How many rides and hi hat pairs do you have?

Hats:
12” Zildjian Re-Mix
13” Zildjian K top/ A New Beat bottom
14” Zildjian K Custom Dark
14” Paiste Twenty Series Light Hi-Hats

Rides:
20” A Custom Flat
20” K Custom Dry Light Ride
20” Nicky Moon customized Sabian HH ride
20” K Con. Light Ride with 3 Rivets
21” A Sweet Ride (old one)
21” AAX Stage Ride
22” XS20 Monarch
22” AA Apollo
22” K Light Ride
22” K Con. Bounce Ride
22” K Con. Swish (Sound Lab)

Got two rides. Got the second one because I wasn’t happy with the first after a few years. Been playing the same 22” Zildjian rock ride for 40 years (with a 25 year break in between).

I have the same set of 14” Zildjian New Beat HH’s that I bought used in the early 70’s.

Now crashes, splashes, China’s - Wow way too many.

Wow, some impressive collections!

I have two of each, all Paiste. It's all I need.

14" Signature Traditionals Medium Light
13" 2002 Sound Edge

20" 602 Medium
20" Signature Dark Energy Mark I

I currently have three pairs of hi-hats and one ride:

13 in. Custom Zildjians- Great bright sound but a bit small

Old 14 in New Beat Zildjians from a garage sale- great gritty, dark sound, my favorite.

Beginners 14 in Sabian- sound like crap on their own (really tin-y) but when stacked with the 13 in. sounds like a trashy China.

20 in Zildjian rock ride: great dark sound for crashes and normal hits but a really sharp bell sound.

Rides
21” K Sweet
20” K Custom Dark
21” A Sweet

Hats
15” K Sweet
14” K Custom Dark
14” A New Beats

The A’s pretty much always go together. I’ll change around the K’s depending on mood/music. My favorites are the K Sweets as they play nicely with just about any music and venue so I appreciate their versatility while still maintaining an expressive character. The custom darks can be a little delicate and the A’s can be a bit too in your face depending on venue and music but they certainly have their place.

I don't really use crashes, but have a couple. I'm including the multis.

Up until recently I had mostly vintage 2002s and a few other peices. Things got pretty out of hand the past couple of months. I'm still in the market for some other Masters and 602 classics. Maybe some Dimensions if I can find the ones I want.

Anyway, 11 rides, 5 hats.

2002 Black Big Beat:
15" Hats
18"- 1372
19"
20"
22"

2002 vintage:
14" Sound Edge top - 986
18" Ride - 1638
20" Ride - 2196
20" Flat Ride - 2258
22" Ride - 2986

3000:
20" Flat Ride - 2226

Dimensions:
18" Light Ride (2 rivets) - 1614
14" Thin/heavy - 860/1476

Masters:
22" Thin

602 Classic:
14" Sound Edge

Sound Formula:
14" Medium/Heavy - 906/1314

Signature:
14" Sound Edge bottom - 1144

My first post on this forum, although I've been a frequent visitor for a long time.

Rides
Sabian
21" HH Vintage Ride - versatile, fantastic ride, great crash as well

Zildjian
21" A Custom Anniversary - Basically a Zildjian version of the HH Vintage, fantastic and I use it all the time on various gigs
20" K Ride - good but not great, bought on a whim and may sell soon
21" K Custom Special Dry Ride - great for lower volume gigs, lovely stick definition
23" K Sweet Ride - bought used for a great price. Awesome cymbal, really versatile and full of character
19" A Beautiful Baby with rivets - lovely cymbal, I don't use this very much but love it.

I've owned lots of others, 20 and 22 Sabian Artisan Mediums, 21 HH RBDR, 20 AA Medium, Zildjian K 20 Flat Ride, 22 K Custom Medium and probably a few more.
I'm happy wih my current ride cymbals, although on the lookout for something a little brighter. Maybe a 22 A Medium or similar.

Hi Hats
Sabian
14" AA Flat Hats - these were my only hats for quite a while, great all round sound

Zildjian
14" A New Beats - classic, quite bright and great for rock
14" K Hats (2016) - These are my go to hats, using them for everything at the moment
14" K Hats (late 90's) - Warmer and thinner than my newer pair, lovely.
15" K Sweet Hats - haven't used these muc yet, only got them a few days ago, seem pretty special.

Regret selling a pair of Sabian 14" HH Dark Hats, they were absolutely great, nice and warm and not at all harsh.

Three hats:
- Dream Bliss 14
- Sabian AA Fusion 13
- Zildjian New Beat 14

5 rides:
- Dream Bliss 22
- Meinl Byzance Big Apple Ride 20
- Sabian Vault Ed Thigpen Crystal Ride 18
- Sabian old AAX Dry Ride 20 (as a representative of Sabian told me looking at pics)
- Zildjian Avedis (70´s) 22

Hi. Can you tell me with what other ride do you usually use your Ed Thigpen Crystal and if there is good chemistry with the Bliss and the Avedis? I can buy one S/H but I can't try it before.Thanks

I have nine rides:
18" Cymbal & Gong Holy Grail medium sizzle
20" Cymbal & Gong custom
20" A. Zildjian medium
20" Agop Turk jazz ride
22" Cymbal & Gong Holy Grail
22" Paiste Sound Creation dark ride
22" Paiste 602 dark ride
22" Paiste 602 medium ride
22" Sabian AAX raw ride sizzle

Three hihats:
13" Bosphorus Turk lights
14" Cymbal & Gong Holy Grail mediums
14" Paiste Sound Creation dark sound edge

I rarely use anything but the Cymbal & Gongs any more.

I was thinking last night and realized I have been playing the same pair of hi hats and ride for almost 10 years now. I love both of these cymbals, but am thinking about investing in a new ride and pair of hats. I kind of want to change up my sound.

So, how many do you own (of each)? And what are they (brand/ model)?

I am a professional recording engineer and amateur drummer so my perspective may be different from others here.

Rides - I can see having multiples of. Very different sounds needed for different songs/styles.

HH's - I think a basic set of 14" New Beats can cover anything IMO. I've had drummers come in with all sorts of HH's. BIG HH's seem to be the recent trend. I usually pull out my old 14" New Beats and everyone is suddenly happy. :)

Hi. Can you tell me with what other ride do you usually use your Ed Thigpen Crystal and if there is good chemistry with the Bliss and the Avedis? I can buy one S/H but I can't try it before.Thanks
It's been a while I didn't use the Ed Thigpen ride but I tried it once with the Bliss (Bliss used as a crash). However, the volume of the Crystal ride is quite limited. Not sure I would use it with my 22 old Avedis... It's really a ride for soft jazz but I think you already know it. Sorry if I can't help more!

It's been a while I didn't use the Ed Thigpen ride but I tried it once with the Bliss (Bliss used as a crash). However, the volume of the Crystal ride is quite limited. Not sure I would use it with my 22 old Avedis... It's really a ride for soft jazz but I think you already know it. Sorry if I can't help more!
Thanks anyway, I've bought it this morning and just put in my kit.
His volume is more than enough for my use.
Now I only need to find a good 20 or 22 ride companion.

I rarely use anything but the Cymbal & Gongs any more.
Yes! I'm still very satisfied with mine and have actually sold some other cymbals since getting them. As the saying goes "Once you go grail, the rest is a fail" (my slogans suck)
I still have some other good ones, though that I can use at different rehearsal places. Some I just don't want to sell because I got them for dirt cheap or because they don't sell for a lot of money.

Last edited:
Hats (4)
12" PST X DJ45 (Aux)
14" Alpha Med
14" 900 Heavy
15" Giant Beat

Rides (4)
20" PST Light Ride
20" Giant Beat Multi (Mainly used as a crash)
22" 2002 Ride
22" Giant Beat Multi

This is my fourth response to this topic.

Ride
AAX 20" Dry ride
AAX 19" X-plosion Crash (used as a crash-ride)

Hats
SR2 14" Hats (heavy bottom, medium top)

Peace and goodwill.

Yes! I'm still very satisfied with mine and have actually sold some other cymbals since getting them. As the saying goes "Once you go grail, the rest is a fail" (my slogans suck)

Nice, I'll pass that along to Tim, C&G's proprietor! Maybe he has a testimonials page on his site. I'm glad those cymbals are working for you-- I liked both of them a lot. Sorry we didn't get to hang more in June. That was one of the more hilarious transactions ever.

For everyone else, last year I met SF and a college friend from Munich in a train station parking lot in Augsburg, Germany, to deliver SF's 22" ride, and a 22" to my friend-- who also brought some Ks along to play. So we were out testing cymbals and hanging out in traffic. Good times.

Now for my fifth response to this topic:
AAX 20" Dry ride
AAX 19" X-plosion Crash (used as a crash-ride)

I ended up taking both of the above cymbals to church. I brought home an HHX 21" Evolution Ride, which is very crashable.

SR2 14" Hats (heavy bottom, medium top)

I still have these hats. Peace and goodwill.

14 new beats...bought new in '81
14 A Customs...used the most I'd say
15 K Darks...
I've split the sets up, mixing tops and bottoms and also used a 14 dream bliss crash in a hh setup.... which was interesting.

21 A sweet ride (very complex n crashy)
22 deep ride (another remnant from my 80s sets)
21 ping ride (currently on my set)

All Paiste

Hats:
14" 2002 red label mediums, regular bottom (early 80's)
15" 2002 Big Beat

Rides (includes multi's):
20" Signature Dry Ride
20" 2002 Big Beat
22" 2002 Big Beat

My regular gigging/practice setup is black label Big Beat 15" hats/20"/22" (my default ride), with a 20" 2002 red label crash on my right. I do use all three cymbals as rides at various points, but the 22" is in the traditional ride position.
If I had to bring just one cymbal for a stripped-down gig, it would be the 20" Big Beat.
My 14" hats are for recording or more traditional louder rock tones, and my 20" Dry Ride is for more modern tones. It also has the best bell tone of any Paiste I've ever heard.
The 15" hats took a while to get used to, as they are a lower darker fundamental tone, and I had to tweak my bottom tilt to get a more pronounced 'chick', but now they are my absolute faves. I love the way they sit back in the overall mix.

Back