How many toms you got

between all the drum kits I own, I have:

The combinations are endless
Just curious. Because I'm planning on having three kits as well. Kinda like a small, medium, and large format very similar to yours. What or how do you utilize all those kits and for what applications? I'm thinking a jazz/top 40/classic metal type thing for myself. :cool:

Just curious. Because I'm planning on having three kits as well. Kinda like a small, medium, and large format very similar to yours. What or how do you utilize all those kits and for what applications? I'm thinking a jazz/top 40/classic metal type thing for myself. :cool:
I use the 14,18,24 for doom and other heavy metal applications.

Currently using the 13,16,22 for practicing at home and jamming with some dudes. This would be my main kit, but...

I use the 12,14,20 for cover bands stuff since it often requires low volume and small stages.

Last edited:
3 toms but I like playing 4. 3 up one down.

First comment - the graph is right up there with the saying "less is more" as another misguided attempt to simplify something that can't be made that simple.

So for me personally - my home base these days is three toms (2 up - 1 down) - I'll add above or below that if I feel the music is served by doing so. For those times, I need to play only two toms, or one, or none...... I simply don't play them. In line with the idea that - I play the drums, the drums don't play me. :cool:

I just reconfigured my double bass set to one up, two down. It's weird relearning the muscle memory fills with one up. I appreciate the simplicity and love a big sound groove drummer on a small kit making the kit sound like a huge kit

So you're saying all these guys are hacks?

stevesmithsonor550.jpg

simonphillips3.jpg

billycobham740.jpg

tonywilliams5j6t.jpg

vinniecolaiutagretsch2.jpg
Absolutely.

The setup for this weekend cover gig was going to have only a single 13" mounted tom, and I told an accomplished local drummer of the plan. He advised me to consider a floor tom too.

I'm waffling now. But lugging gear is getting old. Think I'll take it but not use it.

Well I technically have 8 total; 5 Superstars and 3 Pearls. Preparing to sell the house and packing up everything non essential including drums and stereo equipment. A sad day :(.

p.s. I am letting the skeleton out of the closet

Attachments

• 4E79C4B7-05E5-4A28-B408-710EE0CC7D86.jpeg
    4E79C4B7-05E5-4A28-B408-710EE0CC7D86.jpeg
    530.6 KB · Views: 16
Wish I was ready to sell this house. Jealous.

Anyway, I took 2 toms to gig with last night and attempted to play only 1 but I slipped a little before catching myself and struck the floor tom about 3-4 times because it was there. Doubtful, it is to me, that anyone in the audience other than a drummer would notice the limited drums by my playing or the kit appearance.

I'm going forward with the single tom setup. The 13" I'm using might get replaced with my 12" and then the 13" or a 14" will be a fail safe left off the kit.

I currently have two up and one down. But, my innards get all quivery when I think of another floor tom. So, two and two is my goal.

Two rack toms and 1 floor tom, no room for anything else... limited space. I do have a third rack tom but unfortunately no place to put it.

It ain't turkey season. But the limit is two Toms which sounds just about right to me. So two toms for the win-Alec
I've thought about just two floor toms and no hanging tom-less chance of sympathetic snare buzz from a neighbor tom-and I can get my cymbals closer for ergonomic comfort.

Last edited:
Back