up to a year! That doesn't necessarily mean the price is too high, sometimes it's just not being seen by someone who wants it badly enough.

Last edited:
I'd sell the Premier snare separately; the rest of it looks like a Gem.

Do the floor toms hang from a stand rather than stand on legs? If so they might be slightly slower to sell because hanging toms are less popular now.

Omgoodness you guys are all so nice and helpful!!! Im soo glad I came on here to ask! I will see how much shipping costs that sounds great. And yes maybe after tax refunds it will sell too ☺️ thank you all 🙏🏼
You can see some examples on reverb for shipping, between $150-300 roughly. You would have to see if you can do the Russian Doll approach on the toms for packing to keep in one box or not (depends on the sizes). Also on the price suggestion, condition can be big deal so scuffs or wear do devalue so best to be transparent as much as possible for sales to avoid headaches and factor into price.

Nice kit here in Australia that kit would be selling around the 2000 mark only for the Ludwigs classic maple dont know about the Premier snare.

You can see some examples on reverb for shipping, between $150-300 roughly. You would have to see if you can do the Russian Doll approach on the toms for packing to keep in one box or not (depends on the sizes). Also on the price suggestion, condition can be big deal so scuffs or wear do devalue so best to be transparent as much as possible for sales to avoid headaches and factor into price.
First of all, Shipping will a LOT higher than $150-$300. I don't know what size is, but if it's a 22" kick and you nest two toms, then you need another box and nest a few more toms, and at least one more box if only the snare. Nesting has its issues if you've never done it you could ruin the drums. Looks like OP is in Texas. If a Reverb buyer is on east or west coast they could end up paying $500+ for shipping those 3 boxes. Heck I just paid $75 to ship a 16x20 piece of unframed art from KY to VT. Shipping is a killer these days.

Craigslist success depends on where you are. Looks like just outside Dallas. $2,000 for the kit in large metro area like Dallas should sell. Maybe not quickly, though. People get on Craigslist for bargains. $2,000 isn't a bargain. There are a lot of drums in that kit. Drum kits with bass/ rack tom/floor tom/ snare sell the fastest. It's a much smaller market for someone wanting that many toms and they have $2,000 cash. That's why they have not sold.

My recommendations:

Sell it as a bass drum + two toms kit. I don't know the sizes. If it has a 12" rack tom and 14" floor tom (diameters of heads) sell the three piece list it on Craigslist as a three piece like that for $1,200. A bargain. Should go quick. You can even throw in the snare. It's a cheap made in Asia Premier, judging by badge. Not desirable at all. Which is surprising given quality of Ludwig kit.

List the other two toms separately. List for $200 each on Craiglist. You could also list on Reverb for $250 each plus $100 shipping; lots of buyers looking to add individual drums to their kits. The black color should help it's popular.

If you hold out for more $$$ expect to hold out forever. May never sell. It's a buyers market you're competing for that money.

One box for a 6 piece kit? You'd need a VERY sturdy box and lots of packing, and have to cart a very very heavy box. A typical 3 piece nested kit usually weighs around 60 pounds shipped. You'd be approaching 100 pounds lol.

One box for a 6 piece kit? You'd need a VERY sturdy box and lots of packing, and have to cart a very very heavy box. A typical 3 piece nested kit usually weighs around 60 pounds shipped. You'd be approaching 100 pounds lol.
2 or 3…again don’t know the sizes for nesting. Depends where you are willing to ship. The RIM mounts would need removal but at least not an atlas mount.

First of all, Shipping will a LOT higher than $150-$300.
I spot checked roughly what a 6 pc was going for on a few kits, I didn’t see higher than $300. OP is Texas it appears so fair not an extreme coast to coast…… feel free provide a precise shipping rate if you know it.

2 or 3…again don’t know the sizes for nesting. Depends where you are willing to ship. The RIM mounts would need removal but at least not an atlas mount.

I spot checked roughly what a 6 pc was going for on a few kits, I didn’t see higher than $300. OP is Texas it appears so fair not an extreme coast to coast…… feel free provide a precise shipping rate if you know it.
Also figure in cost of boxes and packing material. Not likely someone has a sturdy box around that's at leas 24x24x18 or so. Those boxes cost $20+. OP may have up to $60 buying boxes. Gonna nest drums gotta have a lot of quality packing material. OP is in $100 just for boxes and packing material. Shipping is a PITA. Some veteran Reverbers can do it for $300 but not a newbie. And OP risks damage in shipping because they're not familiar with shipping drums. I hate shipping drums. I'd rather drive 200 miles and meet someone than ship. That''s usually what I do - offer only local pick up, but will meet within $200 miles for an additional $50 and that's negotiable. I list on Craigslist at a bargain price and wait a long time before I use Reverb.

I’ve put it on craigslist, offer up and facebook marketplace but the price must be wrong because I thought it would go fast and it is not.. I listed it for $2000 and he says thats too low. (?) help Im not a drummer 🙏🏼
You can also list on eBay and Reverb ..... and stipulate "local pick-up only" (if you don't want to ship). That will at least get more eyes on these drums.

You might also want to state "make an offer" in your ads. Ask $2K ..... someone offers $1500, you counter with a price you're comfortable with .... and if a buyer agrees the drums sell. eBay will take 10% of the sale price (I'm not sure about Reverb's fee).

I watch the same drums on eBay and Reverb sit week after week, and month after month, and the buyer never budges off their asking price. I take it they're firm on what they want, and are fine to keep their drums until they get what they want.

Sellers who want to move their stuff, will lower their price until an item sells.

Also figure in cost of boxes and packing material. Not likely someone has a sturdy box around that's at leas 24x24x18 or so. Those boxes cost $20+. OP may have up to $60 buying boxes. Gonna nest drums gotta have a lot of quality packing material. OP is in $100 just for boxes and packing material. Shipping is a PITA. Some veteran Reverbers can do it for $300 but not a newbie. And OP risks damage in shipping because they're not familiar with shipping drums. I hate shipping drums. I'd rather drive 200 miles and meet someone than ship. That''s usually what I do - offer only local pick up, but will meet within $200 miles for an additional $50 and that's negotiable. I list on Craigslist at a bargain price and wait a long time before I use Reverb.
I provided a link in my first post for box purchase and instructions how to pack to my first post. I mentioned one could factor into the price however chosen for handling costs to get what they are minimally asking. OP tried CL and FBM already.

I provided a link in my first post for box purchase and instructions how to pack to my first post. I mentioned one could factor into the price however chosen for handling costs to get what they are minimally asking. OP tried CL and FBM already.
Good points.

I said OP may have up to $60 buying boxes. I wasn't far off. Shipping those boxes is still gonna be expensive. I did a quick FedEx rate Dallas to NYC. It was $500 just for the biggest box. Using UPS & Reverb shipping discount, it's $300. That's just for one box! OP would have one or two more boxes, too. They're shipping a lot of drums so probably 2 more boxes. Figure $200 for other 2 boxes each and it's $760 for shipping and packing using Reverb UPS to NYC. West coast probably similar. Maybe OP would get lucky and sell to a person in Houston, or Louisiana/ Oklahoma/New Mexico/ somewhere closer. They'd still be at $500 I think. You suggested selling it for $2500-$2800 on Reverb. If they took a risk and listed with only $300 shipping, it becomes a $2,800-$3,100 purchase for a potential buyer. If lucky enough to snag a buyer but they're in NYC then the net to buyer becomes around $2,300-$2,700. That would still be a lot more money than selling it on-the-cheap via Craigslist. Looking at it like that, probably worth a shot. But I'd lose sleep the entire time it was in transit worried about damage during shipping.

Good points.

I said OP may have up to $60 buying boxes. I wasn't far off. Shipping those boxes is still gonna be expensive. I did a quick FedEx rate Dallas to NYC. It was $500 just for the biggest box. Using UPS & Reverb shipping discount, it's $300. That's just for one box! OP would have one or two more boxes, too. They're shipping a lot of drums so probably 2 more boxes. Figure $200 for other 2 boxes each and it's $760 for shipping and packing using Reverb UPS to NYC. West coast probably similar. Maybe OP would get lucky and sell to a person in Houston, or Louisiana/ Oklahoma/New Mexico/ somewhere closer. They'd still be at $500 I think. You suggested selling it for $2500-$2800 on Reverb. If they took a risk and listed with only $300 shipping, it becomes a $2,800-$3,100 purchase for a potential buyer. If lucky enough to snag a buyer but they're in NYC then the net to buyer becomes around $2,300-$2,700. That would still be a lot more money than selling it on-the-cheap via Craigslist. Looking at it like that, probably worth a shot. But I'd lose sleep the entire time it was in transit worried about damage during shipping.
I think that sounds pretty reasonable for what you have. With the nesting, you have to take the hoops off which takes some extra effort but need nothing more than a drum key, just organize the components. From recent RIMS purchase, it makes more sense to unscrew the mount plate (only 3 screws) and then you can make it flat and have more space. I should mention there is a reverb video on how to ship drums (similar to Sound Pure). Last year I tried to sell a bass on Craiglist and got nothing but spam, scam emails and naked pictures (seriously)....not to mention have to meet a potentially seedy character for a money exchange, not using it again. I tried Reverb and it taught me how to ship a guitar correctly (I had no idea) and the whole experience was far more simple than I realized and got more than I would have locally, even after fees.

If you need to unload them quickly, then take them to Guitar Center. Just keep in mind you'll probably get half of what you expect. $2000 seems like a reasonable price, but the market is just coming out of the winter doldrums (no pun intended) at this point. As someone else said, once income tax refunds start coming in, money will start flowing again. Sometimes, It takes a while to get drums like this sold. If you list them on craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, you'll get a lot of bottom feeders who will try to lowball you. You'll have a better chance of getting your price on Reverb or Ebay, but keep in mind they have their fees. If you have to ship the drums, any good pack 'n ship store can handle that for you, but make sure you don't lose money on shipping.

I'd list them on FM Marketplace, craigslist, Reverb and Ebay. If they sell, you can always cancel the ads elsewhere. Make sure you take good pictures. Good luck.

Back